So Completely Frustrated

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
I don't like the policy personally but,at least nothing is hidden its plainly written when you attempt to make the change. It's easy to make an error or mistake so to the op I hope dirt can help you out.If they can't at least you and everyone else in this thread will know to pay very close attention in the future.
Bingo.

Well since it's already overdrafted and taken from savings anyway so I'm not sure what Dish can do to "fix" this problem other than perhaps reimburse the bill amount... Not like they can reimburse the overdraft fee just because someone didn't read correctly...

Well since it's already overdrafted and taken from savings anyway so I'm not sure what Dish can do to "fix" this problem other than perhaps reimburse the bill amount... Not like they can reimburse the overdraft fee just because someone didn't read correctly...
I don't think he said there was an overdraft fee, just that his savings was used to pay for the overdraft (as a backup account). This way no overdraft fees are charged. I have a similar setup where my money market account backs up my checking.

Dish seems to have a number of customer service systems that are oddly coded to provide the opposite of customer service. I had a similar issue when my CC expired. I couldn't just update it with the new date, I had to go through the whole thing and thus pay my bill early. If I recall I complained about it at the time and may have received a PPV, or small credit.

I think that is their way of making sure the new card is good. They could deduct $1 to accomplish close to the same thing.

Hell, they could put a hold on the new card for the entire amount of the bill, but just not actually transfer the money until the due date.

I don't think he said there was an overdraft fee, just that his savings was used to pay for the overdraft (as a backup account). This way no overdraft fees are charged. I have a similar setup where my money market account backs up my checking.

Yeah my account is the same way however some (evil) banks still charge a fee, albeit smaller than your typical overdraft fee...

I think that is their way of making sure the new card is good. They could deduct $1 to accomplish close to the same thing.

From what I've gathered if there is a balance on the account (even if it's at/past the due date,) then the remainder of the balance is paid at the time of the update (along with a warning that states so before completion.) Otherwise, with a zero balance, the $1 hold is placed temporarily to verify authorization. The solution for this is for the customer to change their information closer to the due date. It's a silly policy by Dish, though (IMO.)

Hell, they could put a hold on the new card for the entire amount of the bill, but just not actually transfer the money until the due date.
The only problem with that is that some (evil) banks still charge overdraft fees even for holds.

Last edited:

I believe it is due to the fact that the Autopay system actually takes a few days (or longer, hard to say really) to setup so by default the system requires a zero balance when any change (or initial setup) takes place. That way there can be absolutely no case of missed payment leading to potential late fee, service interruption, etc. Makes sense, not always convenient, but makes sense.

I believe it is due to the fact that the Autopay system actually takes a few days (or longer, hard to say really) to setup so by default the system requires a zero balance when any change (or initial setup) takes place. That way there can be absolutely no case of missed payment leading to potential late fee, service interruption, etc. Makes sense, not always convenient, but makes sense.
That makes the most logical sense. As an IT professional I know that not every system can be integrated real-time (especially if a particular system is from a 3rd party vendor)

Yes it is just stupid to not read your bills. I use autopay AND read my bills. I also get email/text alerts anytime a charge is authorized on my cards, no matter the amount. I don't use debit cards or direct EFT from my bank accounts either (wherever possible, my car insurance and electric bills don't offer credit card payments, or they charge too much for it).

THat would probably cause checks to bounce, as well.
True...if anyone is living paycheck-to-paycheck then autopay probably isn't for them. Or use a credit card for autopay payments instead of a bank account.

Last edited:
Sorry to read that this happened to you. Hopefully DIRT can come up with a resolution.

For those who are jumping on the bash Dish bandwagon, do you really think Dish is the only business that this happens? Personally I have had this happen with utility companies, credit card companies, insurance companies, mortgage companies.... I can say as fact that Dish is not flexible with payment due dates. So that is why I don't do autopay with any company that will not adjust my due date.

I have been in the same situation the OP just had, just with different companies. I hope your bank does not have the "overdraft fees".

This does bring up a question. This situation seems to have happened with changing the payment info online. Do the same rules/warning apply if a customer actually called a Dish Billing CSR? Are Dish Billing CSR's able to "override" such a requirement?

For those who are jumping on the bash Dish bandwagon, do you really think Dish is the only business that this happens?
No. But, does that make it OK? Of course it doesn't.

Plus, there's no "bash Dish bandwagon". This is a Dish forum. And, we are discussing an issue with Dish's method of changing auto-pay methods, which, quite frankly, needs improvement.

GaryPen said:
No. But, does that make it OK? Of course it doesn't.

Plus, there's no "bash Dish bandwagon". This is a Dish forum. And, we are discussing an issue with Dish's method of changing auto-pay methods, which, quite frankly, needs improvement.

It's a limitation in the system. It's not clear that it is easily fixed (could be third party billing software, could be because of a fear of missing an autopayment while the new info is set up for autopay). So I think Dish providing a warning before a sub changes the billing info is a good compromise. Would it be nice for the system to be changed? Sure. But it's not like Dish is hiding the ball on this one.

It's a limitation in the system. It's not clear that it is easily fixed (could be third party billing software, could be because of a fear of missing an autopayment while the new info is set up for autopay). So I think Dish providing a warning before a sub changes the billing info is a good compromise. Would it be nice for the system to be changed? Sure. But it's not like Dish is hiding the ball on this one.
If it's indeed a limitation of the system, which I doubt, as payment systems for other vendors do not do this, it's understandable.

However, it should be easy enough to make the warning clearer, so as not to continue this confusion among customers. That should be simple enough to do, regardless of whether or not they can change the way it deducts the charges.

GaryPen said:
If it's indeed a limitation of the system, which I doubt, as payment systems for other vendors do not do this, it's understandable.

However, it should be easy enough to make the warning clearer, so as not to continue this confusion among customers. That should be simple enough to do, regardless of whether or not they can change the way it deducts the charges.

This verbiage seems clear to me:

"The current balance on your account is $ XX.XX. To allow a smooth transition, you will have to zero out this balance. Upon submit, your current balance will be charged to the form of payment you select below." (taken from MaryB's post earlier in the thread)

How would you change it?

This verbiage seems clear to me:

"The current balance on your account is $ XX.XX. To allow a smooth transition, you will have to zero out this balance. Upon submit, your current balance will be charged to the form of payment you select below." (taken from MaryB's post earlier in the thread)

How would you change it?
-Make the font larger
-Change text to: "WARNING: Your updated method of payment will be charged IMMEDIATELY for the current balance on your account. If you prefer to have the payment made closer to your usual due date, please discontinue this process now, and return to complete it no later than 3 days before the due date. Thank you."

Or, something like that, which makes it clearer than it is now.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts