so...is it REALLY not possible to have legacy receivers/Hoppers on the same account?

seenett

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 17, 2012
Eugene, Oregon, United States
So...I am going to beat a dead horse here. We've all heard it is "not possible" for legacy and Hopper receivers to share the same account. For those of us with RVs, mixing of Hoppers and VIPs is just plain not allowed. Yes, they can't share the same cabling - and they can't even share the same billing account. "It's just not possible for the software in the system". Yada yada yada.

So why did my first post-Hopper billing statement "erroneously" include both my old VIP622s and my new Hoppers? I thought this wasn't technically feasible? Yes, I contacted DISH and it is a billing error - one that, according to the all the excuses from DISH about mixed equipment - isn't possible to do?

Screen Shot 2012-05-10 at 8.58.28 PM.png

Correct, it is not possible to have Hopper equipment mixed with VIP/DP/Legacy receivers on an account. There should be a portion on your bill that has prorated credits for the $17 DVR fee, but if you send me a PM with your phone number or account number I can check it on my end

This is a new billing system, and it undoubtedly has some bugs to work out. I'm sure that one will be fixed.

It is not a technical limitation, but one of Dish Policy, and like many other things, the billing software and what the CSR's use is designed not to be possible to create mixed system accounts when creating an account or upgrading to Hopper. Now, I do understand that if you also want ViP's at you location, you can open a 2nd account. But Dish, we've all speculated as to why, doesn't want mixed systems on ONE account.

I sent you a PM

Make that 2 PMs.

This is a new billing system, and it undoubtedly has some bugs to work out. I'm sure that one will be fixed.

It is not a technical limitation, but one of Dish Policy, and like many other things, the billing software and what the CSR's use is designed not to be possible to create mixed system accounts when creating an account or upgrading to Hopper. Now, I do understand that if you also want ViP's at you location, you can open a 2nd account. But Dish, we've all speculated as to why, doesn't want mixed systems on ONE account.

Correct, our system will not allow "mixed" equipment to be active on the same account. I'll let the OP share what I sent to him if he chooses.

This is not allowed due to a business policy

Last edited:
OP here. I have PM'd Matt. I haven;t heard back yet, but here is the crux of my question/dispute:

Is non-mixing of equipment a "policy" or "software limitation"? Every CSR I have spoken to tells me it is software. I suspect DISH is using software as a scapegoat (sorry, dude - the software won't allow it). My point is, if software is the excuse, how does the software erroneous bill me for a mixed system? Clearly the software will allow it. I really wish SOMEONE from DISH would just tell us that an actual human has changed their policy. They will no longer allow an additional receiver for $7/month. They now will now allow an additional receiver for the price of a NEW account - $69/month (in my case).

OP here again. I heard from MattG via PM. He did admit it is policy, not software. Kudos to him. Here is my response:

Thanks for the response again, Matt. I appreciate that your are the ONLY DISH employee who has actually said it is a new policy and not tried to blame software. I must whole heartedly disagree with this policy as a long time customer - but, I ordered my new Hopper system knowing this was the case. Knowing what I know now, I really wish I wouldn't have ordered the tailgater system last fall. It made alot of sense to be able to tailgate on the weekends for $7/month for 4 months. It makes NO sense to pay $69 a month for the same privilege now. But to me, the benefits of the Hopper outweighed the need to tailgate 4 months out of the year. I just don't like the "bait and switch" aspect of it, nor the choice DISH made me make. I'll post this on the main thread for others to see also, as you suggested I could.

billing errors are not uncommon. We've seen a few recent posts where old receivers are still being charged on Dish accounts long after those receivers have been returned or discontinued.

I suspect billing and activation are two different things.

heck, i had a recent billing error where nobody could explain it properly. They just credited the rogue charge and moved on.

Technically it is very possible to mix ViP and Hopper/Joey however for whatever reason DISH won't allow it. There have been various reasons thrown around here on the forum as to why, but only DISH knows the real reason.

It's like they are pushing you to stack that receiver on someone elses account. Kinda dumb and the policy needs to be changed.

During my training on how to install the system it showed a installation configuration for VIP and h/j setup in the same house. By running a 44 switch off dish to rec. and to node. But since the release of system that isn't allowed for some reason and in my opinion its to eliminate family members or friends from sharing accounts completely. With that said purchase an additional single node, dish, and tripod and just take your hopper along with you. If you have service plan with dish the tech visit is only $15 dollars to setup ur equipment at campsite

The ONLY reason holding me back from switching is the lack of OTA. On my own system, I record ALL of network shows from OTA whenever I can due to slightly better picture quality. I know I'm in the minority but since I have an high end HDTV system, i'd prefer the highest picture quality for my recordings. So for my family members who aren't too particular about picture quality and the foreign language OTA channels, they'd love the Hopper/Joey system.

I do have *two* dp44 switches so it's definitely technically possible to have both VIP and Hooper/Joey systems from the same satellite outputs.. now only if DISH would allows this.

The only other alternative would be to get a Tivo Premier DVR ($14.99 a month) or the Channel Master OTA DVR ($399 per purchase).

The ONLY reason holding me back from switching is the lack of OTA. On my own system, I record ALL of network shows from OTA whenever I can due to slightly better picture quality. I know I'm in the minority but since I have an high end HDTV system, i'd prefer the highest picture quality for my recordings. So for my family members who aren't too particular about picture quality and the foreign language OTA channels, they'd love the Hopper/Joey system.

I do have *two* dp44 switches so it's definitely technically possible to have both VIP and Hooper/Joey systems from the same satellite outputs.. now only if DISH would allows this.

The only other alternative would be to get a Tivo Premier DVR ($14.99 a month) or the Channel Master OTA DVR ($399 per purchase).
HD Homerun Dual only cost $97 at Amazon and provide 2 OTA or Clear QAM tuners but you have to save recordings to a PC HDD on the network and probably need a WMC Extender such as the Xbox 360 to watch on HDTV unless you have a HTPC.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)