So Completely Frustrated

Seriously? Are you the type that likes to blame other people for your mistakes? I think that complaining about the "wording" of the disclaimer is just failing to admit that a mistake was made. Here, I'll spell it out for ya :-

The current balance on your account is $ XX.XX. To allow a smooth transition, you will have to zero out this balance. Upon submit, your current balance will be charged to the form of payment you select below.

Such a simple three-sentence statement. It plainly states your current balance in the first sentence. In the second sentence, it states that you will need to zero out the balance and even gives an explanation as to why (albeit a vague one.) Then in the third sentence, it clarifies the meaning of the second sentence. There is no question about what this "current balance" is as it is plainly stated in the first sentence. Well, what will be charged? The third sentence plainly states that whatever you select on that page, will be charged. When will it be charged? Covered in third sentence (upon submit.) Why will it be charged? To zero out the balance. Why does the balance need to be zeroed? To allow a smooth transition. Common sense would dictate that if you do not currently have sufficient funds to zero out your balance, then you would wait until you do have the funds needed to update the account (before the due date.)

Also, no offense, but if your balance is so low that a TV bill that is probably only $130 at max causes an overdraft, perhaps TV shouldn't be the top priority. Finances might need to be looked over. A lot of banks charge "low balance" fees for accounts that have less than $1500 in them, and if it's below $400, could be even more fees.

Last edited:
Also, no offense, but if your balance is so low that a TV bill that is probably only $130 at max causes an overdraft, perhaps TV shouldn't be the top priority. Finances might need to be looked over. A lot of banks charge "low balance" fees for accounts that have less than $1500 in them, and if it's below $400, could be even more fees.
It is REALLY none of your concern as to what a person wants to spend what money they have on, whether they have little or a lot.

It is REALLY none of your concern as to what a person wants to spend what money they have on, whether they have little or a lot.

You're right. I just don't understand people that complain about something that they didn't read all the way through, and I also don't understand why some people live paycheck-to-paycheck rather than managing their money more wisely. TV shouldn't be a top priority if you're broke. It's true though, other than these few statements I make on the matter, I really couldn't care less what people do with their money (or lack thereof.) If OP didn't want people expressing their opinions on the matter, then perhaps OP shouldn't have made this thread. No need to get all uppity about it.

You're right. I just don't understand people that complain about something that they didn't read all the way through, and I also don't understand why some people live paycheck-to-paycheck rather than managing their money more wisely.there you go again TV shouldn't be a top priority if you're broke.That is your opinion however to some people TV is very important including me. It's true though, other than these few statements I make on the matter, I really couldn't care less what people do with their money (or lack thereof.)

I would have to agree with this statement. I would also like to say that I do not care to hear these people complain about prices and how TV is getting too expensive.

I have an employee who always says he needs as much overtime as he can get because he needs every penny. He also has Dish with about 6 TVs and has an awesome Ford Pick Up that he stuck a bunch of money into but never drives. It drives me crazy when he says he depends on the overtime to make ends meet.

I would have to agree with this statement. I would also like to say that I do not care to hear these people complain about prices and how TV is getting too expensive.

I have an employee who always says he needs as much overtime as he can get because he needs every penny. He also has Dish with about 6 TVs and has an awesome Ford Pick Up that he stuck a bunch of money into but never drives. It drives me crazy when he says he depends on the overtime to make ends meet.

You know what drives me crazy? Listening to rich people complain about how poor people spend their money and want to work harder and make more money. It's like listening to someone complain about those annoying starving people in Somolia while eating a 10 course meal. Just comes off as insensitive and crass. But I hear it all the time- not just here, a lot of places.

I wonder when and how we turned into a country where being poor is considered to be a negative reflection of your personal character, and where better off people think it's okay to complain about how the poor manage their time and money. If folks are financially strapped, they're often stuck leading a fairly dreary existence, and it makes perfect sense that they are going to want to spring for a few small luxuries like a tv subscription and stuff. A big sports fan may not be able to afford season tickets to watch his team in person, but he might be able to sacrifice to buy a tv and a tv relatively basic subscription to see the game broadcasts. Gotta do something- otherwise life is just drudgery.

I am no where close to being a rich man. I am barely middles class. I just happen to have more opportunities because of my business. There are many luxuries I do not enjoy because I can not afford them and I'm ok with that. I manage my money to live the way I know I can live comfortably.

I don't want to turn this thread in to a huge debate about money because I understand the are a lote of people who have been dealt a bad hand and can't help it. My oppinion is based on the large portion of people I know that are considered poor because they are terrible at managing their money and their life in general. I'm sure you know people like this yourself. I apologize if I offend anyone that has any hardships they have been dealt. I just hope no one self inflicted these hardships on themselves.

You seem to have missed the fact that I stated the money was charged to the account I was closing. I had already started moving my money to the new bank account before I ever contacted Dish. The charge was a surprise and unexpected. The fact I had sufficient backup in savings is all that kept me from a NSF fee.

You also seem to have the opinion that Dish is my only expense. I have many expenses, all of which are setup to be paid as sufficient funding is available in my accounts. That is the entire purpose of Dish's Autopay system plus the fact it is required for the Free HD for Life. It is not up to you to determine my TV viewing habits or needs. That is my decision. This thread is not about that. It is about a charge that I received when I did not expect one and was not given the opportunity to confirm it before it was done like any other charge at any other business (including my own). It is also about the lack of intelligent explanation as to why it happened from Dish.

Last edited:
You're right. I just don't understand people that complain about something that they didn't read all the way through, and I also don't understand why some people live paycheck-to-paycheck rather than managing their money more wisely. TV shouldn't be a top priority if you're broke. It's true though, other than these few statements I make on the matter, I really couldn't care less what people do with their money (or lack thereof.) If OP didn't want people expressing their opinions on the matter, then perhaps OP shouldn't have made this thread. No need to get all uppity about it.

The only person saying I am broke is you and you are talking down to me because of your opinion. It is not I or anyone else that is uppity on this issue; it appears to be you.

As I have stated before, I never saw any notice that I was being billed at that time to bring the account to a zero balance. Since this is not a policy I have seen anywhere else in my many years of doing online business with a variety of vendors, I never expected it either. No other business has ever forced me to go to a zero balance just to update my payment method. Since I was on the Autopay plan, there is an expectation that my payment date would remain unchanged regardless and that is what I thought would happen.

If you couldn't care less, than you should not have even made the comment.

All bickering aside, did you end up getting anything resolved with Dish or is that just the way it is? Are they doing anything for you?

My apologies, I did not read that you were closing the account (somehow.) However my rant wasn't aimed specifically at you (well maybe some of it,) but just people in general. I know at least 4 people personally that refuse to save a dime, and I just don't get it why. These people are the same people that ask to borrow money all the time. They're not scraping by just for food and housing. They're spending their money on completely unnecessary luxuries then complaining that they're broke and/or the bank is charging them overdraft fees. I'm not making fun of poor people, hell I'm far from rich, but I am making fun of people that can't manage money wisely. Anyway, sorry for the off topic discussion.

I hate it that you somehow missed/didn't understand what Dish said while changing your account information, however in my personal opinion, it's pretty darn clear what they're saying. All I can say is, live and learn.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)