Softbank Mulling Sprint / DISH Combo

I think it is important to remember that people's experiences with wireless companies is going to vary widely based on where they live and travel. Sprint is obviously going to be better in some places than others. I've never been a Sprint customer. I did try them out back in 2000-2001 when I was responsible for choosing the carrier for my company. Back then, coverage was a challenge, even for GTE (now part of Verizon), who had the best national CDMA network at the time. Sprint PCS sounded the best, but we had no coverage in our building, and they even had huge gaps on the interstates in NC. Since coverage was the biggest deal as we had customers all over the southeast and beyond, we ended up choosing AT&T, which still had their old TDMA network. It sounded like talking inside of a garbage can, but you could count on the signal being there more places than anything else, plus there was no roaming to worry about. Things are obviously a lot better these days, no matter which carrier you use. I think it is important to remember that.

I had Sprint for well over 10 years... left them for Verizon, pay $100/month for two phones and that is less than my one phone with Sprint. And now I can actually utilize the internet on my phone. Biggest issue I run into with Verizon has nothing to do with verizon. My iPhone 6, which was purchased at launch, overheats and shuts down, as if a dead battery. Once plugged into a charger, it is automatically above 90% battery, even after removing from power. Now I have 10 consecutive minutes of phone use, when not plugged in. Being an Apple, none of the phone companies offer support, really. I did call Verizon and told them I will hold off on changing my phone out until Iphone8, but I fully expect a completely free upgrade. They said they cannot guarantee it until the phone is release and pricing is revieled to the company. She said with her notes, this shouldn't be an issue.

It's not talked about often, but it is possible to replace the battery in an Iphone 6. There are kits available, or you could take it to Batteries Plus (if you have one in your area) and they can replace it for you. I think it runs about $75 and they usually have some good coupons on their website.

It's not talked about often, but it is possible to replace the battery in an Iphone 6. There are kits available, or you could take it to Batteries Plus (if you have one in your area) and they can replace it for you. I think it runs about $75 and they usually have some good coupons on their website.
Not worth the investment for 2 months.

I Agree 100% with your tag line....While I am on FB, its for my business and fro free entertainment. The ridiculous things people, especially millenials who by the way blithely beliieve that what they post on face book is "private", post on social media is better entertainment that any full length feature film..
Back to topic....With Ergen and his monstrous ego, he finds a way to piss everyone off and any deal falls thru.
As "monstrous" Ergen's ego may be, it aint no where near as MEGA-Monstrous as the ego's of the CEO of Softbank (who let it be known that any bank that would dare to finance Dish's bid for Sprint--in which Softbank was in competition to aquire--would NOT see any business form him or Softbank, and financing for Dish came hard to find--by coincidence), Apple's Tim Cook, even Jeff Bezos of Amazon has garnered a "monstrous" reputation himself, Comcast's former CEO now Chairman Brian L. Roberts--the KING of your "monstrous" ego award, but even he is dwarfed by the GOD of all monstrous egos: Steve Jobs, the creep of creeps and neo flim-flam man, the Pied Piper of Menials lined up outside his stores as he leads them, one by one, off the economic cliff charging hundreds of percents above cost only because he created a luxury brand through his ads, marketing, and presentations on stage stating things that could be seen as NOT true or just making his target audience feel horribly insecure and moronic if they don't follow him down his path, and all earning him the smite of the big C. On the upside, he did live long enough to win our Professor Harold Hill award, still being "monstrous" and a flim-flam man (still dressed in those 80's jeans and ridiculously dated and white basketball shoes and black turtlenecks as if he really dressed like this outside of the public eye) all the way to the very end, and that could not have come soon enough, according to those who coveted to take his place with the top "monstrous" award.

But not far behind are Mark Zuckerburg, former CEO Bill Gates who is still the same nasty troll he was before he began his rehabilitation campaign by handing out money and smiling. However, no one in the post-Jobs era seems to have topped the one who created a completely NEW level of "monstrous", a hitherto utterly unimaginable CEO "monstrous" ego that comes closest to those at the top level of La Cosa Nostra: The lifetime achievement award for "Monstrous" ego goes to . . . Travis Kalanick. Accepting the award for Travis who is recuperating from his penalty box of CHAIRMAN of the company he has besmirched, is former winner himself, Rupert (Darth) Murdoch:

"I am happy to accept this award on behalf of Travis, and he is pleased to have carried on such a tradition of large scale offensive law breaking, attempts (some successful?) at ruining the lives of people such as rape victims in India, distributing ridiculous junior-high and "monstrous" romantic advice for his employees whilst at party, creating a corporate culture that seemed to support rampant sexual harassment of women, and just plain bad behavior that is far too long to list here. And as for Ergen, listen up, mate: sorry Charlie, but you weren't even nominated because you are just too bush league. I hear you are hell to work with and can blow your top, and many feel in mortal terror of their jobs around you, and you might treat employees like kids or just obsess about people clocking in 30 seconds late, but even all that aint enough to get any of the awards in contention in this awards show, so move on, mate.

