Snow - first winter with Dish

MartyB

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 20, 2005
Elwood, IN
I'm hoping this isn't any indication of what to expect for the rest of the winter, but, when I woke up this morning and turned on the TV, I have the acquiring signal message on the screen, then I got a message saying that there was a problem found with the switch. I ran the switch check and everything tested ok. At the moment, I'm only getting about a 70 on the signal levels for both 110 and 119. (It has been between 90 and 100 in the past) Granted, I have not gone outside and looked to see if there is snow piling up on the dish, but, I'm wondering if there is something wrong with our setup due to I had experienced quite a bit of rain fade in the first few months of having Dish. I've read a number of posts on the boards and talked to a couple of friends locally that also have Dish that say even during heavy rains they don't experience any loss of signal.
So... I guess my question here is, is there anything I can do within the system setup to enhance reception, decrease loss of signal? (short of climbing up onto the roof, that is)

Sorry...not too much you can do from the remote control/receiver end of things. It definately sounds like you need to have that dish cleaned off. If and when you do go up there to brush it off, may I recommend...don't laugh...spraying some cooking spray on the reflector. A greasy and oily surface does wonders towards preventing snow buildup

I would say you need the Dish reaimed. The only time snow effects the signal is during a VERY heavy snow fall or a wet snow when the snow sticks to the Dish and usually when the snow is wet and sticking to the Dish it isn't too cold outside and the snow melts away in a few hours.

Snow has not affected my reception- but some ice buildup on the LNB has. Not a frequent or long lasting problem.

I've been through two heavy wet snowfalls with my Dish 500s and they didn't miss a second. The installer did a good job, but I was able to get roughly another 10 signal level points after repeaking both dishes: 110/119 almost all are 100+ with only a few in the 90s; 61.5 Rainbow-1 (VOOM) are 106-110 and EchoStar3 are typically 108-115. The only time I lose the birds in when a thunderstorm in almost on top of us. Even then, it only last a minute or two.

During our latest snow (heavy and wet) the signal level would drop to 70s on 110/119 and low-to-mid 60s on 61.5, but they never dropped. Again, if you can get gain another 5-10 points re-aiming the dish then your reception will only improve during inclement weather. Also, trying a rain fade product may also help.

I second the wax option. We got 8" the other night and my dish is perfectly clean.

*waiting for Dish to get Voom straightened out before switching*

Thank you all for the replies! I knew I'd get some good info/suggestions here. I will try the wax suggestion (once the weather gets a bit warmer) ;-) Tonight, my signal strenghth is right around 94 on both 110/119, and haven't had any problems since early this morning.

I read somewhere that Rain-X (for winshields) on a dish helps. I tried it and have much less snow buildup on my dish.
James Daniel Bishop

It could be that moisture is causing the switch's connection to flake out. I know our connections are good here, but our signal goes to crap when it rains real bad (60s). I think it might need a repeak, *shrug*, I'll think about it :)

"Does anyone want to wax my d1000" sounds so dirty to me for some reason...

Snow doesn't cause any problems. I've had the whole dish covered in snow and still had good reception. The lightest rain it starts fading like a mo-fo...

DanB33 said:
I read somewhere that Rain-X (for winshields) on a dish helps. I tried it and have much less snow buildup on my dish.
James Daniel Bishop

Rain-X does not last as long a wax.

Remember that snow accumulation, and how long it stays will in part depend on where you are.

My 61.5 & 148 dishes NEVER hold snow. Elevation in the 20's means the dish pan is near vertical. OTOH, my D500 with an elevation of 43 holds snow often, and for long periods (depending on weather conditions - wet snow in sunlight becomes iced on when the temp drops 20 degrees in the evening).

If it's s concern where you are, and brushing it off is difficult, get a dish cover.

MartyB said:
I'm hoping this isn't any indication of what to expect for the rest of the winter, but, when I woke up this morning and turned on the TV, I have the acquiring signal message on the screen, then I got a message saying that there was a problem found with the switch. I ran the switch check and everything tested ok. At the moment, I'm only getting about a 70 on the signal levels for both 110 and 119. (It has been between 90 and 100 in the past) Granted, I have not gone outside and looked to see if there is snow piling up on the dish, but, I'm wondering if there is something wrong with our setup due to I had experienced quite a bit of rain fade in the first few months of having Dish. I've read a number of posts on the boards and talked to a couple of friends locally that also have Dish that say even during heavy rains they don't experience any loss of signal.
So... I guess my question here is, is there anything I can do within the system setup to enhance reception, decrease loss of signal? (short of climbing up onto the roof, that is)

I recommend to every custoer the use of PAM or any othe nonstick frying pan coating..If you expect winter precip and can get to the dish, spray the stuff on the dish......
If you are not on one of the corners of the country you should be getting 90' to 100 on a 4 digit model reciver and at least 110+ on the 119 sat and about 10 pts lower on the 110 degree sat....Have the dish repeaked

at least 110+ on the 119 sat and about 10 pts lower on the 110 degree sat
Incorrect - unless you're talking about certain spotbeams.

Especially because some receivers maxout at 100. :cool:

There's several other factors involved, too.

TP 11 + 12 on 119 and 110 give me about mid 80's on 110 and mid 90's on 119 on my 625. Even when it rains and it's overcast it actually doesn't change. The levels stay the same no matter what the weather's like.

MartyB said:
I'm hoping this isn't any indication of what to expect for the rest of the winter, but, when I woke up this morning and turned on the TV, I have the ...
Not that you have much choice now, but any one getting a new dish setup is best to make sure its where they can reach it with a broom. I haven't had it happen often, but here in the NY area, nothing can keep a major blizzard from depositing a thick layer of snow on your dish.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)