So, so confused! - Upgrade Questions

aesterling

Original poster
Feb 1, 2009
Minneapolis, MN
I've only recently discovered this site and have been reading and reading for a week straight. That being said, I think I'm more confused now than when I started!

Let me first say, I apologize if my questions have been answered already, but with all the new changes, I can't figure things out. :confused:

I've been a DishNetwork customer for a number of years and just last week (finally) got an HDTV. So here are my questions:
1) If I were replace my Dish 301 receiver with a Duo 322, would I be charged the receiver lease fee twice because it supports two tvs?

2) From what I understand, the first receiver is included in the price, then addition receivers are charged the "lease fee." If I upgrade to an HD receiver (with the $7 fee, instead of the $5) would they ever count THAT one as the included/free receiver and my 2nd receiver (the SD one - $5) as the "leased" one?

3) If a leased receiver (say a dvr) stops working and I don't have Dish Home Protection Plan, what happens? Do they not replace it?

4) Can someone explain the "phone line fee"? Is this different from the "Additional Outlet Fee"? When does each apply? And to all receivers? SD, HD, DVR, 1st, 2nd?

5) Is "Dish DVR Advantage" is now call "TurboHD DDA"? Can someone explain what this is? It says "Add local channels and a DVR to any TurboHD package for only $10 more." Does this include a certain receiver/s? One room? Two rooms? Would I still be charged the $5.98 DVR fee? How about the receiver lease fee? Would I no longer have to pay for locals separate?

6) What's included in the "DDA TurboHD Bronze" package shown here: http://www.satelliteguys.us/attachment.php?attachmentid=32148&d=1229699854

7) What is the "HD Enabeling Fee" and when does it apply?

8) Would replacing my current 2 leased receivers and changing programing require me to sign another 2-year contract?

9) Would my Dish (on the roof) and the switches need upgrading to handle HD? If so, do I have to pay for the equipment or the install?
THANK YOU in advance for taking the time to answer any of these! Even after search the forums for answers, its very confusing!

-Aaron

Last edited:
1) no
2) yes
3) you can add DHPP, get it fixed, then remove DHPP.
4) phone line fee applies to dual-output (x22) receivers only.
5) ????
6) ????
7) it is the additional fee if you have HD equipment but don't subscribe to HD programming
8) probably
9) likely, should be covered

Pepper, thanks for the fast reply!

I guess what I'm confused about is the advantage to getting TurboHD DDA. If locals cost $5 and the DVR fee costs $5, that's the $10 that TurboHD DDA costs, right there. Does it provide other features or savings?

In looking at the DuoDVR ViP 722, does it still have this nasty old-looking interface? (see attached) Have they updated the EPG and menu's to look more modern?

Also, would the Vip 922 be worth waiting for? Will it too support two tvs? Do we have any idea when it'll come out other than "Spring 2009"?

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    65 KB · Views: 177
  • Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    82.7 KB · Views: 161
That's what it looks like. Looks real modern compared to, say, the dish 301.

The ViP922 is definitely worth having but I would guess it is going to be a while before it's available.

I'm ready to make the upgrade, but I want to see the ViP 722 in person first. Any ideas where I can do that? I've tried searching for Dish Resellers but didn't have any luck. Somewhere local, today?

Nothing much to see. Any photo tells the tale. Everybody around here loves the 722. You should too.

Your local radio shack might have one or its predecessor the ViP622, but if they are as incompetent as the ones near me, they have it connected to a standard definition TV and no dish pointed at 61.5 or 129 so virtually no HD channels.

If such incompetence is on display, you also can know that any question you ask about it will get an incorrect answer.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)