Snowy screen since new CUI

bnewt

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 6, 2003
Shepherdsville, Ky
since the "upgrade" to the new cui on my hws......when I choose the input to watch dish, I get a snowy screen instead of the screen saver. did not have this problem until the upgrade

Need more data. Are you using an AV receiver, direct tv input from Dish receiver. What input are you changing? When you power on the HWS, does it show starting up or what?

the hws is connected via hdmi directly to tv............the same I have had it connected for 2 years

this problem just started with the new cui

Could be a "handshake" issue. I wonder, did the Carbon UI introduce any copyright protection features that the prior software on the HWS did not have. What is the brand and model of your TV? Have you tried the component outputs?

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

Once I had a bad HDMI cable that would cause snow on my TV. If I wiggled the cable it would intermittently work and then the video would cut out and the screen turned to snow. Have you tried a different HDMI cable?

Snow means you are not getting a signal from your HWS to the TV. Replace the HDMI cable or worse, it could be the HDMI port on either your HWS or TV.

It is not clear from the info given, exactly what the problem is.

Are you getting only snow on the screen, no picture at all, or do you have a picture but it is snowy like with a weak analog TV signal?

Reactions: TheKrell and Tampa8
I didn't know a TV could display a snowy screen anymore.

Good point, mine display a black screen if no signal and tell you there is no signal. With a digital signal present again no snow. Maybe if you are on the TV tuner and tune to a non digital station?

Good point, mine display a black screen if no signal and tell you there is no signal. With a digital signal present again no snow. Maybe if you are on the TV tuner and tune to a non digital station?

Especially since OP said it's connected via HDMI!

Reactions: Tampa8
It can't, but it can get digital hash, which looks a lot like snow (but is usually in color, mostly green)

The probable solution (and this is funny to me because of the last post I made) is to to unplug the TV and plug it back in. (you know...universal reset)

Reactions: pattykay
I didn't either until I saw it for myself just recently. Usually, with no HDMI signal you would get a black screen, but I just had a bad HDMI cable and it actually caused snow on my screen! The bad cable still passed audio OK, and it would intermittently work if I wiggled it. I should also say that after about 30-60 seconds of snow, the screen did eventually go black, but when I wiggled it again, the screen would be all snow for about another minute. The snow looked just like an analog TV that was not tuned to any channel! I was surprised.

I just checked my Samsung Plasma and when I select an HDMI input that has no cable connected, I get a snowy screen with black background.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts