So Completely Frustrated

bobsie

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 16, 2006
Alpena, MI
I received a billing on May 26. I am on autopay and my due date was June 15. When I received the bill, I went into my Dish account on May 28 to update the bank/credit card the autobill would be charged to. I did this because, during the same week as the billing, I changed from one bank to a new credit union. When I updated the bank account information, Dish charged the new account immediately instead of waiting until the autopay date of June 15. This caused an overdraft in my account which had to be paid out of my savings, thereby reducing my savings. I sent email to Dish and asked why this was done. I was totally surprised by the unannounced (and unconfirmed by me) charge to my new account 3 weeks before it was due. The responses I received made no sense whatsoever:

1. In the first email response, I was thanked for my inquiry as to how to update my autopay information. Of course, that was not the question I had asked and I already had updated the information.

2. After replying to the first response, I got Dish's second response: Please be advised that our system generates your bill every 26th of the month and automatically deducts your payment every 15th or 16th of the month. The payment was immediately charged from your updated AutoPay due to your account is already due and to avoid to be charged for the late fee. Changes cannot be made due to we have no control over the bill generation every month. That was pure fiction since my bill was not due for another 3 weeks and no late fee was even possible.

3. I again requested they revisit my inquiry and try again. Their third response: Please be advised that charges were already taken out from your account because DISH bill’s one month in advance. Please be advised that this is a valid charge. This again was a completely inaccurate and made up excuse. I was furious. I wrote back and told them that if they did not give me a good explanation of the charge being done 3 weeks early, then I was considering never being billed by them again as I would start to be billed by DirectTV.

It has now been 3 days since my last reply to them with no response at all. This at the time I was considering upgrading my system to a Hopper/3 Joeys. I am completely frustrated over this entire situation. I am due an explanation if nothing more than an apology for the error they do not seem to want to admit happened. Instead they treat me as if I am completely ignorant and have no concept of their billing cycles. I run my own business and am fully aware of how billing works from a company. I have been in the computer business for 40+ years. I am not some ignorant slob who is whining. I just want to know why they charged me 3 weeks early. Can anyone explain this? DIRT?

Hi bobsie, I am sorry that you had this issue with updating the Credit card auto-pay on your account and that your inquiry to DISH did not offer an explanation as to why this occurred. When you update credit card information in our system, if there is a balance due on the account, the system will collect the balance due at that time. I do understand about the inconvenience and the fee this has caused you. Please PM me with your account information and I will see what can be done to assist you further. Thank you!

True story, when updating CCA the system they use requires a zero balance on the account. Therefore if a bill has generated (remember the billing is in advance), even if not yet the due date, the system will collect to bring to zero balance. This is likely to ensure there will be no complications with a missed payment. I understand your frustration with simply looking for an accurate and honest answer from DISH customer support, this is why I no longer deal with them and only deal with my DIRT Friends. Shout out to Mary :), good looking out I see she is on this for you.

Dish should have this explained at the time you make the change online. (if they don't) Like the surcharges an explanation before the charge goes a long way...

Dish should have this explained at the time you make the change online. (if they don't) Like the surcharges an explanation before the charge goes a long way...

I cannot be 100% certain, but I believe when you attempt to update or change cards online it tells you it will take a payment at that time. Regardless, I agree that the information should be presented more clearly. As you stated Tampa, explanation before charge goes a long way.

I cannot be 100% certain, but I believe when you attempt to update or change cards online it tells you it will take a payment at that time. Regardless, I agree that the information should be presented more clearly. As you stated Tampa, explanation before charge goes a long way.

Correct the system will not let you proceed until the balance is zero and it clearly states you are making a payment at that time.

I'm not trying to split hairs..... :) When it says that, would you say it's clear even if you don't owe anything right now, another words the due date has yet to come, it will pay whatever the balance is? Just wondering if someone might think I don't owe now so it won't take a payment.....

When I have changed payment information in the past, the system has always warned me that doing so will initiate a payment for the account's then current balance.

It has been a while since I've done this, so I can't be sure this is still the case. Hopefully DIRT can compensate you for the inconvenience (assuming you weren't warned) and the frustration from bad CSR responses.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

The system does prompt this message when you go to update the autopay information online.

