So my parents got hooked up with DirecTV

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ngdot

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 12, 2007
Or I should say, are getting hooked up to DirecTV, because they just purchased a new HDTV :)

Anyway, they're moving from analog cable to DirecTV and live in Central Wisconsin (54427) - I'm confident that they'll be able to pickup both ABC and CBS with an off air antenna in HD, but the local FOX station (WFXS) doesn't even broadcast in HD :confused: The other FOX channel [which does broadcast in HD] (WLUK) is too far away to even consider.

Now, I checked on DirecTV's DNS webpage to check eligibility for them, and for WFXS they're listed as Grade A (strong signal) which makes sense, they're only a few miles from the station - but again, it's not broadcasted in HD. Because they're listed as a "Grade A" the website says they are not eligible for DNS coverage.

Is that the end of it? No FOXHD coverage for them? Or can I contact DirecTV and explain the situation?

MyFox Wausau | FOX55 HD Questions?

All you can do is ask DirecTV to submit waivers on your behalf. By reading the WFXS FAQ on their website, I will bet you will be denied, especially seeing that I remember reading that signal strength/waivers are all based on the ANALOG portion; and they should be REAL STRONG.

Remember, DBS has ZERO control or say over who can and can't get DNS. This is all zip code and signal contour based and set for them to enforce by law. AKA they are told what to do. You need to complain the the FCC, your local affiliate and the NAB.

MAYBE the waiver process will work, but I would not hold your breath. If WFXS really wanted to be up on DirecTV via LiL retransmission, they would be; they found a way with the local cable outlet. WFXS is owned by Davis Television Wausau, LLC (aka John Davis - I wonder what their/his affiliation is with the local cable co?)

Or I should say, are getting hooked up to DirecTV, because they just purchased a new HDTV :)

Anyway, they're moving from analog cable to DirecTV and live in Central Wisconsin (54427) - I'm confident that they'll be able to pickup both ABC and CBS with an off air antenna in HD, but the local FOX station (WFXS) doesn't even broadcast in HD :confused: The other FOX channel [which does broadcast in HD] (WLUK) is too far away to even consider.

Now, I checked on DirecTV's DNS webpage to check eligibility for them, and for WFXS they're listed as Grade A (strong signal) which makes sense, they're only a few miles from the station - but again, it's not broadcasted in HD. Because they're listed as a "Grade A" the website says they are not eligible for DNS coverage.

Is that the end of it? No FOXHD coverage for them? Or can I contact DirecTV and explain the situation?

IS an OTA antenna out of the question, you would be able to pick up FOX (WLUK) out of GB with a OTA antenna (OUTSIDE one that is) it is 68 miles, that is NOT to far for a OTA antenna to work.
I pick up channels that far away from time to time. (I don't go out of my way to do this on a regular basis), but it can be done, particlarly if you get the correct antenna for the situation.

Jimbo

They'd have no means to install the thing. He's confined to a wheelchair and mom doesn't really do stuff like that. A simple antenna they could plug in and leave next to the TV is about the extent.

Well, they got all setup and installed, and picked up an antenna from Radioshack before the installer arrived. The installer was very polite and nice, and hooked up and installed the OTA antenna and they said they're pulling in ABC, NBC, and CBS in HD no problems at all (70%+)

Not a whisper from WLUK though, even in analog.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts