So I believe I’ve solved my reception problem (A3/motor)

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
These are hints to solve common problems that we have run into over years of providing service calls on C-band systems. You don't need to start adding stuff to fix problems that don't exist .

Why would you be digging up and replacing cables? Did you trouble shoot and know that the problem is the cable?

Call technical support.... PLEASE! 530-652-4405!

These are hints to solve common problems that we have run into over years of providing service calls on C-band systems. You don't need to start adding stuff to fix problems that don't exist .

Call technical support.... PLEASE! 530-652-4405!

I can ring up in a short bit, I have to take care of a doggie situation at the moment.
Sigh...

Thanks.. :)

It better be at nearly $900!. If you were in my area I would beg you to come over and peak my dishes. Nice dish setup and having a good meter is worth it.

Yeah with tax and shipping it was over $900 actually.

I needed a proper meter that would do S2 AND commercial Dish Network Turbo 8psk. This was really the only choice.

"So I stuck the tube into each side of the busted pipe and pumped it full of that foam in hopes of keeping water out. I let it expand and dry for a day and there was this fonky looking mound of styrofoam there for a long time until I finally cut it level with the ground and piled dirt on top of it. With that stuff plugging the pipe where it’s broken, it’s impossible for me to pull any wires through the pipe ever again without digging it entirely up and replacing it completely. THAT is going to be a big problem, a BIG DEAL if I have to dig all that up."

So here's some bad news! When you trimmed the foam back you compromised it. The exposed cut off portion will now behave as a sponge to any moisture in the ground.

Lovely...

Oh well. That was over a year ago. I guess it’s not a problem until I need to pull a wire through it.
A few years ago I pulled out all the old RUBBISH black wires and replaced them with high quality wires. And it was a NIGHTMARE..
If I ever do dig up the pipe I’m replacing it with a 4” pipe. I have all the stuff to do it, I was just waiting for cool weather.
But if I move there’s no point in it because I’ll rip everything out of the ground completely and permanently.

I’ve run an ~alternate~ sensor wire, to test if there is a problem with “noise” on the motor wire being in extreme proximity to the sensor wire.
So far, on the G-box, using the alternate sensor wire there are no problems, it works great.

So I switched the wires over the the ASC-1 and it works ~better~ than it did before but still gives random errors which halt movement until I clear it with the OK button.
I’m still not yet trying to move the dish with the STB, I’m using only the ASC remote for now. Once I get the problems sorted out I’ll try the STB.

BTW, is there a problem with MeTV on SES 1 ?? I can’t find it, not even with my fancy meter. I do get all the other channels on there including Movies! but MeTV seems to be missing.. :coco

Ok, so using some backup wires helped a little but is still not reliable enough.

I must also say that when I operate the motor with the G-box there are absolutely no motor errors, it goes and goes and goes..
Apparently is is more tolerant of this mysterious motor noise thing.
Brian at Titanium explained it to me and it’s a rather complex problem but he put it in a way I could relate to,
like back in the 70’s when you would hear this horrible whine in your car radio. So this is something like that.
Now the next step is to try the capacitor fix.

I found a few old things like an old 8-track tape player that I’ll probably never use again that I opened and looked in for a part.
But all the parts are marked with numbers and letters I don’t understand. I found some other mysterious electronic castaways
of unknown origins and function.

So I googled for pictures of a .01 uf capacitor as called for in the help file.
One of them took me to an ebay auction which claims to be selling such a critter but in a quantity far above any normal person would ever need.

But the main thing is, it showed me what the markings should be as I go on an impossible scavenger hunt through old castaway electronics long forgotten.

Screen Shot 2014-09-05 at 3.01.10 AM.png

There are probably some old radios and computers in my son’s old room and who knows what in the garage or the storage shed.

So I’m looking for little discs marked 103. I’m not planning on buying thousands of these things on ebay so no worries.
I’ll just keep digging until I find one in something I’ve already got here.

Yep. I just found something that confirms the markings I’m looking for.. :D

Screen Shot 2014-09-05 at 4.41.45 AM.png

Also yesterday I removed the 3x4 I had on my BUD and ran a single wire from it into the 4x1 so it can select either the LNBF of the KU or the C-band dishes.
I’ve removed extra and unnecessary stuff. It’s my new BS Reduction and Simplification Policy.

What I do not understand is that somehow over the past few days, I’ve lost MeTV from 101.
I haven’t touched the LNBF or changed the dish in any way other than moving it east and west via the motor.
It has gotten MeTV for like 2 years flawlessly and now it’s suddenly gone.
I am picking up Movies! and all the religious channels on 101 but no MeTV at all. Even my meter doesn’t see it so it’s not anything to do with the STB.
Unless somehow the 4x1 switch is killing that one signal. I guess I will have to disconnect the switch and connect the meter in it’s place. I know the dish is peaked on 101 right now.

Nothing else I can do tonight with it so I’m going to see how the USALS motor is working now that I’ve taken a lot of junk out of the system
and it’s passing through the ASC-1 now.

Last edited:
Dee, a pinched or damaged coax cable can "notch out" certain frequencies so that you can't receive them anymore. I have seen this first hand. I have also seen this with a bad barrel connector.

First thing I'd personally do in a case such as this, is temp hook up a NEW piece of coax direct from the lnb to the receiver, (have the receiver out by your dish). See if it now gets MeTv back. Which receiver has this problem, or do all of them have it?

Will this work? I found it in an OLD VCR..

It has the 103 on it but the letters and the circle T are a boondoggle to me.

IMG_1918.jpg

By the way, does anyone else notice that Movies! (101w) seems to be running at like 16fps?

It’s like watching footage from security cameras in a drive in grocery store, it’s all jerky-jerky looking.

Their commercials seem ok though, I saw a commercial and there was something with smoke in it. The smoke was moving smoothly and fluidly.
But when they went back to the movie it was all jerky-jerky again.

This is on my A3.

How weird. It’s like watching stop motion.

GET SCREEN SHOT 0.863388161174953.jpeg

The signal and quality levels seem just fine. I checked to see if there are any apps running in the background and there are none reported.

I thought it might be the screen resolution, so I changed it from 1080p to 720p. No change. Still not a fluid display.
No other channel does this.

I’ve tried all the different screen settings like the letterbox option and whatnot..

GET SCREEN SHOT 0.2435638562310487.jpeg GET SCREEN SHOT 0.44502525799907744.jpeg GET SCREEN SHOT 0.8427410717122257.jpeg GET SCREEN SHOT 0.863388161174953.jpeg

It really makes watching anything on that channel quite unpleasant. I’m baffled.

Ok, I recorded several minutes then downloaded it to my Mac and played it back with VLC and it plays absolutely perfectly smooth on my Mac.
It only displays THAT channel, in real time at a slower than normal frame rate. I suspect they are playing monkeyshines with the video since it’s 16x9 SD which is weird.
I just don’t get why commercials (also at 16x9 SD) play smoothly but movies don’t.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)