So I switched to AT&T Uverse TV..........

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Your complaining about 10 mbps, I'm in Verizon terr. and the top you can get in my area is 3.

btw, how fast do you need the pages loading anyways ?

Jimbo

Fast internet connection is more than viewing web pages.
Multiple download streams running at the same time.
I have a PS3, Xbox360 and 3 HDDVRS. Add my pc to the mix and watch your bandwidth dwindle.

Fast internet connection is more than viewing web pages.
Multiple download streams running at the same time.
I have a PS3, Xbox360 and 3 HDDVRS. Add my pc to the mix and watch your bandwidth dwindle.
My 3 meg is probably why I don't play with the DOD very often.

Jimbo

3 meg is fine enough. You not going to run several downloads but one dedicated download is fine.

Thanks, I'll give it a try :)

Q. Are you finding anything NEW episode wise or is everything from previous years on the normal programming they offer.
I really have not looked at it in quite awhile.

Jimbo

Thanks, I'll give it a try :)

Q. Are you finding anything NEW episode wise or is everything from previous years on the normal programming they offer.
I really have not looked at it in quite awhile.

Jimbo

I like it for star early premiers. They are in SD but I already watched Superbad. I also use it for kids stuff. I have a 6 and 2 year old so the nick/noggin stuff is cool.

I just installed U-verse this week and while I was skeptical of the HD quality compared to DirecTV, I have been pleasantly surprised by the quality and it looks no different (better or worse) on my 720p 42 Plasma. I did notice poor quality on SD on the plasma while watching fast action sports. SD on my 40 SD CRT looks very good.

I like the super fast channel changing as well as the channel surfing guide that gives you a live video PIP of the channel that you have highlighted (pretty cool).

I also like the VOD options for kids programming as well as a large number of SD movie and series titles from HBO, Cinemax, SHO, TMC, etc... and I've found the quality to be good and download time to be a non-factor.

I'm on a 10 MB plan that can have 2 HD streams.

My kids are complaining about not having DVR capability to pause their live shows since u-Verse only gives you one DVR currently but I think they will adjust and will appreciate the upgrade in VOD capabilities for all set top boxes (even non-DVR boxes).

I haven't found any deal breakers with the use of the DVR yet but I've got neighbors who said it was too flakey and didn't always record what they wanted. I could say the same about DirecTV with the grey screen problem.

The HD lineup on DTV is superior in terms of volume at this point but there becomes a point of diminishing returns similar to the NFL Sunday Ticket since I can only watch (enjoy) one channel at a time.

I didn't have to change my email address from sbcglobal.net and AT&T provided a wifi router that may be superior to my older wifi router and bumped my incoming speed from 6 MB to 10 MB and bumped up my upload speed as well.

Forgot to add that there is no cancellation fee with U-Verse so the risk is low.

Why did I switch???

Mostly to get a better deal on combined internet/TV.

What didn't I like???

Grey screen instead of recorded content. If the box needs to be reset so often then why don't they reset it via a signal from the mother ship when I'm not watching it???

Deciding that I didn't want to spend almost $400 on NFL Ticket plus SuperFan and still chapped that DTV charges extra for HD NFL (a total rip-off).

The loss of signal when it rains and there are thunder storms and possible tornados moving in my direction from the southwest (same direction the dish is pointed).

The ridiculous lag in changing channels (does it have the processor of a TRS-80???).

VOD only via ethernet cable or additional cost wifi extender since my plasma is on an exterior wall without any ethernet outlet near. I'm not going to run ethernet wire just to get VOD.

I've had DTV for about 10 years (PrimeStar and cable prior to that) but upgraded to HD (new contract) in Jan so I've probably got 15 months left on DTV contract. I assume I'll get hit for $300 cancellation but a portion of that will be credited back to me to refund the pre-payment on NFL Sunday Ticket and Superfan. Will I also have to send the DVR back to DTV that I paid for at Costco and what about my old DTV/Tivo (can I sell it on ebay or do I have to send it back too?).

Last edited:
I have had a bad experience with U-Verse. We recently switched from cable to DirecTV and U-Verse had a good deal going with the phone and 6 megs internet. After setting a time and date for install, the guy never showed up. They never bothered to call so we called them and they apologized and we accepted the apology and they set us up for a new time the following day for install and they didn't show up again so we canceled the installation.

They will be hooked up in our area 4th quarter. On the DVR side, they are promoting a whole house DVR for the 4th quarter. I'm interested. They've signed up 1/2 mill in six months and have to roll out city by city, that's impressive. They did had several issues early on, but I think most of those are resolved.:D

VOD only via ethernet cable or additional cost wifi extender since my plasma is on an exterior wall without any ethernet outlet near. I'm not going to run ethernet wire just to get VOD.

FYI, a pair of powerline-Ethernet adapters would work just fine for VOD (just like with D*).

And one more thing. You will be getting Fios in Allen within the next year, so you will have that option as well.

FYI, a pair of powerline-Ethernet adapters would work just fine for VOD (just like with D*).

And one more thing. You will be getting Fios in Allen within the next year, so you will have that option as well.

Thanks for the heads up on Verizon Fios. I've seen them in Plano but didn't know when they were heading to Allen. I've heard a mixed bag of early adopter feedback about FIOS but I've also heard that they have higher bandwidth because they are using fibre for the last mile to the actual house.

I was actually expecting a big box of equipment hanging in one of my closets but the only thing I have for U-Verse is a Wifi router and set top boxes so I'm surprised by the lack of equipment to run U-verse.

Anybody know if I need to return my Tivo DirecTV tuner or if that is outside the lease arrangement??? Is it worth anything?

Anybody know if I need to return my Tivo DirecTV tuner or if that is outside the lease arrangement??? Is it worth anything?

If it's a leased receiver, even if you've completed your commitment, the receiver will need to be sent back. When you cancel D* they should send you a recovery box, if you don't get one in a couple weeks follow up with them so they don't charge you for a non-returned receiver.

I just scheduled an install for DirecTV later this month as we are moving away from UVerse. We've had UVerse for a little over a month and the ability to only have 2 HD streams is the major drawback. The other is only one DVR. Yes, they're out and promoting a whole house DVR in the future, but even the nice girl who signed us up for UVerse said that they have been promising WHDVR for a while now and who knows when it will actually show up (kudos for honesty).

Going from Time Warner to AT&T, I was very impressed with the quality and we loved the massive amount of HD channels. But it just isn't working with the limitations.

Hopefully DirecTV can deliver what we want as I really don't want to go back to Time Warner and their spotty service and horrific DVRs.

Indiana U-verse Problems

Indiana Review of AT&T U-verse

Although there are no contracts for AT&T U-verse, the installation can be lengthy and ineffective, resulting in a lot of wasted time. Also, reliable internet service is just as important as television service for us and it didn't work.

If you have a simple set up, with just a couple TVs and don't need a wireless internet for your computers, it may still be worth trying. However, for potential Indiana AT&T U-verse users, you might want to check this site for further tips to consider before allowing AT&T U-verse to take up your valuable time. AT&T U-verse: A Consumer Report Indiana

AT&T started the installation process for our Carmel, Indiana (Indianapolis) home 8/6/2008 and they abandoned us on 8/20/2008. It was quite frustrating to have them give up when we were ready to wait it out while they finished. After fixing many other problems, they finally said they couldn't fix the internet.

We had many problems with the AT&T U-verse Gateway and wireless home network provided by AT&T. The internet speeds were so inconsistent that even reading e-mail became a burden (speeds varied up and down randomly from 350 kbps to 5.7 kbps and back down within very short time periods)

AT&T told us they couldn't deliver reliable, consistent internet speeds via their wireless network. I thought they could have fixed the problem, but I guess not.

-Long, ineffective installation process
-Slow, slow internet speeds (when using wireless network)
-Internet lags and disconnects
-When the going gets tough, At&T quits and walks away

AT&T U-verse: A Consumer Report Indiana

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)