The current balance on your account is $ XX.XX. To allow a smooth transition, you will have to zero out this balance. Upon submit, your current balance will be charged to the form of payment you select below.

When I have changed payment information in the past, the system has always warned me that doing so will initiate a payment for the account's then current balance.

It has been a while since I've done this, so I can't be sure this is still the case. Hopefully DIRT can compensate you for the inconvenience (assuming you weren't warned) and the frustration from bad CSR responses.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Yes I remember that warning when I needed to update my card information,I backed out at that time and waiting the day before my payment was due to update my card information.

When I made a change to autopay, the csr told me that any balance due would be charged when change was made. It does not matter when the due date is and therefore recommended making the change after a payment was made but before the next bill was generated. She also told me that changing it in this manner may cause the system to miss the next payment and to manually make it if payment was not made when it should be, then the system will work as it should.

I too have waited till a payment was made before updating the expiration date... If I remember correctly, when you update & there is no balance, they still put a $1.00 charge to verify the information, but is credited back once they receive verification...

I too have waited till a payment was made before updating the expiration date... If I remember correctly, when you update & there is no balance, they still put a $1.00 charge to verify the information, but is credited back once they receive verification...
That's called a hold, no money is actually charged.

Yes it does indeed give a prompt that says in order to update to new billing method that the balance has to be cleared ie be $0.I guess it could be overlooked if your in a hurry but I saw it right away.

Fair warning or not, it is plain STUPID! In any reality it is not necessary. Just another reason I will likely be making changes in my TV service once my contract is up.

I received a billing on May 26. I am on autopay and my due date was June 15. When I received the bill, I went into my Dish account on May 28 to update the bank/credit card the autobill would be charged to. I did this because, during the same week as the billing, I changed from one bank to a new credit union. When I updated the bank account information, Dish charged the new account immediately instead of waiting until the autopay date of June 15. This caused an overdraft in my account which had to be paid out of my savings, thereby reducing my savings. I sent email to Dish and asked why this was done. I was totally surprised by the unannounced (and unconfirmed by me) charge to my new account 3 weeks before it was due. The responses I received made no sense whatsoever:

1. In the first email response, I was thanked for my inquiry as to how to update my autopay information. Of course, that was not the question I had asked and I already had updated the information.

2. After replying to the first response, I got Dish's second response: Please be advised that our system generates your bill every 26th of the month and automatically deducts your payment every 15th or 16th of the month. The payment was immediately charged from your updated AutoPay due to your account is already due and to avoid to be charged for the late fee. Changes cannot be made due to we have no control over the bill generation every month. That was pure fiction since my bill was not due for another 3 weeks and no late fee was even possible.

3. I again requested they revisit my inquiry and try again. Their third response: Please be advised that charges were already taken out from your account because DISH bill’s one month in advance. Please be advised that this is a valid charge. This again was a completely inaccurate and made up excuse. I was furious. I wrote back and told them that if they did not give me a good explanation of the charge being done 3 weeks early, then I was considering never being billed by them again as I would start to be billed by DirectTV.

It has now been 3 days since my last reply to them with no response at all. This at the time I was considering upgrading my system to a Hopper/3 Joeys. I am completely frustrated over this entire situation. I am due an explanation if nothing more than an apology for the error they do not seem to want to admit happened. Instead they treat me as if I am completely ignorant and have no concept of their billing cycles. I run my own business and am fully aware of how billing works from a company. I have been in the computer business for 40+ years. I am not some ignorant slob who is whining. I just want to know why they charged me 3 weeks early. Can anyone explain this? DIRT?

So, let me get this straight ..... the bill was due and paid on the 15th .... a new bill generate in less than 2 weeks.... and they pull that.... RIDICULOUS.... period .... I recommend you read my post under Dish defies court orders ..... You may find several interesting FACTS ...... My immediate recommendation ... STOP AUTO-PAY .... and after my experience.... have the bank close the account and open a new one!!!! AVOID MY NIGHTMARE!!!!

I don't like the policy personally but,at least nothing is hidden its plainly written when you attempt to make the change.It's easy to make an error or mistake so to the op I hope dirt can help you out.If they can't at least you and everyone else in this thread will know to pay very close attention in the future.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)