So now that voOm looks like its going to survive what does it need to change?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Do you think they will "give" the DVR to their current customers like they would new customers? Or, will there be some type of up front "leasing fee" like E* is charging for their 522's, etc???

I am a current E* customer but I want more HD so I want V* and I want DVR to go with it. If I switch now to V* will they make me pay in the next few months to then get the DVR? If so, then I will wait to convert to V*....

What do you all think?

jbcheshire said:
I am a current E* customer but I want more HD so I want V* and I want DVR to go with it. If I switch now to V* will they make me pay in the next few months to then get the DVR? If so, then I will wait to convert to V*....

What do you all think?

New customers always get a better deal than exsisting. However if you wait for the DVR you might be waiting for a long time. It could come out in 3 months or in a year.

1) Better ads... stress the SD aspect as well as the HD. Most people think it is HD only
2) Pick up distant locals. WOuldn't help me, but will help some.
3) DVR!

I have an idea and VOOM can pay me for it if they would like. Here it is:
Survey existing customers to determine which OTA stations they are picking up. (maybe you can even do this remotely through the receiver) Then database market to customers in those same areas (by ZIP code, HDTV ownership, income, and even by topographic data) with a postcard that lists not only the VOOM HD channels but also the OTA channels that the customer will receive. In my area (the northern NJ shore) VOOM could pretty much guarantee reception of ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX, WB, UPN, and PBS in HD as well as another PBS, PAX, the network subchannels, and few others in digital.

I am sure there are many other areas of the country where VOOM can do the same thing.

This plan should only be used after VOOM has a DVR because the marketplace has shown that people would rather have less HD channels with a DVR than more HD channels without one.

jagouar said:
Talking installer network, etc.... maybe we can get a nice list going and get it sent to Charles since it looks like he might be able to run this company properly now.
1:Multiple tuner HD DVR
2:Home networking
3:Self installs
4:More variety in HD content.
5:Better advertising in stores. (It looks like Direct pays sears to hide Voom display's in a corner)
If I see 1 and 2 I will subscribe.

I'm sure there will be a special HD DVR promotion after the current promotion expires in early March. I will conclude that there will be a SPECIAL purchase price offer with an extended programming commitment (12 months). Unlike D* or E*, I get the feeling current subs will get first dibs on the HD DVR. We shall see...

Also, I would love see subscribers offered a SELF INSTALL option. VOOM HD can always roll a truck at a later time should the individual run into problems.

shadow_keeper said:
National HD feeds of the networks need to be put up for all users who can't pick them up ota.
I second that, and it would be GREAT to have networks! However, I'll settle for keeping what we have for now and be thankful I can always find something in HD! The exclusives have improved tremendously in the past few months.....have you checked out HD NEWS lately? They're doing a very decent job, imho......

If we are talking about things in general. I would like to see them add the expanded line of VH1's and MTV's. Ie.. MTV2, MTV Hits, VH1 Classic, VH1 Country, ect. and Fit TV. I have seen the channles they are adding for March and am excited about it. It would be nice to include this in the near future.

" I have seen the channles they are adding for March and am excited about it."

Do you have a link? I've been poking around every now and then looking for that info, but haven't tripped over it yet?

Lob

Thanks. That had the SD list, which was interesting. Wonder what the other HD channels will be. Guess we'll all know soon enough...

Lob

HD Broadcast national feeds...

riffjim4069 said:
HD Broadcast national feeds...
I am totally behind this one!

Broadcast channels are all we miss because we can't get OTA in our location. We will do without until Voom solves it!

(We could go with cable for locals.... But.... yechhh :no )

1. Detailed and thorough instructions. This includes the dish, receiver and OTA.
2. Self install option (easy if point 1 is done well).
3. Referrals
4. DVR.
5. Additional receivers.

i beleive they should fix the problem with the locals and the dvr

To me the number one thing Voom needs to do is get the DVR available ASAP. As for the channel lineup, I think it is pretty good. But Networks without an antenna would be great. And Voom needs to cleanup their current channel assignments, i.e. placing like channels together instead of spreading them out haphazardly (for example why is A&E at 510 and the history channel 613?). The HD offerings are hard to beat and I can't think of anything else in SD I want other than History International, Military Channel, NGC, all Discovery channels and MTV2. As for installation and service, I guess I am lucky, I have not had any problems with Voom: the installer was competent, the picture is great, the channel selection is good, the only major complaint for me is the lack of an HD-DVR. As for building subscribers, as everyone has been saying: Voom needs better advertising and a major electronic retailer (not Sears) behind them. I am the only person in my office who has Voom; I sing its praises to deaf ears, so Voom has to work on getting their message out.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)