So - what does everyone think E* will do with the Olympics HD space?

hancox

Pub Member / UConnaholic
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 23, 2003
Monroe, CT
Going on their current math, they're using 18 Mbps on the Olympic feed. At least 2 HD channels (I think maybe 3) could go in this space, using E*'s current 3 channels / transponder.

Dream proposition for me - CBS and NBC HD for O&O go to 110/119. I know it will never happen, but a guy can dream, right? :)

Best guess - Bravo HD+ goes up (talk about non-compelling content, total loop), space reserved for future, or they reshuffle some of the channels off of 3 / transponder.

Anyone else have any schemes up their sleeves?

I do hope that whatever DISH or Directv do, the other will want to do. I would love to see an HD war between the two.

Neutron said:
I do hope that whatever DISH or Directv do, the other will want to do. I would love to see an HD war between the two.

I second that. My desire for CBS and NBC to go to 110 is mostly because:

1) E* doesn't have a readily available 3 LNB, 1 dish solution yet (except for the few with locals on the superdish)

2) no LOS to 61.5 (so no 2nd dish or V* for me)

I forgot where since i've lerked around many sights since I bought my 811, but I did hear that the CBSHD feed would come over to the 110 sat at some point.

I just think there has to be more compelling HD content out there. I mean an HD shopping channel could compete nicely with HDNET :D

Oh, we will have a 19.99/hour playboyHD channel soon. That is my bet :smug

Neutron said:
I third the motion, its too bad V* is not big enough to force the other two to add more programming. Reading Seans posts over at the V* forum really makes me want Starz and even Max for their additions to hd.

OdiOdin said:
I forgot where since i've lerked around many sights since I bought my 811, but I did hear that the CBSHD feed would come over to the 110 sat at some point.

This has been rumoured and shot down so many times it's insane. I, frankly, don't see it happening. *Might* the combo of the 2 dish solution going the way of the dodo and D* getting CBS up on their main dish move E* to do the same? Here's hoping.

Even better - go 3 / transponder and get CBS/NBC/FOX on 110. I think my head would explode :eek:

hancox said:
This has been rumoured and shot down so many times it's insane. I, frankly, don't see it happening. *Might* the combo of the 2 dish solution going the way of the dodo and D* getting CBS up on their main dish move E* to do the same? Here's hoping.

Even better - go 3 / transponder and get CBS/NBC/FOX on 110. I think my head would explode :eek:

The obvious problem there is that you would need two transponders to do it, one for east and one for west.

We may see CBS-HD East and West move, NBC-HD, ABC-HD and Fox-HD East and West added to 105 once the new bird is launched, however I doubt that we will ever see these channels placed on 110. I suspect very strongly that if any new HD channels are ever added to 110, it will be Cinamax-HD, Starz-HD, or Bravo-HD and or other National HD channels that are available to everyone and not just a select few markets. I suspect at least some new National HD channels will go to 105 as well.

Please Dish, screw any new HD additions on 110 and go back to 2 channels per transponder! If you can, add the HD networks (ABC, NBC, Fox) to the side slots and put any other HD on hold until you have the bandwidth to do it right.

NightRyder

The problem with that is if DISH forgoes any HD additions, and Directv plows ahead, then it makes DISH look like it's in last in HD.

Neutron said:
The problem with that is if DISH forgoes any HD additions, and Directv plows ahead, then it makes DISH look like it's in last in HD.

I agree, remember despite "E"s contention that they will be the leader in HD, their actions in HD speak louder than their promises.

"E" is a follower in HD.

We need to look at "D" first and then see what "E" does, not the other way around.

Neutron said:

If it were a long term situation I would agree, but HD is still such a small niche market that any minor short term discrepancies will have negligible impact.

The HD Olympics broadcast has proven they don't yet have the technology to have more than 2 HD channels per transponder and maintain a quality picture.

I can tolerate waiting for more HD channels as long as they maintain the picture quality.

NightRyder

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts