So what happened to the new HD?

djcruiser

Original poster
Nov 7, 2008
Again all the rumours of new HD after the quarterly earnings report, then after tech chat...
So what the heck happened?

Are we gonna get some new HD soon or what?

This is crazy!

Also, I know there are plenty of posts about new HD, but nobody has added any new comments since last week so I thought I would try to rekindle the flame.

:hungry: FOR HD

neither D or E are doing much on the national HD right now. i stopped putting much weight on rumors to avoid disappointment. just trying to be grateful for what we have right now which is more than others ;)

Charlie, apparently smoking some good stuff, announced during the call that he doesn't see HD as a business driver. So, apparently, he know longer cares about HD programming. (I loved how, during the Tech Forum they made such a big deal about NO PROGRAMMING QUESTIONS.)

We have a reasonable chance to see some in December with the launch of the Comcast channels, but what happened to what we were rumored to get last week, who knows?

DirecTV is supposed to launch something around Thanksgiving according to the reliable Satracer at the other site. Maybe that will also get Dish into gear.

And for those that just say "who cares, I'm happy" remember the HD Only packs. Each new HD, even if its already an SD, is a new channel for us. I greatly miss some SDs. Yeah, I could upgrade, but 3 channels aren't worth over $25/month for me.

Just a random guess, but I think they wanted to finish the EA shuffle with 77 coming online. There has been a lot of shuffling lately and with the fringe areas (looking at you Alaska and Hawaii) finally getting what some of what the rest us have had since spring; my guess is when they do add more they want to be sure everyone can see them. With space where it was, that was difficult.

But I'd also have to re-iterate what Rey said... I mean, if I was on CoNcast for HD I would be limited to about half of the HD options that I'm getting through dish (although I would have CSN:philly HD but that is for a completely different thread all together)

I do not understand why people keep asking where the new HD channels are when I have never heard anything confirmed that we would be getting them as any particular date. The only statement I can recall were new HD local markets going onto a sat location that is not even in full operation yet. The only other part is the promise of 150 HD channels by the end of the year which is still over six weeks away.

I understand that they are "rumours"..as i said in the post.

Just trying to get some more info if there is any out there.

I know we have 6 or so weeks til the end of the year...and we are already "up to 150", so it doesn't hurt to keep the interest going and maybe we'll get some fresh confirmed info because of it.

Thanks

Could the down turn in the economy also have something to do with there being less movement on conversion of SD to HD channels?
The Federally mandated transition to digital has no bearing on HD. It is about moving all OTA broadcasts to a narrower frequency band, freeing up the frequencies currently devoted to broadcast channels 1-13.

I block most all SD duplicates of HD channels.

If Charlie actually cared what you think people would not start "where is (insert whichever channel Direc carries in HD)" posts every two weeks and every tenth post would not have a reference to the great HD package Charlie dropped.

The Federally mandated transition to digital has no bearing on HD. It is about moving all OTA broadcasts to a narrower frequency band, freeing up the frequencies currently devoted to broadcast channels 1-13.

If Charlie actually cared what you think people would not start "where is (insert whichever channel Direc carries in HD)" posts every two weeks and every tenth post would not have a reference to the great HD package Charlie dropped.

He was talking about the current economic slump. He might be on to something as people are probably gonna be tightening their belts and that means fewer add-ons. So any new customer will probably be shopping by price as opposed to shopping for everything they can get their hands on. I actually expect a push on regular programming in the near future.

vegassatellite was right

My statement has nothing to due with terrestrial OTA conversion from analog to digital. It had to do w/ conversion of SD to HD. There can and will be SD digital for a good while to come. There will also continue to be SD sat for a very long time. I think there may be a slow down for many of the different nets going to HD.

I have a hunch that I stated on the pub a few weeks ago.

Charlie ALWAYS gives false promises. Those of us still with Dish has got used to it. We wont see 150 by years end. Historically nothing major happens around now and CES.

Dish has their hands full of EA right now. HD locals are a big thing and every market they add is potential for more customers.

My prediction is no more national HD till next year's price hike. If they follow cable's lead we could be paying as much as 10% more for the same stuff plus a couple more national HD if were lucky.

My statement has nothing to due with terrestrial OTA conversion from analog to digital. It had to do w/ conversion of SD to HD. There can and will be SD digital for a good while to come. There will also continue to be SD sat for a very long time. I think there may be a slow down for many of the different nets going to HD.
Any conversion from SD to HD is and will be voluntary. It will happen, but when? Try and find a commercial quality SD camera. They are very rare now days. The economic impact will be negligible at worst. To sell stuff you have to advertise. Many advertisements are the result of Federal Mandate. Think those pharmaceutical ads are actually designed to sell product? Big Phama must spend so much time and money dismenating public information as per law.

All this talk about HD programming and all makes me wonder 2 things first; what happened with all the big announcements that Scott and crew came-back with and could not share with anyone due to what ever reason and not looking to start another Voom thread or was that one of them...... Secondly is this all related to the what if maybe Charlie realizes how crappy things are and what happens if E* ends up going in the crapper is he just waiting to see/hear offer from D* and that is why they are holding off on any new channels????? All jsut a wonderin'....

Is that a veiled reference to VOOM?:p Oh, how I miss Monsters and its breathtaking clarity.......

ETA: speaking of, look what we are missing? http://www.voom.com/ How awesome would a 90 min documentary on Johnny Cash at Folsom Prision be???? I would love to see that. Curses Charlie!!!!!

All this talk about HD programming and all makes me wonder 2 things first; what happened with all the big announcements that Scott and crew came-back with and could not share with anyone due to what ever reason and not looking to start another Voom thread or was that one of them...... Secondly is this all related to the what if maybe Charlie realizes how crappy things are and what happens if E* ends up going in the crapper is he just waiting to see/hear offer from D* and that is why they are holding off on any new channels????? All jsut a wonderin'....

I'm sure no one can comment much more, but tell us, how have this years happenings compared with the original vision presented to you at the Team Summit? You all seemed quite optimistic after talking to Charlie there, but that has quickly disappeared.

As for a merger with DirecTV, I doubt that will happen. With Fios and U-verse changing the landscape, maybe it would have a better shot (and think of the services one DirecTV slimline could provide with all those licenses), but it is still iffy, especially with a Democrat coming the the Whitehouse.

I'm sure no one can comment much more, but tell us, how have this years happenings compared with the original vision presented to you at the Team Summit? You all seemed quite optimistic after talking to Charlie there, but that has quickly disappeared.

As for a merger with DirecTV, I doubt that will happen. With Fios and U-verse changing the landscape, maybe it would have a better shot (and think of the services one DirecTV slimline could provide with all those licenses), but it is still iffy, especially with a Democrat coming the the Whitehouse.

Good question.....Folks that attended Team Summit, did Charlie snow you guys? Certainly, do not disclose information you have sworn not to, but I would really be interested in hearing either a "Yes, Charlie has lived up to everything he promised, do not be afraid, good things are coming" or a "No, Charlie sold us a whole bunch of snake oil and hot air, Charlie is not to br trusted."

I do remember you came back optimistic as hell, and since then, not too much has happened. 1080p at $6.99 a movie with super limited selection is pretty much worthless. Oh wait, I have 75 HD PPV Channels to shoose from.......you would think as a "low cost leader" that additional purchase per view services that are above market price would not be an intelligent sales strategy.

Well, here's one thing that was said:
Eric Sahl then comes out and announces that More HD is coming to Dish this Summer and another wave is coming this fall. He says they are working on making some of the HD RSN's which have a lot of HD content available 24/7.
http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-network-forum/135657-team-summit-general-assembly-notes.html

Well, if you count the Premium rollouts (useless to me as a non premium sub) I suppose that was the Summer wave. They still have a few weeks to bring us the fall wave. And of course I don't think any additional RSNs have become 24/7.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)