So how many watts does Dish hardware use?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

rad

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Lifetime Supporter
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Dripping Springs, TX
I started thread http://www.satelliteguys.us/xen/threads/how-much-power-does-your-dbs-hardware-use.339393/ in the War Zone which linked to a blog in Solid Signal listing how many watts various DIRECTV hardware used as measured by a Kill-A-Watt meter. I was hoping that some Dish folks might take the time to do the same for their hardware but nobody responded. So just in case nobody saw the post I though I'd try it over here. I see a number of post where Dish folks have had to go out and get extra cooling hardware for their DVR's, is that because they use more power, bad heat dissipation design or installation issues. So anyone here ready to see how Dish measures up?

I started thread http://www.satelliteguys.us/xen/threads/how-much-power-does-your-dbs-hardware-use.339393/ in the War Zone which linked to a blog in Solid Signal listing how many watts various DIRECTV hardware used as measured by a Kill-A-Watt meter. I was hoping that some Dish folks might take the time to do the same for their hardware but nobody responded. So just in case nobody saw the post I though I'd try it over here. I see a number of post where Dish folks have had to go out and get extra cooling hardware for their DVR's, is that because they use more power, bad heat dissipation design or installation issues. So anyone here ready to see how Dish measures up?
Does it matter? If you are going to use the receivers to watch TV you are going to use electricity at the minimum on your TV and the receiver.

Does it matter? If you are going to use the receivers to watch TV you are going to use electricity at the minimum on your TV and the receiver.
IMHO yes it does. Let's say that a typical DIRECTV setup uses 100 watts per hour total (just using a number, don't know what it is), but a Dish setup uses 200 watts per hour (again, since no numbers out there just making something up). Multiply that 24 hours x 365 days that's extra dollars. Let's say you pay $0.10/kilowatt that's an extra $87.60 per year or $7.30 per month more. Folks b*tch when their DBS bill goes up $3 per month so yea I think it does matter.

I believe numbers had been quoted before that the ViP boxes (like the 722) use about 50-60W and I think the Hopper is similar. I'll see if I can find those posts. Those numbers are pretty steady whether the unit is on standby or not, so yes it can matter.

Hoping that there would me some measured reading from the newer hardware. I would hope a newer technology box like the Hopper/Sling would take less then the older 722.

That is kind of my question. Sure, I would be interested in knowing for curiosity sake, but it would in no way impact my decision on getting either service. I would wager the difference is pennies a year on the few dollars a year it costs to run either of them.

Found another post that said that the Hopper uses 45W. That was not a direct measurement, just a rehash of something someone read elsewhere online. So take that for what it's worth.

Crunching the numbers, 50W x 24 hours = 1.2kWh/day which would be about $3/mo in electricity, depending on rates.

When comparing keep in mind that the D* system will have the SWM power inserter in the mix, where an average Dish system will not have an inserter.

With Hopper vs Genie, Genie will look like a clear winner.

With Hopper + Genie w/Inserter, its pretty darn close if the reported numbers are accurate.

I'm sure some will come up with arguments where one is better than the other on a per tuner or per DVR basis when the moon is full on Tuesdays. My guess is D* would come out ahead by a little, but will save that for the war zone and folks that really care.

Remember the PI number I posted at SS was for a PI29 on a SWiM16, the majority of DIRECTV customers will have a SWiMLNB with a PI21, wish I had those numbers to be able to report.

Multiply that 24 hours x 365 days that's extra dollars. Let's say you pay $0.10/kilowatt that's an extra $87.60 per year or $7.30 per month more. Folks b*tch when their DBS bill goes up $3 per month so yea I think it does matter.
Perfectly valid point, but how many people will ever factor that into their considerations of which provider to use ?

Broadband reports had a news item about STB power draws and more then a few chimed in that it was a factor. As I mentioned in the OP I was just wondering what Dish used in their STB's since there has been more then one post/thread about how to cool down Dish STB's due to overheating. Is the high heat output due to poor cooling design or using more power the other STB's?

Is the high heat output due to poor cooling design or using more power the other STB's?

Maybe because of the horsepower required for all the features that make it a way cooler box than DirecTV's. :biggrin2

Reactions: KAB
The question has the same answer. If it's power needs are about the same as other receivers it is a design issue.(If indeed there even is a problem) If the power needs are more, it still is a design issue as the extra heat was not taken into consideration for the design used. (Again if there is a problem)

Broadband reports had a news item about STB power draws and more then a few chimed in that it was a factor. As I mentioned in the OP I was just wondering what Dish used in their STB's since there has been more then one post/thread about how to cool down Dish STB's due to overheating. Is the high heat output due to poor cooling design or using more power the other STB's?
Don't read too much into folks adding extra cooling. A lot of it is "belt and suspenders" caution and for the most part is unnecessary. The units may get warmer than folks think they should (but are probably OK), or they may be in sub-optimal cabinet placements with little or no ventilation for the folks that really need it.

My Dish DVRs for the past 10 years or so have been in a closed cabinet without issue. I have about an inch clearance above and to the sides, but no fans or other ventilation other than the slot in the back of the cabinet to pass wires through.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts