So Hawaii gets screwed again

Sounded like a contractual issue. Or if there is a possibility the new ones may not stay there long for whatever the reasons, maybe running out of BW? Then making them available will only cause more problem later.

Though I think we can all agree, when there is no competition, we as consumers get the short end of the stick. Why E* can charge $15 for one international channel.

The solution for HD in Hawaii comes from a new bird at 129W. Until Ceil 2 is in place (projected launch November 2008), nothing is going to change as far as DISH Network is concerned.

The solution for HD in Hawaii comes from a new bird at 129W. Until Ceil 2 is in place (projected launch November 2008), nothing is going to change as far as DISH Network is concerned.

Nobody is sure about that either, Ciel 2 is a Canadian bird operating at a Canadian slot. There is no requirement that the satellite service AK/HI/PR. If one goes to the Ciel website it simply says Canadian-Continental US for coverage.
Ciel Satellite Group

I know some of you are kidding around about living in Hawaii and DishHD...could be worse and so on. But in all seriousness, The fact that we don't need to fly 5+ hours to go to a nice beach is irrelevant. Hawaii and Alaska are states just like California or New York, and Dish is regulated by the FCC whose job is to ensure equal access to the service in all 50 states.
As to the comment that Dish is expending extra resources to AK/HI to provide this service, it cost Dish extra resources to provide local channels to places like Montana and Maine, but Dish has to as part of it's cost of doing business.

Again, that all that people in AK/HI/PR are asking for, equal access to the service.

I thought I saw a drawing on the other site of the coverage of ceil 2 that showed a strong lobe going to AK and one to HI also, although I can't find it at the present time. Does anyone have any info if this true and will we in AK and HI be able to receive everything national that is on 129 at the present time? This would bring us up to the same status as the rest of the U.S. Winters are long here in the 49th State.

geeze, ya'll deiced to live on a couple small islands in the middle of the ocean. some sacrifices will come with that. and for this line "and Dish is regulated by the FCC whose job is to ensure equal access to the service in all 50 states", i guess you never heard of the shvia act of 1999. actually stops equal access of satellite channels to all users. oh, created byt the fcc as well.

Last edited:
Well for all of you who want my mortgage, as long as you can afford about $3,200 a month come on over.

Yes I wear shorts to work everyday and I don't have a heating bill, but like everywhere else you still have to make a living. Gas at $4.69 milk at about 5.00 a gallon, electric rates at about .30 kw/hr believe me this is not the "paradise" everyone thinks it is.

The point is unless all of us in Alaska and Hawaii complain very loudly, Dish will never do anything for us. I talked several times to Dish about Scifi and USA. Like I said earlier, if I upgraded to a different plan I believe I could get the channels. I think the price went from 10.00 to 30.00.

I've waited to long hoping they will come through. Now it seems DirecTv is the one to go with as soon as they get the one dish solution. I've seen them and they are very large.

I guess I can wait another month or so for DirecTv.