Smithsonian HD dropped and replaced with Crime & Investigation HD

It appears that Smithsonian is no longer listed in the HD packages on DirecTv's website...is it possible that they have stopped broadcasting?

That's because it was never a part of regular HD package. It is a $4.99 separate HD package which includes HDNet movies Paladia and Universal. But it is still there.

Another reason to drop them. They always do this to their customers. You enjoy a channel and one day you wake up and it is gone. Why be a customer when you never know what will happen with your program. Just look at their history and you will see what I mean.

Im sorry, I am not trying to be a Directv fanboy, but its little things like this that would get me steamed as a customer, channels come and go, but to wake up with no warning, its unacceptable!!!

Each time I think about looking into Dish services, seeing whats it like on the "other side" its little things like this that for ME keep me away

I really enjoyed Smithsonian HD. I wonder if 'HD Absolute' subs like me will get this channel back (if it ever does comes back), or if we'll just be left out in the cold since we aren't supposed to be entitled to "new HD". :(

Actually, maybe they are trying to force Showtime to sign a new deal.

I seem to recall that when the TMP HD was added, there were some take down slates added that looked like they would be remapped to some Viacom channels. Then, there was a new Viacom deal announced.

If they hoping to make a big splash next week with HD launches, they probably want Showtime to get onboard.

Just a theory.
showtime/CBS are a seperate company from viacom now a days

Nash Bridges right now is in HD. Twin Peaks, Female Forces, Mobsters, Crime 360, The first 48, 24, Philly are all listed as HD today as well.

Anybody know if CI is in the upper tier of HD programming? Thinking about dropping that level once everything settles down after the price increase to save a few bucks.

Still listening to BS. I told him I'm dropping all 3 of my accounts because they dropped VOOM,GOL,and now. Its official. No smithsonian. And Everything pack is now $3 more per month. So my Bill went up $3 .

Don't worry, it's just Charlie saving us some more money.

Besides, Dish knows that after the initial uproar (which, frankly, won't be all that great) the anger over this channel drop will be forgotten and actually turned, by some, into a good thing; e.g. presages new channels, frees up bandwidth. Charlie has trained us well. :)

Wonder what's next.

Last edited:
SmithsonianHD is still in my FiOS TV channel lineup. While I feel that EquatorHD was a 10X better, we occasionally come across an enjoyable show every now and then. Anyway, sorry to hear E* yanked this channel...this is something I never got used to in my 3 years of Dish Network service (my wife still remembers when they yanked all the Lifetime channels on New Years Day 2006). I highly recommend FiOS TV for anyone who can get it...2 million customers and growing by 100k each month.

Another call to Dish to drop another Programming Package, I only watched 2 channels on Platinum HD, and now 1 of them is gone, not worth the $10 now. Also dropping all movie channels other than HBO until they get more of them in HD, especially Showtime.

Got $20 for 3 months credit. He was english speaking too.. But this still sucks. He said they launched 64 channels this year....:rolleyes: I said List them! :p He said he can't. I said thats what I thought.:mad:.
He said Sorry.:haha:river

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)