snow fade w/ current metro NY storm

jsmythe

Original poster
Dec 17, 2008
NJ, USA
this is the second time since my install last week that i got snow fade. i have a 1000.4 dish and these are my current readings after i got signal again.

satellite 61.5 - transponder 29 = 40
satellite 77 - transponder 21 = 36

earlier they were both zero.

i was eyeballing my dish setup because it looks like this huge sycamore is in the way. the installer said it was really not and there was a clear path but i think if he had just moved it a couple of feet to the side it would be a clear shot of that part of the sky. i'm surprised at the snow fade, in the years i had directv with my SD dish i probably got it no more than 3 times. the 1000.4 is a monster compared to my old one.

any input would be appreciated....

Those signals are pretty low assuming that there is not snow piled up on the dish and youre in the middle of the storm now, signals should be in the high 50's (at least in our market area in michigan ) under reasonable conditions.

I have noticed that since there is such a high elevation of the 1000.4 dishes snow piles up on them very easily. make sure the snow is clear off of it and spray some silicone lubricant on the dish to help prevent buildup.

IF signals are still low after conditions settle and the dish is cleared off you may want to retune the dish

hmmm, yes i did notice that higher elevation but don't think i had much snow buildup. i don't consider myself being in the frigid north anymore, not for the last 15 years anyway. are those dish warmers recommended? where can i get one for the 1000.4?

I had the same storm here in Wisconsin that your getting now. I had NO fade at all, although I have a 1000.2 dish with a 61.5 wing dish. They tried selling me the 1000.4, but seeing I install these things and at the time they were new to our area and seemed to have a lot of issues, I declined the 1000.4 offer and went with the much more reliable 1000.2

I just got the 1004, and had no snow fade due the storm. My dish is also pointed at a huge tree, which the installer said that it clears with no problem. On a clear day my signal strength for the 61.5 is in 50's and 60's and the 72, it is in the upper 40's. The installer said that the 77 is not being used yet.

I just got the 1004, and had no snow fade due the storm. My dish is also pointed at a huge tree, which the installer said that it clears with no problem. On a clear day my signal strength for the 61.5 is in 50's and 60's and the 72, it is in the upper 40's. The installer said that the 77 is not being used yet.

i got the "77" from tech support. i'll check 72. i think it's probably not peaked right now. i checked last night and this morning and the readings were about the same...

I came home the other night in a snowstorm and my VIP211 could not acquire any satellites. I too thought it was the snow loading in some trees in the line-of-sight.

After a little thought I went up and had a look at the dish. The bottom half of the dish was full of snow effectively off-pointing from the elevation of the satellites. Also, the snow in the dish created a convex bulge which dispersed the energy instead of focusing it on the LNA.

Swept the dish out with a broom and voila! I made TV lol! :)