So what happened to significantly viewed lil?

tonyp56

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
May 13, 2004
Tulsa, Oklahoma, United States
Perhaps, it is buried somewhere, but I was just wondering, what ever happened to Dish (or Directv for that matter) adding significantly viewed locals (local channels deemed significantly viewed from neighboring DMA's)?

Haven't heard anything about this is a while, and was just wondering. What, did they get the law changed, and then decide, that they don't want to add channels from other DMA's?

Thanks,

E* lost the legal authority to provide SV channels when they lost the DNS legal battle. Congress is considering changes to the law that would allow for SV channels to be provided but don't hold your breath.

Over the years, we as satellite dish consumers are getting the short end of the stick. The NAB is to blame for all of us losing our rights to what we want to watch, whether it be DNS or SV. We must all let Congress know how we feel, and fight the NAB Beast. The time is not later, but now!

Dish Network had started implementing significantly-viewed (SV) in quite a few markets. DirecTV has not added as many.
affox14 said:
Over the years, we as satellite dish consumers are getting the short end of the stick.
The law gave consumers the short end of the stick. By keeping local-into-local and signficantly-viewed with separate elections for must-carry or retransmission consent, it became rather difficult to add SV stations. I would hope this is rectified under a revision of the law, but more people need to jump on the bandwagon.
affox14 said:
The NAB is to blame for all of us losing our rights to what we want to watch, whether it be DNS or SV.
The customer has just as many rights as the satellite company or the broadcasters. The difference here is because one company decided to completely ignore the law for a long period of time, that the courts had no choice but to put an injunction on Echostar for not following the rules.

Actually the rules on LIL etc discuss the right of the broadcaster for carriage or compensation. They really don't address the consumer's rights.

but I agree that DISh was violating the rules. In fairness they tried to work outa settlement but their actions brought this on.

Let's Start that band wagon to get a revision in the law. I wrote to my Congressman again. He has indicated he will support new legislation. We need to do now what Charlie tried back before the cut off date with the Save our Channels website. The revision in the law needs to be better than S 4067, something that favors consumers especially rural ones and those that live in an OTA white area.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)