So are you keeping Platinum HD after June 3rd?

Platinum HD Package? Drop or keep?

• Im dropping Platinum HD

Votes: 60 21.9%
  • Im keeing Platinum HD

Votes: 214 78.1%

• Total voters
Here is what will happen to existing subs after June 3rd from the "Free HD for life" thread now on page 2 of the forum...

This is from a Dish Network Retailer email from our distributor today:

Existing Customer Accounts Already Subscribing to the $10/mo. “HD & Platinum” Add-on Before June 3, 2010 – Existing customers who were subscribing to the $10/mo. “HD & Platinum” package prior to June 3, 2010, will be automatically grandfathered into “HD Free for Life” without being required to enter into a 24-month “HD Free for Life” commitment OR pay the $99 HD Programming Upgrade Fee. These customers will experience no price change due to their participation in this offer; they will receive “HD Free for Life” for the life of their account and will be charged for the $10/mo. HDPlatinum add-on package.

Existing Customer Accounts NOT Subscribing to the $10.mo. “HD & Platinum” Add-on Package Before June 3, 2010 – Existing customers who were NOT subscribing to the $10/mo. “HD & Platinum” package prior to June 3, 2010 may choose to participate in “HD Free for Life” by logging into their online customer account (or creating an online account if they do not have one yet) and selecting the “HD Free for Life” option, which will be indicated.
After selecting the “HD Free for Life” offer, customers may choose either the 24-month “HD Free for Life” commitment and accept the terms of the agreement within the online form, as well as set up Credit Card AutoPay AND Paperless Billing if they are not set up with them yet –OR– the $99 HD Programming Upgrade Fee and provide a credit card number for this charge (also within the online form).

OK, what do you bet Charlie logs into the accounts of all subscribers currently paying $10 for "HD + Platinum" and changes them to just $10 "HD"?

Just saying. :)

It would seem unfair since that did not occur for those who paid $10 for HD and $10 for Platinum HD for quite some time before realizing HD & Platinum for $10. My guess is that there are still subs who do not know about HD & Platinum for $10 and are still paying $10 alone for HD alone without the Platinum add-on. I think it may be wise for those not subbing to HD & Platinum to do so before June 3 if they want that especially those paying $10 only for HD especially if they can avoid that $5 downgrade fee.

Here is what will happen to existing subs after June 3rd from the "Free HD for life" thread now on page 2 of the forum...

Are the "free for life HD channels" the same HD channels that are now included in America's top packages for no extra charge?

If so, what kind of great deal is that from Dish?

Last edited:
So how long is "HD for Life" supposed to last? I bet "HD for Eternity" is going to be Charlie's next great promotion if he can cut a deal with you know who, but I imagine he will have to throw in ESPN 3D as the kicker for the jumbotrons in the sky!!! :angel:

so for those of us that have HD+Platinum our bill goes up $10.00 a month if we keep the Platinum pack as they are splitting it out again.

Nope. You just don't see any change for the HD Free for Life.

Folks need to read back a bit in these threads, you'd see this has been quoted twice.. and now a third time.
Existing Customer Accounts Already Subscribing to the $10/mo. “HD & Platinum” Add-on Before June 3, 2010 – Existing customers who were subscribing to the $10/mo. “HD & Platinum” package prior to June 3, 2010, will be automatically grandfathered into “HD Free for Life” without being required to enter into a 24-month “HD Free for Life” commitment OR pay the $99 HD Programming Upgrade Fee. These customers will experience no price change due to their participation in this offer; they will receive “HD Free for Life” for the life of their account and will be charged for the $10/mo. HDPlatinum add-on package.

So wait...if I am grandfathered into HD "Free for Life" and drop platinum...do I get regular HD for free, for life?

I'm going to guess the answer is no...but then what's free about it?

The way I read this was that if you already have HD & plat pack for 10.00 today, you will be grandfathered and will NOT have to pay $99.00 or sub for two year commitment to get Hd free for life. So once you got the free hd for life , the plat pack is yours to keep or drop , since it will once again be a stand alone pack.

The way I read this was that if you already have HD & plat pack for 10.00 today, you will be grandfathered and will NOT have to pay $99.00 or sub for two year commitment to get Hd free for life. So once you got the free hd for life , the plat pack is yours to keep or drop , since it will once again be a stand alone pack.

This is how I understand it as well - but if you do drop the platinum pack you will pay the $5 downgrade fee.

I only added the Platinum when they made HD & Platinum the same price as HD.
Nothing on Platinum makes it work $10/mo to me, so come June I'll drop it again.

Good - I hope that is the case, dropping platinum to save $10 will help offset some of the price increases they've thrown lately.

I only added the Platinum when they made HD & Platinum the same price as HD.
Nothing on Platinum makes it work $10/mo to me, so come June I'll drop it again.

From reading above:
- HD is now free (and I'm grandfathered -- 24 month commitment)
- My $10 HD subscription is now switched to a $10 platinum which I can drop if I pay the $5 drop fee -- brilliant since I've only been a subscriber for 1 month.

Is there a list of what channels are in Platinum? I tried searching on the Dish site but found nothing.

I guess the cost of America's 250 went up by $2 a month, I expect I pay this regardless of whether I change the above.

Last edited:
repoint time

I don't even know what I'm getting in "Platinum."

I get HD and Platinum for $10 (total), though.

And with my 61.5 & 110/119, I don't seem to get any of the new HD channels, the earlier batch this year or this new batch.

You need to get a repoint to either EA or WA. Having a split arc set up is your problem.

This is my sticking point for me.. there are still too many unanswered questions:

I have HD + Platinum for $10 and I own all of my equipment and have never been under a contract. If I drop the HD + Platinum, I assume I'll get dropped back to the legacy AT200. Then in order to get HD back I'll have to either by HD monthly (without platinum for $10) a month or sign a 2yr contract to get the HD for free or pay $99 which would give me a break even of 10 months.

Ultimately I'd like to just drop platinum to get the standard HD pack for free but there are two reasons I won't do a contract:

1) Tivo status: If my DVR (2x 722K) gets shut off, I'm gone like the wind and I don't want a contract holding be back.
2) My current cable provider sucks (Windstream) but the franchise agreement with my city finally expired and Comcaast is coming in around Q3-2010.

Unless I can get the HD pack free while dropping Platinum without a contract, I'll make no changes.

Ok, I'll make my vote now: After the retaler chat it appears HD + Platinum customers like myself will be automaticaly added to the HD for Life promo with no additional commitment required and the HD Platinum will go into it's own line item. Since that is the case and I won't have to do a new contract, I will be dropping HD platinum. I thought about it but I can't remember any instance over the last two months in which I actaully watched one of those channels anyway. Nice to have, but difficult to justify. The only reason I added platinum pack previously was because it was the HD+Platinum in which I got the extra channels for no additional cost over what I already paid for HD.

I think it is rather misleading of Dish (yeah, they've never done that before) to promote a price reduction (at least in the way they presented the slides and marketing material) when in reality it does net me a $2 increase assuming I don't change anything (AT200 + HD/Platinum). So I'm dropping Platinum and pocketing the $10... oh sorry... $8 savings

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts