So far not a good upgrade.

budda

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 21, 2006
Oconomowoc
Installer is here now. He informed me that he can change the LNB. He can add the 2.0 joeys and the Hopper3. But he does not have a 4K joey. Now sometime next week they will install it. I am going to be really pissed if this has to be done during the day. I asked him to leave me another Joey just until the 4K comes in and he mumbled in broken English something, then said no. I asked if they could just ship it to me . He said no.The 4k joey was going in a place of one of my two HWS's that I had. This is a primary viewing area. Stuff happens but this sucks!!

Installer is here now. He informed me that he can change the LNB. He can add the 2.0 joeys and the Hopper3. But he does not have a 4K joey. Now sometime next week they will install it. I am going to be really pissed if this has to be done during the day. I asked him to leave me another Joey just until the 4K comes in and he mumbled in broken English something, then said no. I asked if they could just ship it to me . He said no.The 4k joey was going in a place of one of my two HWS's that I had. This is a primary viewing area. Stuff happens but this sucks!!

He should've just rescheduled until he had all the equipment you need.

Always confirm the equipment before the tech starts any work or you'll end up with a headache.

The techs can make mistakes with getting the right equipment on the truck. Happens a lot with newly launched equipment like when the first gen hopper launched.

I started out very mad. All other aspects of install went very well.At the end I sat down and talked with the installer. Communication is key. I am a service tech by trade in another field. I understand sometimes the tech really has no control weather the is stock available or not. What he do is try to make me feel at ease. Give me options. Show empathy. and just give what assurances he can. He called and I talked to his boss. Who is dropping off the 4k on Tuesday at 4 P.M. I plan on giving him the highest rating I can. In my option sometimes things just don't work out. Will post back either way after Tuesday. Thanks for this site it is a help to those like me with O.C.D.! :) Forgot to add. Hopper 3. Very fast , nice features and nice remote. As well as picture seems better. Picture thing could be in my head but that works for me.

Last edited:
Well a tech. I believe the head of his office. Stopped by tonight and installed my 4K Joey. Works great and has a very small foot print. Very happy. Down side did not have the 52.0 remote. Had the old/new.40.0 RF remote. He said he would send me the 52.0 remote we shall see. I still believe the picture is better but that's me. Also very fast. happy with that as well. Have not been able to get the 4 screen PIP just 2 screen kinda weird will keep working on it. Also figured out how to pair remotes as extras also a good thing to know. On the system info screen. press and hold the sat button that's it. Works on the joeys or the Hopper.

IIRC, the 4K Joey does not come with the 52.0 remote from the get go.

According to some of the info that's been posted, the 4K Joeys were finished and packaged some time back, actually, before the new remotes came along. Their release got held up due to new UI.

How much smaller is the new remote? We have a 2 year old that likes to collect remotes!!!! Had a few times where the remote was buried at the bottom of a toy box or stuffed way down in the sofa and couldn't hear it with the remote locate function.

How much smaller is the new remote? We have a 2 year old that likes to collect remotes!!!! Had a few times where the remote was buried at the bottom of a toy box or stuffed way down in the sofa and couldn't hear it with the remote locate function.

Almost half the size overall. It's not as long and it's thinner.

and its easy to use i had to show my stepdad how to use he just needs to change channels he doesnt understand on how the new interface works yet

From my cold dead hands they'll pry the 40.0, LOL I know it by feel and don't have to use menus for a lot of things there is a button on the 40.0 for

I have that remote memorized as well but have to admit the new remote feels pretty good.

From my cold dead hands they'll pry the 40.0, LOL I know it by feel and don't have to use menus for a lot of things there is a button on the 40.0 for
I use a universal remote so never developed any muscle memory for the 40 remote or the others like it. I could never find the button I wanted without turning up the lights and putting on my glasses when I did use the 40.

I find the 52 remote easier to navigate than the 40 IF you don't know the layout of either remote.

But, I do find the BACK button in an awkward position though. I also miss page up/down but found Channel up/down function as page buttons in most menus. Skip and fast wind functions on the same button (hold for fast) is a bit awkward.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)