So how many watts does Dish hardware use?

I started thread http://www.satelliteguys.us/xen/threads/how-much-power-does-your-dbs-hardware-use.339393/ in the War Zone which linked to a blog in Solid Signal listing how many watts various DIRECTV hardware used as measured by a Kill-A-Watt meter. I was hoping that some Dish folks might take the time to do the same for their hardware but nobody responded. So just in case nobody saw the post I though I'd try it over here. I see a number of post where Dish folks have had to go out and get extra cooling hardware for their DVR's, is that because they use more power, bad heat dissipation design or installation issues. So anyone here ready to see how Dish measures up?
I measured my Hopper a while back. About 40 watts including the dish. Without the dish and DPP33 switch the receiver alone is about 20 watts.

I measured my Hopper a while back. About 40 watts including the dish. Without the dish and DPP33 switch the receiver alone is about 20 watts.
Thanks. Would have been nice to get a Joey and Super Joey readings but guess I'll have to take what's provided.

So based on the info provided it looks like DIRECTV is doing a better job on energy efficiency. A HR44(16.4), PI21 for a SWiM3LNB(9.8), two C41 clients (9.8) is 36 watts vs. 40 for just the Hopper.

KAB posted a link to this in message #11 of this thread, maybe you didn't see it. Yeah, I'd go with Direct.

Just thought i'd post a report some averages on what i pulled from my kill-a-watt after a few days.

Hopper: 38.1 Watts OR .9132 kWh per day (~28.31 kWh per month)
Joey: 8.3 Watts OR .1997 kWh per day (~6.19 kWh per month)

haven't tried the HIC yet, but i'm assuming it will be pretty low.

feel free to post your results. Just to see how close we all match up.

My 211 receivers draw about 19 watts each. (Actually 19 volt-amps. I don't have a true watt-meter.)
My 311 draws 8 watts.
A SW64 switch on my roof draws 25 watts.

I put a digital timer on my two 211s and the SW64 to shut them off between 11 pm and 8 am. Saves about $5/month. But you have to make sure the receivers are powered up during the daily updates. Also, the potential exists for turning your receiver into a doorstop if it's powered down during a software update or other critical procedure. YMMV

Could someone post the energy costs for all the carrier's receivers? Then I can make my choice on which one to get my service from based on who uses the least. Thanks. Damn I hope Comcrap isn't the most efficient.

:coco

Reactions: ChadT41 and KAB

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)