Snow of Dish

mtnman1449

Original poster
Nov 27, 2009
denver
I have two Dish Network satellite dishes on my roof. Is there a way or a substance that can be used to keep the snow from building up on the dishes and interrupting reception? I've heard it's ok to use WD-40, Pam, or silicone spray. Is there something better or are any of those products good for that purpose? Any problems? Thanks.

Last edited:
That link is for paying members ONLY. Any other way to see how to prevent the build up of snow? I won't pay to be a member again since Scott killed the Voom thread.

He never gave a satisfactory reason to me as to why as well. If people wanted to moan and groan there, he should have let them.

Looks to me like the answer is going to cost you...

A large black trash bag draped over the dish doesn't affect the signal at all. I've been spraying PAM with little success. Just put a bag over the dish and no signal loss. Not trekking out in the snow to clean the dish will be a chore not missed this winter.

Thanks for the tip!

If you have this problem consistently, then a dish heater is the best option. Sometimes they pop up on ebay heavily discounted.

Otherwise, the "Ice Zapper" dish heater is probably the best value.

Do not use WD40 or Pam, because bugs and dirt then stick to the dish - silicone spray is much better.

Black trash bag can work, depending on your location (type of snow).

Do not use Pam. I tried it years back on a Dish 500 and it did little to reduce snow accumulation. However, come summer, it fries to the dish and turns it yellow, very unpleasant looking. I'm still looking for something else to put on the dish, might try the Rain-X idea as dry silicone just doesn't look like it would work based on my other uses of it in an outdoor environment.

I used rain-X yesterday right b4 the storm, I have three dish's... Used rain-x on two of the three. The dish that I did not use the rain-x on is covered with ice and wet snow. The other two don't have so much as a single snow flake.
Rain-X is the way to go it seems.

The remaining question is - how long before you need to reapply the Rain-X ??

However, regardless of that, it is better to go out and do something to your dish when it is sunny and clear than when it is pouring snow at night !

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)