So...Um, I Bought an HD-A2

hpman247

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Yeah, little ole me. Hpman buying an HD-DVD player. Why you ask. Well you all alread know I have the HD add on for the 360, but for the same reason that I never play the 360, I hate watching HD-DVD's on it, because it is so damn loud. In the quiet moments of a movie I can hear the thing hissing away and it drives me crazy.

So I decided that I wanted to get a standalone unit, especially now that I wont get to see any Paramount movies on BD for 18 months and Universal has Knocked up, and the Bourne series soon. So I looked for a deal. I found one for 236 from BeachCamera, bought it, and it should arrive today. I thought that was one hell of a deal considering free shipping and 5 free movies. Thats less than 150 for an HD-DVD player. Killer deal IMO. I'm gonna put the 360 HD-DVD player on eBay, but if one of you guys wants it, send me an offer.

Now I've got to get me a stand alone BD player. I told mom to get me that for my birthday in Nov. But I will NEVER, and I repeat NEVER buy an HD-DVD, because in my mind it is still doomed to fail. Netflix will continue to lead the way in HD-DVD for me!

so you wont buy a hd dvd movie becaues it will fail. but you will buy a hd dvd player?? not sure if that make sense but enjoy. you will love it.

so you wont buy a hd dvd movie becaues it will fail. but you will buy a hd dvd player?? not sure if that make sense but enjoy. you will love it.

No I refuse to support the studios because I feel they made a bad decision to support HD-DVD over BD, but I do want to see the movies, so the least way that I will support them is thru rentals. If they only way that I can see the movies i want to see is on HD-DVD then I have no choice but to buy the player. But they make more money when i buy the movies and i refuse to support them to that extent.

There has been a lot of talk about paramounts recent decision to go HD DVD as it helped even the playing field there are more than enough Bluray only studios (Fox-Disney). In the end if you plan to buy one you should buy both there is no way around it no will there be. Until studios uniformly block one or as close to it as they can there will never be a winner to this war.

Netflix is my outlet for the moment too. I got in on the 2 free movie combo deal with the A20 at amazon recently. My wife plans to buy Knocked Up HD DVD and I plan to buy Transformers, Troy Directors Cut HD DVD etc.. the format will survive just like bluray will and it will only benefit us in the end as it will soon comedown to who prices the lowest and they look to stay equal on that or close too it.

No I refuse to support the studios because I feel they made a bad decision to support HD-DVD over BD, but I do want to see the movies, so the least way that I will support them is thru rentals. If they only way that I can see the movies i want to see is on HD-DVD then I have no choice but to buy the player. But they make more money when i buy the movies and i refuse to support them to that extent.

Interesting how the "format war" affects us & out thinking. I bought an HD DVD player within a month of when they came out last year, and have really enjoyed it. So, I kind of felt like you do toward HD DVD when I bought a PS3 last March, but toward Blu-ray: OK, I enjoy HD too much to not buy a player to enjoy your movies, but I'll be damned it I'll support you buy buying your damn movies, I'll just enjoy them via Netflix.

Well, I've enjoyed my PS3 (using only for BD playback) more than I thought, and hope you enjoy your A2 more than you anticipate. I've even broken down and bought a few movies. Apocalypto was my favorite - until Remember the Titans arrived this week.

Enjoy! :)

You will just end up complaining about bad discs if you only rent. I have this problem with even DVD's in the mail. Its like people walk on them.

Sounds a bit like the guy who says he isn't cheating on his wife because he only frequents prostitutes :)

They need to be produced for you to rent them, so in fact you are supporting the format.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)