So, I'm trying to find a loophole...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Scoots McGee

Original poster
May 18, 2012
United States
Well, my apartment requires everyone who wants digital tv to purchase it through Direcpath. I spent about 10 minutes on the phone with this company before I realized I would regret giving them a single dime. They gave me the run-around, didn't fulfill their promise of giving the same deals that Directv shows on their website, and were just all around pushy when it came to try and get me to sign up. It was very clear that all they are interested in is getting new customers and then forgetting about them once the bill is paid. After that I researched them and found that an overwhelmingly high percentage(every single review I came across) of customers for Direcpath were forced to use them, and the same amount were negative reviews.

Anyways...sorry for veering off there. My questions are, first, can you mount a dish on a balcony? Second, is there any company/installer that would look past the "no-fly zone" associated with my apartment and proceed with the install anyway? And third, has anyone ever had experience with this kind of situation that can provide some sort of advice?

1 Welcome
2 Local retailer
3 Local retailer
4 Local retailer

stardust3 said:
1 Welcome
2 Local retailer
3 Local retailer
4 Local retailer

+1
+1
+1
I've dealt with this before in the field, it really looks bad to most companies who install it anyways. Most have contracts with the property and in turn can fine the install company big time for installing

:welcome to Satelliteguys Scoots McGee!

As long as you have exclusive use of your balcony and can install a dish within it's boundaries, you have the right to have your own dish. Do you have a line of sight to see the satellites? Generally speaking, east of the Mississippi you need a southwest view. West of the Mississippi you need a southeast view.

raoul5788 said:

As long as you have exclusive use of your balcony and can install a dish within it's boundaries, you have the right to have your own dish. Do you have a line of sight to see the satellites? Generally speaking, east of the Mississippi you need a southwest view. West of the Mississippi you need a southeast view.

Are you sure? Most of these places have MDU contracts that prohibit it. We have a trailer park we use to service then it was taken over by new owners and in turn signed a contract with a company that provides Directv so we're no longer to service it.

I'm not sure, but I don't see how they can prevent you from installing a dish on your own balcony or otherwise exclusive area.

raoul5788 said:
I'm not sure, but I don't see how they can prevent you from installing a dish on your own balcony or otherwise exclusive area.

I agree, there may be a loop hole but I know just from experience they wouldn't let us do it. I'm sure if somebody dug deep enough they could find a hole somewhere ;)

Are you sure? Most of these places have MDU contracts that prohibit it. We have a trailer park we use to service then it was taken over by new owners and in turn signed a contract with a company that provides Directv so we're no longer to service it.

Scoot's, Welcome to the Site !!!

I agree with Chip on this one, mainly because of the rights you have to YOUR Balcony.
Now if it's possible to install it on your balcony so it's not seen from the ground, thats better yet.

I'm guessing many of those contracts aren't legal or enforceable.

There may be no problem putting up A dish but in my building The Worst Company On Earth (ok, slight exaggeration) is the middleman for my Directv. I can't have my own D* dish because of the contract with the middleman. I can have Dish, but not Direct. EVERY review for this company is hideous. I don't get why D (or anyone) does business with them. Must be some sweet deal financially. 'Cause we definitely get screwed.

There may be no problem putting up A dish but in my building The Worst Company On Earth (ok, slight exaggeration) is the middleman for my Directv. I can't have my own D* dish because of the contract with the middleman. I can have Dish, but not Direct. EVERY review for this company is hideous. I don't get why D (or anyone) does business with them. Must be some sweet deal financially. 'Cause we definitely get screwed.

I don't think the agreement that prevents you from getting Directv on your own is legal.

I don't think the agreement that prevents you from getting Directv on your own is legal.

The complex can't keep him from getting it, but Directv can.

I may be way off base here, and someone who actually knows correct me if I'm wrong.

Provider A has an exclusive contract with Acme Apts. Direc agrees to the exclusivity. Provider B can't sell into the complex without being fined by Direc under some clause of the dealer agreement.

raoul5788 said:

If not, then this entire company is based on illegal contracts. Really, it's Direct which won't deal with anyone directly to set up a system or allow another provider other than the contracted one. Even though this one is so bad that Direct was forced to take over the billing last month. That's saying something. :-/

If not, then this entire company is based on illegal contracts. Really, it's Direct which won't deal with anyone directly to set up a system or allow another provider other than the contracted one. Even though this one is so bad that Direct was forced to take over the billing last month. That's saying something. :-/

Set your own set up ... Call D* and activate, you don't need a tech to come out and set up.
Particularly if you can set up the dish on the balcony in a position that it's not seen from the outside.
You can get all sorts of mounts for decks.

The link provided earlier includes an exception for a common antenna which might apply in this case...

Q: If my association, building management, landlord, or property owner provides a central antenna, may I install an individual antenna?

A: Generally, the availability of a central antenna may allow the association, landlord, property owner, or other management entity to restrict the installation by individuals of antennas otherwise protected by the rule. Restrictions based on the availability of a central antenna will generally be permissible provided that: (1) the person receives the particular video programming or fixed wireless service that the person desires and could receive with an individual antenna covered under the rule (e.g., the person would be entitled to receive service from a specific provider, not simply a provider selected by the association); (2) the signal quality of transmission to and from the person's home using the central antenna is as good as, or better than, the quality the person could receive or transmit with an individual antenna covered by the rule; (3) the costs associated with the use of the central antenna are not greater than the costs of installation, maintenance and use of an individual antenna covered under the rule; and (4) the requirement to use the central antenna instead of an individual antenna does not unreasonably delay the viewer's ability to receive video programming or fixed wireless services.

So in my read, unless there is programming you want that you can't get from the apartment's contracted provider, or the provider charges more than you would pay directly, or you want a different service than offered; Dish instead of DirecTV, then you may be required to subscribe via the apartment's contractor.

Set your own set up ... Call D* and activate, you don't need a tech to come out and set up.
Particularly if you can set up the dish on the balcony in a position that it's not seen from the outside.
You can get all sorts of mounts for decks.

Yea, but the property is probably locked out in Directv's system from building a new account

claw said:
The link provided earlier includes an exception for a common antenna which might apply in this case...

Q: If my association, building management, landlord, or property owner provides a central antenna, may I install an individual antenna?

A: Generally, the availability of a central antenna may allow the association, landlord, property owner, or other management entity to restrict the installation by individuals of antennas otherwise protected by the rule. Restrictions based on the availability of a central antenna will generally be permissible provided that: (1) the person receives the particular video programming or fixed wireless service that the person desires and could receive with an individual antenna covered under the rule (e.g., the person would be entitled to receive service from a specific provider, not simply a provider selected by the association); (2) the signal quality of transmission to and from the person's home using the central antenna is as good as, or better than, the quality the person could receive or transmit with an individual antenna covered by the rule; (3) the costs associated with the use of the central antenna are not greater than the costs of installation, maintenance and use of an individual antenna covered under the rule; and (4) the requirement to use the central antenna instead of an individual antenna does not unreasonably delay the viewer's ability to receive video programming or fixed wireless services.

So in my read, unless there is programming you want that you can't get from the apartment's contracted provider, or the provider charges more than you would pay directly, or you want a different service than offered; Dish instead of DirecTV, then you may be required to subscribe via the apartment's contractor.

Just see what dishes they have and find programming on one that's not there. Boom! You got your own :D

Status
Please reply by conversation.