So you want to be a tester?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
all dish subs are testers. often they report all sorts of bugs here...........

very sad, you shouldnt have to be a tech to watch tv

Believe it or not, my Hopper 1 has been going 5 years strong. Before then, I went through two 722s and one 722k. Each lasted about 2 years. During those days my 211 kept me going.

The biggest culprit to fail on Hoppers is the hard drive, from what my local retailer tells me. Since the 211k uses a dedicated external drive, I feel like the receiver may outlive the hard drive, but I can just swap it out

Reactions: pattykay
I just wish after xx amount of time...(few years..whatever)..you went from lease to ownership. I mean, at this point, I would just sign a new contract or whatever..maybe even purchase a H3 and 4 joeys/wj/4kj..instead of lease again...but alas:

I just wish after xx amount of time...(few years..whatever)..you went from lease to ownership. I mean, at this point, I would just sign a new contract or whatever..maybe even purchase a H3 and 4 joeys/wj/4kj..instead of lease again...but alas:
The cost of service is exactly the same whether you lease or buy. Unless you want to leave Dish early it makes little sense to buy.

Not entirely true. In Missouri we have a "leased equipment tax" that doesn't apply if you own your own box..
So, does paying about $5 a month or less for leased equipment make buying your equipment feasible. If you bought a Hopper 3 and 2 Joeys, for example, it would cost you about $550. That would take over 9 years to come out even.

So, does paying about $5 a month or less for leased equipment make buying your equipment feasible. If you bought a Hopper 3 and 2 Joeys, for example, it would cost you about $550. That would take over 9 years to come out even.

Not everybody needs or wants a Hopper and 2 Joeys. I have one receiver with an EHD, so buying it outright for $75 and avoiding the tax every month was worth it for me

Reactions: pattykay
IMHO life is too short to be worried about a couple dollars a month spent or saved on the most used entertainment system that our family has. 16 tuners, DVR, DishAnywhere, PTAT, AutoHop and on and on is well worth the few bucks.

If your goal is to be a tight wad and spend as little as possible to get as little as possible to just get by well then life is probably gonna seem a lot longer and not nearly as enjoyable. :)

Not everybody needs or wants a Hopper and 2 Joeys. I have one receiver with an EHD, so buying it outright for $75 and avoiding the tax every month was worth it for me
Let's say that receiver of yours is a 211 or Wally. You would probably pay less than $2 a month in state tax on it. It would still take over 3 years make it even.... Your choice, but I'mm going with Sheridan's comments...

Reactions: JSheridan
IMHO life is too short to be worried about a couple dollars a month spent or saved on the most used entertainment system that our family has. 16 tuners, DVR, DishAnywhere, PTAT, AutoHop and on and on is well worth the few bucks.

If your goal is to be a tight wad and spend as little as possible to get as little as possible to just get by well then life is probably gonna seem a lot longer and not nearly as enjoyable. :)

To each their own. You can spend as much as you want and I can spend as little as I want. It's a free country

Reactions: Jim S. and pattykay
So, does paying about $5 a month or less for leased equipment make buying your equipment feasible.
Dish is now selling receivers for $50. (At least, the ViP211k and ViP612. I do not know the price of other receiver models.) If you only activate the receiver when you are using it, and leave it deactivated most of the time, you would have your investment back in a little over seven months, compared to paying the $7 per month additional receiver fee to keep a leased additional receiver. For a receiver with a higher monthly fee (such as the ViP612) your investment would be recouped sooner than that. (Five months compared to a $10 per month fee to keep a leased additional receiver.)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)