So I got a bluray and projector but the picture size with wide screens.

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

ussexplroer

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 17, 2007
I not sure if you guys / gals can answer this. But My wife went out and got a nice mitsubishi 1080 projector 3800c. I think. 16:9. Okay so that is great. Got a panasonci BD60 blu-ray player with a 25ft hdmi cable. So far so good. But when I play a dvd or like the new blu-ray harry potter movie. There is bars on top and bottom. WTF. I thought this is what would take care of this. When I play a full screen movie. No bars. Now I read there is different movie format. But the disc says 16:9. I set the blu-ray player to 16:9 full aka take out the bar on top and bottom. But it is still there. I also updated the blu-ray formware and the projector is on auto but when I view. show 16xxX1080 and 16:9 auto.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Josh

Are you absolutely certain that the main feature is 16:9???

The only Blu-ray versions I've seen are 2.35:1 (half-blood) or 2.40:1 (all others).

You would see those black bars on a flat panel as well. Nearly half of all movies are are a wider than 16:9 format, cinemascope as was explained above. 16:9 is the format for HDTV and a compromise between the 4:3 of old tv and the 21:9 format of cinemascope movies.

With a good screen and masking, you can show a wide range of formats from your PJ.

There are 54 different aspect ratios for film over the past 70-80 years. Currently about 85% of movies are 1.85:1 (16:9=1.78). Most other movies today are 2.25:1 to 2.4:1. If you watched one of these movies on an older 4:3 set the bars would be nearly as large as the picture.:D

Yes I caught that

Yes I caught the different formats thoughout the era's. It says 16x9 2.4:1. If this is all together I can see yes. That would give lines. But I assumed 16x9 would fit since it was a 16x9 projector. I didn't see any settings asap. Unless it is under setup. I'll look into the issue more. maybe e-mail panasonic. Say hey 16x9 full should get rid of lines. Perhaps I need to change it off for this setting.

thanks so far for the help.

Josh

Formatted for 16:9 means it is encoded to fit within the limits of a 16:9 TV. That means black bars at the top and bottom. If it is formatted for 2:35 or 2:4 then there would be no bars at the top or bottom, but the picture would run off of the sides. Formatted for 4:3 would be cropped taking information all the way around to make it fit (mostly from the sides). Theaters are able to accomodate this. Standard home TVs cannot. Projectors can somewhat by masking the screen either at top/bottom or sides depending on what type screen you have. I have a 2:4 fixed screen which means 16:9 material must be masked at the sides.

S~

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)