As for Travis, he's putting a shrimp on the barbie or whatever her name is, and he loves you all for voting for him, especially Richard Branson and Ring CEO James Siminoff who, while at a recent conference, campaigned for sympathy and tears for poor Uber Trav, all the while Rich and Jimbo could hardly fight their own tears as they hung their heads in deep sorrow for what Sir Richie and Jim Sim feel was a bad wrap, like those California Eggs who were finally released after being accused of having too much cholesterol. Travis will always cherish this award, even if he should ever land behind bars, like those California Eggs, or end up being shunned by society like that Glenn Close did at the end of that film Dangerous Liaisons, but, thankfully, that aint likely in today's society, even with Travis achieving new superlatives of "monstrous." I am a good example of how great my life still is after all my deeds, so don't sweat it, Travis. Thank you from Travis, and goodnight. FREE Travis!!!!!!"
[Cue the music and commercial]

Last edited:
I had Sprint for well over 10 years... left them for Verizon, pay $100/month for two phones and that is less than my one phone with Sprint. And now I can actually utilize the internet on my phone.

Same boat here. I rode Sprint all the way to the bottom before finally giving up and moving to Verizon. Having an internet signal on my phone that was faster than dialup has been glorious. What good is "unlimited 4G" when that 4G either wont stay connected or runs at little more than dialup speeds. Not even getting into Sprint dropping calls left and right.

Same boat here. I rode Sprint all the way to the bottom before finally giving up and moving to Verizon. Having an internet signal on my phone that was faster than dialup has been glorious. What good is "unlimited 4G" when that 4G either wont stay connected or runs at little more than dialup speeds. Not even getting into Sprint dropping calls left and right.

That was my experience also, to a "T." Had Sprint from 2000 to 2013 then I gave up on them. My experience with Verizon is 1000% better than anything I ever had with Sprint.

Last edited:
Reactions: ChadT41 and DWS44
I should mention that I used Sprint while I was in the military, traveling all over the country. It was pathetic everywhere I went. If they have small pockets, described above, well that would explain why they are number 4. I have never used TMobile, but damn sure used them to threaten Verizon into the free Iphone8

I should mention that I used Sprint while I was in the military, traveling all over the country. It was pathetic everywhere I went. If they have small pockets, described above, well that would explain why they are number 4. I have never used TMobile, but damn sure used them to threaten Verizon into the free Iphone8

T-mobile is the best thing to ever happen to Verizon. No, that wasn't a typo! Verizon is so scared of Tmobile that they resurrected Unlimited Data. They are finally competing on price. Their customer service is also improving.

T-mobile is the best thing to ever happen to Verizon. No, that wasn't a typo! Verizon is so scared of Tmobile that they resurrected Unlimited Data. They are finally competing on price. Their customer service is also improving.

Except I still think that any provider other than AT&T and Verizon which are the System A and System B legacy cellular carriers will still have the better coverage than the non-cellular PCS providers like Sprint and T-Mobile. Hopefully Verizon will offer the international free unlimited data roaming at reduced speeds like T-Mobile does too at some point.

Except I still think that any provider other than AT&T and Verizon which are the System A and System B legacy cellular carriers will still have the better coverage than the non-cellular PCS providers like Sprint and T-Mobile. Hopefully Verizon will offer the international free unlimited data roaming at reduced speeds like T-Mobile does too at some point.

In another 10 years it won't matter. All the major carriers are or will be phasing out GSM and CDMA and going 100% LTE. VZW's timeline for end of life CDMA 1xRTT is end 2019, 3G end of life 2021, IIRC.

In another 10 years it won't matter. All the major carriers are or will be phasing out GSM and CDMA and going 100% LTE. VZW's timeline for end of life CDMA 1xRTT is end 2019, 3G end of life 2021, IIRC.

It's not just the protocol but the two legacy providers already has the footprint while the newer PCS carriers can't just add towers as there will be the NIMBY people who are against it and then they complain about lack of coverage.

It's not just the protocol but the two legacy providers already has the footprint while the newer PCS carriers can't just add towers as there will be the NIMBY people who are against it and then they complain about lack of coverage.

Always wondered why Sprint and TMO haven't built out their footprint further.

Always wondered why Sprint and TMO haven't built out their footprint further.

T-Mo is starting their 600MHz buildout this year. That requires fewer towers as they can be farther apart, although it doesn't provide the same speeds as the higher frequencies. Of course, no phones support it yet, but that shouldn't take too long. Sprint seems to be focusing on the higher frequencies, which requires more towers -- not really a recipe for better coverage.

AH- but those frequencies Charlie has.......

Yes, that should make Dish very attractive to someone, although some of the spectrum is considered unusable from what I understand. Not really sure what his plan is there. Hold onto it and hope someone figures out a way to use it?

Reactions: comfortably_numb

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)