So What Do Y'all Think (Signal Levels on HD Satellites)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

psumattDE

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 2, 2006
Wilmington, DE
Okay,
I had my tech out today to realign the dish b/c I was seeing low levels on the new 99a satellite (I have an H21) - and my 103 levels had dropped as well since my install in February.

Well, after the fact, everything was pointed perfectly. He checked at the dish, at the ground block, and the coax before it went into the receiver.

I came up with a potential theory - but wanted to run it by you all here.

Is there any possibility the receiver is reading the signal levels wrong?

For example - ESPN HD moved over to the D11 MPEG-4 version today on 206. I had a signal level of 47% on it. The picture was perfect, never pixellated, nada.

We got it up to 52% - but still, it was just fine. As he was about to leave, I was like, "Do you think that maybe it's just reading the levels wrong?" If this signal level was that low (47%) - shouldn't I have been seeing breakup?

When I run the signal test on 99a (14 TP's total), the odd TP's are all in the low 50's, the evens up around 80.

Thanks for any feedback.

It could be a level error, but if not those are low; my bet is it is actually low.

Low reading will still show your programming; its either on or out; there is no in between break ups.

BUT, a weak peaked dish will result is easy rain fade.

Just had my first rain fade since moving to the 5LNB dish about a year ago. And it was on the newly mapped MPEG4 ESPN. My signals prior to the conversion were low 70-mid 80s. On my other sat signals I have some mid 80;s and they have never shown any rain fade. I am going to call and ask for a repeak ASAP.

After the rain, the new MPEG4's from D11 came in just fine. But again, with digital, it's either on or off.

Curiously, I just looked to see where my signals were on the 99(c) seeing there was nothing there before ... I am happy to find out that they range from 90 to 96 :up :)

Jimbo

It could be a level error, but if not those are low; my bet is it is actually low.

Low reading will still show your programming; its either on or out; there is no in between break ups.

BUT, a weak peaked dish will result is easy rain fade.

till i Had my dish repeeked yesterday my levels on 103 were 37 at the highest and still had signal but if a cloud rolled in at all it was pixilating and total loss..

This sucked badly. now i am happily 88 or higher on all sats..

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)