So I just ordered the DirecTV HD DVR

Status
Please reply by conversation.

FromPartsUnknown

Original poster
Apr 27, 2006
I'm getting my HD TV delivered in a week and also ordered the HD DVR from DirectTV.

My questions are:

Will I still be able to use my old TiVo DVR in another room in the house? Do I own the TiVo DVR when I bought it in Nov. 2004 (or 05, I forget, I suck) cause I'm worried that I will have to defend my TiVo DVR with extreme force if needed :eek: ;)

Will I be able to record my programs to my DVD recorder? I know it wouldn't be in HD quality, but still, it'd be nice to give my brother the games he misses when he's at work.

Am I going to end up hating myself for just spending over a grand to upgrade (including the TV)?

Does the new dish I'm getting with it mean I will finally be able to receive my local channels (apparently the dish we currently have isn't able to due to direction or whatever)? I asked the DirecTV person and they said I could, but they also said that last time.

Whats the difference between OTA and FTA? OTA works with the new HD receiver and dish right?

What is the meaning of life?

I'd ask DirecTV but the person I was talking to seemed a little dense. :( So I ask for the kind people here to share their guidance.

Last edited:
1. yes

2. if you upgraded to either the h20/h21 or hr20/21, then you will be able to record mpeg4 hd.

3. guess, it depends on what you had before and what tv you bought? honestly, though, you shouldn't.

4. if its the slimline or older version AT-9, yes.

5. you have a while?

1. yes

2. if you upgraded to either the h20/h21 or hr20/21, then you will be able to record mpeg4 hd.

3. guess, it depends on what you had before and what tv you bought? honestly, though, you shouldn't.

4. if its the slimline or older version AT-9, yes.

5. you have a while?

I have the time between now and when someone finally tells me what the meaning of life is... :eek: :D

Does that mean I can't record mpeg-2 HD?

Last edited:
The Meaning of Life?

"It's nothing very special really"

"Try and be nice to people, avoid eating fat, read a good book every now and then, get some walking in, and try and live together in peace and harmony with people of all creeds and nations."

OR

"The world is a beautiful place. You must try and make everyone happy, and bring peace and content with you everywhere you go. And so I became a waiter... well, it's not much of a philosophy I know, but well... f*** you, I can live my own life in my own way if I want to – f*** off."

Works for me!:D

If by "TiVo DTV" you mean DirecTv TiVo then yes no problem. They won't want the old one back. If you had a HR-10 TiVo HD recorder and you were upgrading for free then they would say they want it. I had one and kept it without having to pay the $199 but I think that was because of a miscommunication and my complaining.

You should be very happy as there is no comparison between SD and HD. When I got my first HR-10 TiVo HD recorder I had not said a word to my family since I knew they would think I was crazy (I spent $1000 for just the HR-10). My daughter walked into the family room and said "Hey, how come your picture is so much better than mine?"

You can copy programs from either DVR to your DVD recorder in 480i using S-Video and/or RCA connections.

OTA = Off-the-air (direct reception of local stations). This is supported by the HR20 (using an external antenna) but not the HR21.

FTA = Free-to-air. These are satellite stations which are sent without encryption. You cannot receiver these with a Directv receiver, however.

I have the time between now and when someone finally tells me what the meaning of life is... :eek: :D

Does that mean I can't record mpeg-2 HD?

no. obviously there are still a few hd channels left broadcasting in mpeg2 and they are still recordable. however, they will eventually switch to mpeg4.

i got my h20 upgrade for free and kept the h10. asked if they wanted it back and they said no.

meaning of life: starts at birth (although there are many who would argue otherwise) and ends at death. in between, we are on a journey. sometimes, we stray and do bad things. hopefully, we learn, grow and atone for those mistakes. but most of the time we accomplish many, many....too numerous to mention....wonderful moments.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)