So, what did you think of the new HNIC anthem?

angiodan

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 7, 2003
Cape Coral, Florida
After hearing the original for the past 40 years, it's kind of hard to be open to anything else, but, I guess it wasn't too bad.

Canadian Gold - Canada's Hockey Anthem Challenge - Hockey - Sports - CBCSports.ca

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChGi7PzKVvU]YouTube - CBC News Story on a new HNIC Theme: Canadian Gold[/ame] The youtube shows it with the new video intro. Starts at about 3:40 in, not the best quality unfortunately.

In a couple of years, if CBC is stupid enought to let CTV grab the rights to HNIC, it will be back.

Last edited:
Sorry guys .....

The OLD HNIC was WAY better.

If I had a clip I would post it, but I don't ... Wait a minute , I do have one.

Jimbo

Attachments

• hnic.mp3
    264 KB · Views: 168
After 35 years of listening to that theme I'm upset that some young punk had the nerve to even think of changing it. What's next rollerblades?

Whiplash,
I attached a link for your listening pleasure, post 2
Actually it was a contractual thing, CBC no longer wanted to pay royalties to the owner, so they decided to have this contest.

The old HNIC theme had a good hook to it, don't like the new one.

Jimbo

It's horrible. I mean, BAGPIPES???? Come on. And it just doesn't go anywhere. It doesn't have a hook, or a peak, or anything that builds energy. I predict it'll be dumped in a year, two at the most.

As I mentioned, there is serious talk that CTV will broadcast HNIC in a couple of years and grabbed the rights to the old theme when CBC let it go. So Greg, you may be right that it's only around for a couple of years!

As I mentioned, there is serious talk that CTV will broadcast HNIC in a couple of years and grabbed the rights to the old theme when CBC let it go. So Greg, you may be right that it's only around for a couple of years!

Thats not good .....
Who is CTV, Canadian TV ?
We cannot get that in the states, so this would NOT be good, I've watched HNIC for 40 years now ;)

Jimbo

Ok you guys should have put somewhere in the previous post that HNIC was "Hockey Night in Canada." When I saw HNIC the first thing that popped into my head was "Head <you know what> In Charge."

Thats not good .....
Who is CTV, Canadian TV ?
We cannot get that in the states, so this would NOT be good, I've watched HNIC for 40 years now ;)

Jimbo

CBC isn't available in the states either, but we get it through Center Ice. Most likely wouldn't affect us.

Sandra

CTV's Cable Sportsnetwork, TSN purchased the rights to the original HNIC and will use it for their Hockey Coverage this year. The cbc didn't want to pay the royalties for the theme and CTV stepped up the plate and bought it under them. That was the whole reason for the contest and new theme. BTW, the nhl network is produced by TSN and ultimately CTV.

It is lame!!!!!!!!!!!

Though a very cool thing though, I dont remember HNIC on the NHL network last year

The CBC HD feed is great

It is lame!!!!!!!!!!!

Though a very cool thing though, I dont remember HNIC on the NHL network last year

The CBC HD feed is great

HNIC was on Dish's version of CI last year I watched it every Saturday as long as the Wings were not on. Of course I flipped over to see Grapes.
Now if you had Direct's version of CI then as I understand it they had HNIC but only showed the games and did not show the early or the between game stuff this changed after the season got started and every one was yelling at them to shape up or else.

HNIC

HNIC is on CBC until the end of the 2013-14 season so it isn't going anyplace soon. They just extended the contract.

CTV has aired the NHL in the past but they are locked out besides Olympic coverage which they did outbid the CBC on starting in Vancouver.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts