jdr01930

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Feb 28, 2005
Gloucester, MA
From reading various post here, it seems like:
RSN's have been back burnered

USB Support is technically done, but back burnered (they can't seem to schedule a sales meeting to figure out how much to charge until June)

Doesn't seem like there's any roll out of new HD channels planned.

So, if all this stuff is fermenting on their back burners, what exactly is on the front burners? What are they working on NOW??

(I know that probably sounded cynical, but I really am curious!!)

I predict that there will NEVER be nbr on the 500 series of dvrs. In fact I am betting on that all of the sd receivers will be phased out for mpeg 4 ones in the next two years.

I would agree especially if Dish can get 30 - 36 SD channels per transponder versus the 12 - 13 that they get now.

Looks like the MPEG4 upgrade is on the front burner as they've put the 6 channels on one transponder....which means that they are planning on adding more HD channels. You didn't think Charlie was just going to let them (D*) get ahead of him without a fight.

Looks like the MPEG4 upgrade is on the front burner as they've put the 6 channels on one transponder....which means that they are planning on adding more HD channels. You didn't think Charlie was just going to let them (D*) get ahead of him without a fight.

Directv isn't ahead of Dish, and won't be, at least, until September of this year. That's a lot of time for Charlie to prepare and get some agreements lined up.

Even then, everyone seems to forget two critical issues:

1. Both Directv sats go up without a hitch, and operate with full functionality. They will still be in good shape if one has some limitations. But I think, given that satellites are very sensitive and can and do enter orbit with issues, Directv is betting the farm with their advertising that something doesn't happen to either sat.

2. All of the content providers launch the channels that they have told Directv they will be launching, and they all do it this year. I'm not ruling out the possibility that Fox has put together a Voom-like suite of channels that will be offered exclusively on Directv, but not 50+ channels. If Directv is able to get over 70 HD channels brought online in one year, and they are coming from a variety of providers, then this will truly be the year of HD. I just don't see that many channels coming.

Now THAT'S what I'm talkin' 'bout!!!!
I just saw the sticky about this - it all makes sense now!

Even then, everyone seems to forget two critical issues:

1. Both Directv sats go up without a hitch, and operate with full functionality. They will still be in good shape if one has some limitations. But I think, given that satellites are very sensitive and can and do enter orbit with issues, Directv is betting the farm with their advertising that something doesn't happen to either sat.

They have a third satellite built as well. It is built as an on the ground spare that can be sent up if there is a major malfunction with the first two. Good insurance against losing the farm.

Think it's good that E* is getting ready to make a effort to increase their HD channels for their subscribers.But the fact remains when you run out of transponders there is nothing left but to get more satellites up there.That's where
I believe D* will have the advantage.:)

I predict that there will NEVER be nbr on the 500 series of dvrs. In fact I am betting on that all of the sd receivers will be phased out for mpeg 4 ones in the next two years.

And further, we will all be offered a "free" swap for a leased bottom end box with 18 month commitment. Take it or lose all programming. Oh, want a DVR? That will be full price please.

I've predicted elsewhere that this will be offered first to AEP and Top 180 subscribers and slowly rolled down to lower tiers over the course of 9 months or so. I am watching for the release of the newer MPEG-4 SD box to be offered to all new subscribers. I would say this will happen 3-6 months before the Top 180 changeover

They already have launched 3 satellites SW1&2,plus D9s.:)

I thought we were talking about sats that have not launched yet. 2 scheduled for 2007 plus a terrestial spare. Get with the program!

E* has one planned for 2007 and no spare.

Last edited:
Well I called Dish Network and they have no clue if they ever will have HD locals for my area (Greenville-Spartanburg-Asheville). DirecTV on their website said it will have that very area added shortly. So I'm looking into switching.

I'm sorry, but I had plans for a big Super Bowl party, as well as the NCAA tournament, and went through a giant hassle getting that CBSHD permission from WSPA two years ago, and lost it. It's not acceptable.

If Dish was adding HD locals they should list the stations on their site. I see no evidence of it.

Well I called Dish Network and they have no clue if they ever will have HD locals for my area (Greenville-Spartanburg-Asheville). DirecTV on their website said it will have that very area added shortly. So I'm looking into switching.

I'm sorry, but I had plans for a big Super Bowl party, as well as the NCAA tournament, and went through a giant hassle getting that CBSHD permission from WSPA two years ago, and lost it. It's not acceptable.

If Dish was adding HD locals they should list the stations on their site. I see no evidence of it.

You can't list stations or programming until you have signed and approved contracts with the media providers for them. You won't see any changes on the website until something is carved in stone.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)