Smee! Don't talk me out of it, talk me out of it, Smee!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

SoMDStargazer

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 10, 2010
Southern Maryland
In case you don't remember, that quote is loosely based from the movie Hook, with Dustin Hoffman and Robin Williams.

It kind of illustrates my request. I've been lurking here and on the other forums at the site for a little over a week now. I've been soaking up as much as I can on the pros and cons of both the Dish and Direct systems. I have to say that I'm leaning toward Direct at the time although the reported sluggishness of the HR* DVR has me a bit worried. On the other hand their upcoming innovations n the 3D, multi-room viewing and slightly better HD quality has me intrigued.

So what I want you to do is talk me out of it! Or don't talk me out of it! Tell me why the move to Direct is or is not a good one.

Some background: I am committed to dropping Comcast as soon as I can. I've just had it with their lack of good HD quality and choice and service. In addition I can't stand it that they have a monopoly here in S. MD They show it by not giving a rat's you know what about customer service.

I'm not so concerned about the extra dough Directv costs over Dish as they are both cheaper than Comcast. I don't use PPV or Premium Channels so the line up from both seems to be on par for my desires. I do care about being able to access shows over my LAN and goo operational features in the DVR however. As near as I can tell Directv is about overdue for a new DVR and have been reading all the rumors and sightings of one on the way, which gives me hope....

Anyway let me hear what you have to say!

Thanks
SoMDStarGazer

I've been a DTV (DirecTV) subs since '99 so I can't compare Dish or another landline providers with what I have, but it's been my perception from being on 2 satt forums, that:

- If you're primarily a sports fan, DTV is the way to go. They have the most overall sports programming choices available, even without the current "VS/Comcast" battle which is the reason that DTV isn't carrying VS at present.

- HD Movie Channel choices: Since I've never sub'ed to Dish, I'm going by the posts I've read here for awhile. If you're primary interest is HD movie choices, DTV may not be the way to go. From what I've read, there are other providers that carry more HD movie channels than DTV. That said, keep in mind that DTV has recently launched a new bird (D12) which is currently in test mode. Most here expect D12 to begin active service sometime in April/May, which will add HD channel capacity.

- HD Boxes: Here's where, again my perception, Dish has the current advantage from what I read on this forum. MRV, response time, etc. I have the DTV HR-22 box and I agree, that the response time isn't the greatest. But it does what I need so the slow response issue isn't a deal-breaker for me.

Bottom line for me: Since my primary interest is sports programming, I've stayed with DTV over the years. Unless that changed in a big way, I won't be switching providers. True, DTV isn't the HD movie leader from what I've read here, but they carry enough movie channels to satisfy me. What I'd like to see is for DTV to carry more HD movie channels that they already have, ie, the "Encore's" and their current movie channels all in HD.

Welcome!!

I've had Dish before, my dad currently does, but I have had DirecTV for 5 years or so.

I have two HR DVR's. One is the HR20-700 which I have had the longest. It is not slow, and I am very happy with it. The other one is the HR21-100. It is a little slower to respond to remote commands, but it doesn't bug me too much.

MRV (currently under testing in the CE forum) is a great new feature. There is concern that DirecTV may charge extra for it, but there is no definate answer yet. MRV is far superior to the Dish Network so called MRV. There's is an SD only option, and it ties up a tuner. I can be recording two programs on my DVR in my bedroom, all while my wife is watching a previously recorded program. At the same time, I can watch a different recorded program from that same receiver on my other HR in the living room....and it's in HD! Very cool!

Sports...if you like sports, DirecTV is the leader. I have the sports pack so I can watch all my hometown college football games. You get a boatload of regional sports networks....plus DirecTV has NFLST....

I don't know that the HD picture quality is better on DirecTV than Dish. My dad has the same Panasonic plasma that I do, and the picture quality looks as good. Although I have never looked at them side by side.

The reason I switched from Dish to DirecTV is because of customer service. DirecTV is getting worse, not better, but it's still way better than Dish, based on my experience.

DirecTV to PC is another cool feature. I love being able to watch football while I am paying bills in my home office.....

Honestly, it's a tough choice. Dish has more HD right now....but that will change in a few months. It will always go back and forth. I think Dish will have a real MRV solution in the next year. If sports is not an issue, I don't think you can go wrong either way...

This is an amazing community! Thanks so much for the comments so far. Don't stop!

The problem is every time I read one forum or the other I change my mind in favor of the forum I'm reading. Jeez! Sports is not that important to me BTW. Best technology and gadgetry is. I would be crushed if I get the DTV solution an have to live with a sluggish PVR. I wish there was some way to test them both out!

Don't sign a contract! pretty soon there won't be any techs willing to do service work on them, and you'll be stuck trying to fix it yourself.

I switched from Dish (VIP622) to Direct (HR23) in October '08 because Direct has the programming I want, I haven't found the DVR to be a problem, although my use of it may be lighter than average, only recording one or two programs a week.
I usually advise folks to select the programming they want and learn to live with the equipment. From what I've read, either providers DVR is better than the cable offerings. I've been a satellite customer since before the DVR was commonly available, so no experience.

GL, Eric

This just in.... it's Dish by a mile

Just wanted to let you guys know I went with E* today. Took the 2 year contract and 2 Single HD rcvrs and 1 dual HD DVR rcvr and the Classic Gold 250 plus extra HD. Also found a coupon for extra $5 off per month.

The install is scheduled for this Saturaday am. I think I made the right call based on all the good ifon available on this awesome site. So much knowledge here!

Thanks to all who provided info to help me decide. Thanks to the owners for making this resource available.

You'll find me on the Dish Network forums and any of the cutting edge sections as I tend to push my tech to the limits. (this is my kung-fu!).

Ciao
SoMDStarGazer

"And don't you daaaaare try to stop me this time Smee try to stop me. Smee, you better get up off your oss and get over here Smee! This is not a joke! I'm committing...sui-cide....!"

Just wanted to let you guys know I went with E* today. Took the 2 year contract and 2 Single HD rcvrs and 1 dual HD DVR rcvr and the Classic Gold 250 plus extra HD. Also found a coupon for extra $5 off per month.

The install is scheduled for this Saturaday am. I think I made the right call based on all the good ifon available on this awesome site. So much knowledge here!

Thanks to all who provided info to help me decide. Thanks to the owners for making this resource available.

You'll find me on the Dish Network forums and any of the cutting edge sections as I tend to push my tech to the limits. (this is my kung-fu!).

Ciao
SoMDStarGazer

Whatever.....enjoy your dish....;)

seriously though.....sounds like you made a good choice. Enjoy!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)