So who is getting the Samsung S8/S8+?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

IcEWoLF

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Dec 31, 2006
Nevada
I was considering getting one for my old man as a gift, I already upgraded to the iPhone 7+, and I had a $300 target gift card. So I could literally use that to gift him a phone.
I like the way it looks and the way it feels. Its really neat, plus its slick, something he would probably enjoy.

The only concern is that he has been using iOS which is very simple for him to use, but if he were to switch OS I am not sure how user friendly Android OS is compared to the Apple OS.
Currently he has no problems operating it.

So texting, calling, using Facebook and stuff like that is pretty simple?
I don't want to overwhelm him, plus I do t have too much time on my hands. I personally never used an android so I'd have to learn some stuff before hand so I can show him.

Reactions: truckracer
Had mine pre-ordered since shortly after the pre-orders went live. Looks like it will be a cool device. I love that they still kept the regular S8 only slightly larger than my existing S6 Edge. I know a lot of folks like the larger phones, but I really don't want to keep up with a phablet-sized device.

So texting, calling, using Facebook and stuff like that is pretty simple?
I don't want to overwhelm him, plus I do t have too much time on my hands. I personally never used an android so I'd have to learn some stuff before hand so I can show him.
Yes, it all works more or less the same. The biggest difference is settings laid out in a different manner, and learning how that is and where certain things are located.

As to the S8 itself, it is a nice looking device, but the Pixel line has spoiled me when it comes to android, and unless something dramatically changes with the next one, I do not see myself using anything but that for quite some time. It is amazing how much smoother it is than the skinned versions from Samsung, LG, and others.

Reactions: truckracer
I switched to Samsung a few years back and have never looked back.

I always install Google Now. In my humble opinion, no one can touch Google's voice integration.

Sent from my SM-G935F using the SatelliteGuys app!

So far peoples' biggest gripe has been where Samsung put the fingerprint sensor. If that's their worst problem then they should sell all they can make.

Is it true the camera can tell you to clean the lens if it gets smudged?

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

I went the other way. I switched from the Samsung 5 a couple years ago when the Apple watch came out. I was pretty happy with my S Galaxy 5 back then but reluctantly dumped it to have that watch. What surprised me after a couple months is that I didn't need to carry a spare battery with the iphone 6+ It just gives me several days of battery. The other thing I thought was normal for all smart phones is the iphone 6+ never crashed. All my android phones would crash requiring a hard reset every other day and if I used it hard, several times a day! I'd also get these virus attacks with the Samsung that required a virus scanner just like I have to use on my PC's. This made the phone slow at times.

Since I'm old schooled I have been slow to adapt to the phone as my main device but the infrastructure that Apple has created with the iOS and other Apple devices plus integrated with Google Chrome and the cloud really makes things easier. I'm eligible for another upgrade this June but will see what the iphone 8 offers. As for the Samsung Galaxy S8, I'm sure it is much improved over the model I had and is probably as good as my iphone 6+ 128Gb version, but will it be compatible with my Apple watch and Apple AirPods that I really like? Then there is the Samsung phone bans in some locations. The biggest one was when a cruise line recently banned ALL Samsung phones. It was odd not seeing a single Samsung phone in use. Most were warned ahead of time but a few I saw having to have their Samsung phones quarantined until they returned. That problem alone would concern me in purchasing any new model until it had been out for awhile. Even if I would want to jump back on with the Samsung S8 or if the iphone 8 comes out, I upgraded and it blew up, at least I could return to my iphone 6+. With the Samsung, I would probably lose too much I now enjoy with the Apple infrastructure. So, sorry, Samsung I'm nor addicted to Apple convenience. Too many steps backwards to return to Android.

I went the other way. I switched from the Samsung 5 a couple years ago when the Apple watch came out. I was pretty happy with my S Galaxy 5 back then but reluctantly dumped it to have that watch. What surprised me after a couple months is that I didn't need to carry a spare battery with the iphone 6+ It just gives me several days of battery. The other thing I thought was normal for all smart phones is the iphone 6+ never crashed. All my android phones would crash requiring a hard reset every other day and if I used it hard, several times a day! I'd also get these virus attacks with the Samsung that required a virus scanner just like I have to use on my PC's. This made the phone slow at times.

Since I'm old schooled I have been slow to adapt to the phone as my main device but the infrastructure that Apple has created with the iOS and other Apple devices plus integrated with Google Chrome and the cloud really makes things easier. I'm eligible for another upgrade this June but will see what the iphone 8 offers. As for the Samsung Galaxy S8, I'm sure it is much improved over the model I had and is probably as good as my iphone 6+ 128Gb version, but will it be compatible with my Apple watch and Apple AirPods that I really like? Then there is the Samsung phone bans in some locations. The biggest one was when a cruise line recently banned ALL Samsung phones. It was odd not seeing a single Samsung phone in use. Most were warned ahead of time but a few I saw having to have their Samsung phones quarantined until they returned. That problem alone would concern me in purchasing any new model until it had been out for awhile. Even if I would want to jump back on with the Samsung S8 or if the iphone 8 comes out, I upgraded and it blew up, at least I could return to my iphone 6+. With the Samsung, I would probably lose too much I now enjoy with the Apple infrastructure. So, sorry, Samsung I'm nor addicted to Apple convenience. Too many steps backwards to return to Android.
I've have my Motorola Nexus 6 over two years and it's never crashed.

Reactions: nelson61
So far peoples' biggest gripe has been where Samsung put the fingerprint sensor. If that's their worst problem then they should sell all they can make.

Is it true the camera can tell you to clean the lens if it gets smudged?

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Yeah they could have put it in the middle of the phone the back which I think they will do or integrated in the touch screen on the front. Either way not that big a of deal heck when it was on the front it did not always work. So that being said folks Should always use a password for their devices anyway it's still the best way to keep your device secured. The finger print face recognition and eye scanner are more or less just for convention.

Reactions: Foxbat
Have not had an iPhone since the 4S. I have been Samsung Galaxy ever since. Never going back.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using the SatelliteGuys app!

Yeah Samsung Rocks and Apple and others for the most part follow their lead it's part of the reason their always one or two steps behind.. :)

I really like my S8. The screen is just amazing. Battery life has been great. My wife now has my S7 Edge.

She finally switched from the iPhone. She has always been pure Apple. Now she gets what she's been missing. Customization on the home screen instead of 7 years of icons only. Fast charging and expendable storage. 128gb card for $28 not $100 Apple prices.

She loves it.

Except when they explode..but I agree with your post

Sent from my SM-G950U using the SatelliteGuys app!

Yeah but the reality is was a battery issue more than a Samsung issue and if you want to be the best you have to be will to push things to the limits sometimes there a cost. But you will never get anywhere if your not willing to push the envelope from time to time.. :)

Reactions: Gobucks
Is there much to the news that some Galaxy S8 owners are saying they're losing audio from the speaker when playing back video (YouTube, Twitter, Facebook, etc.)? Sounds like a software issue to me since it comes back after a reboot, but one or two people say they can push on the case about where the speaker is and get it to come back.
http://www.tomsguide.com/us/galaxy-s8-audio-bug,news-25073.html

Waiting for a new Note (8) if I upgrade at all. My Note 4 is by far the best smartphone I have used or tried. It was so far advanced that it still can get the new updates so far through Android 6+ and is close to being as advanced as most newer phones. The screen is still great even by today's standards. If the new Note does not have a replaceable battery and it well may not I probably will not upgrade at all. Will depend on the phone as a whole.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)