Snow and Ice on dish

Chuck Summers

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 23, 2016
KIrksville, Mo.
Hey guys, I was wondering if any sprays would keep snow and ice off my dish and avoid outages. Or will a spray such as cooking sprays hurt the dish. If this a stupid question sorry, but I'm stupid too, just ask my wife

Reactions: Josephinelcajon
I put boot waterproofing on my 12 footer. Works like a peach. I still have to remember to put it at it's lower arc when it snows heavy. But a quick brooming off is all it needs.
On my friends DN dish we put a clear trash bag over it and binder clipped it to the rim. Then gave it a good spray of silicone lube and wiped it in. So far, so good. Better anyways.

Reactions: Chuck Summers
I have a short length of garden hose (dish is not far from outdoor water faucet) and if it gets snow or ice on the dish and I lose reception I just spray it off with the hose. I have also used a pitcher of warm water before (dish is on a pole about 3ft off the ground) and that works well. Snow/ice doesn't interfere with signal very often so I have not really tried any treatments to prevent the snow altogether before. Hmmmm.

Another reason why the newer ones are darker and black versus the light gray. Just like a blacktop driveway, even it gets snow on it, if a little bit is exposed, as soon as the sun comes out it will absorb the heat and no more snow after about 30 minutes or so. I haven't done anything to the dish and even after a heavy snow, in the morning, it's clear again.

None of the sprays will work .... those ideas were thought about 20 years ago.
I lot of the sprays eventually get sticky, which you wouldn't want.

As for the bag idea, I would think that snow would still build up in areas of the bag, possibly causing issues, maybe not.

I have had 6" of snow built up on my dish and its worked great ....
It all depends on the type of snow, normal snow won't bother it, it's the WET and Heavy snow (packing type) that causes issue the most.

The few times we get that I get my coat on and go out and clear it off .

My solution may be a little unorthodox, but it works: I have two dishes. My Western Arc dish is mounted on my roof. So, as a backup, I also have an Eastern Arc dish mounted on the house, closer to ground level. It is very rare that signal will go out on both dishes at the same time. So, when signal goes out on one receiver, I just switch to a receiver that is connected to the other dish, and keep watching. On the rare occasion when both dishes lose signal due to snow, the Eastern Arc dish is easy enough to get to, so I can brush the snow off.

My solution may be a little unorthodox, but it works: I have two dishes. My Western Arc dish is mounted on my roof. So, as a backup, I also have an Eastern Arc dish mounted on the house, closer to ground level. It is very rare that signal will go out on both dishes at the same time. So, when signal goes out on one receiver, I just switch to a receiver that is connected to the other dish, and keep watching. On the rare occasion when both dishes lose signal due to snow, the Eastern Arc dish is easy enough to get to, so I can brush the snow off.
You're such an over-acheiver lol

Reactions: charlesrshell
Battery heaters or block heaters work great, plug them in when snow is coming, nothing sticks...Get the ones that are flexible and have adhesive on one side.

Hey guys, I was wondering if any sprays would keep snow and ice off my dish and avoid outages. Or will a spray such as cooking sprays hurt the dish. If this a stupid question sorry, but I'm stupid too, just ask my wife

I have a pool and discovered using the pool brush and pole work great to reach the dish high up and gently brush the snow away.

Reactions: Stormy_2021