So, how many folks are jumping on the $699 deal?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Bear

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Sep 29, 2004
Since my ideal world isn't going to happen, I decided I could not pass up the $699 deal waiting for "the perfect storm" to occur. Even though this looks really dodgy, I'm curious as to how many others did, too. Also, has anyone a) gotten theirs, or b) had trouble getting it activated?

Later,
Bill

I just jumped on the $899 deal though VE. I looked at those auctions and I don't like anyplace that asks you to spend $699 and has a NO RETURN policy.

Besides D* is also giving me a $200 credit upon activation so that makes it $699. Along with the other credits I have received from them that will provide me TC Platinum for the next 3 months at no charge ... kinda hard to whine about that.

How'd you swing the $200 credit? Are you a new subscriber, or an old-hand?

Later,
Bill

PS: The "no return policy" was for opened boxes. Yes, it's pretty irritating, but I need to give up TV or get back to having a functional DVR...

I have been a D* customer 7 of the last 8 years. Funny thing is I received the same credit when I purchased my HTL-HD!!! Heck if the PQ would get better I'd feel like a thief!

Neutron said:
slacker, that's TC Premier, not TC Platinum. Goofball.... :D

Yeah it is! It used to be platinum, it could be TC poo ... since it is free though December I don't care lol!

Theoretically the $699 is for new subs only, so however the Arizona guys are gaming D*'s system might not have worked for you. We'll see Friday or Monday (when mine is allegedly scheduled to arrive) how legit this was.

Later,
Bill

Slacker - since you are an old subscriber, the deal was apparently "not for you". The guys running the $699 deal (the ones in AZ) are explicit for it being for new subscribers only and self-installs only. The last bit is against D* policy, apparently, and they have to be skirting some serious commission-losing issues on this one to get the price $200 lower than anywhere else.

Later,
Bill

I got my toshiba DST3100 from these guys about a month ago. Only paid $199 self install. Everything has gone great including dealing with them.

What is the $699 deal. I am currently a Dish customer thinking of going to Direct. I have been waiting on a deal for the HD TIVO.

Ah, okay. I get it now. Today has been a little to "quick" for me. If I were a new sub and was going that route, I may have done it too.

Nolzman ... look up top :)

Nolzman said:
What is the $699 deal. I am currently a Dish customer thinking of going to Direct. I have been waiting on a deal for the HD TIVO.

A dealer in AZ has an ad on eBay for HD Tivo plus a Triple LNB dish for $699.99 plus $24.99 in shipping (drop shipped from Hughes' warehouse in Nashville, IIRC). This is for new subscribers only, and I think they are basically using some of the money that they would get from the "official" deal to subsidize the price on these units (at least, that's the only thing that makes sense to me).

The classifieds forum has the link to the eBay auction.

Later,
Bill

No TiVo today. Maybe Monday. If not then, I will probably cancel.

Rumor has it that the on-line guys are going to begin to be frozen out of the HD Tivos for a big marketing push through the big box guys.

Later,
Bill

I bought from the Arizona dealer earlier this year and everything went fine. Warranty work has to go through the manufacturer though.

It was several months ago, but when I got my HR10-250 in April, I also got $200 programming credit from DirecTV on top of $100 discount from VE. I also was not a new customer (at the time I've been with DirecTV for two years). The key, for me at least, was to find the right CSR/retention person to convince.

Hong.

The box is here (sealed as ordered), and the dish is the Channel Master version (cool!). Now to sell it to the Wife...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts