Software 00.05.08 - low signal

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

agi

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Supporting Founder
May 21, 2004
I just (FINALLY!) got the Voom installed and after 1 hour on the phone with Installs dept, he got it to work.

Now, I was told by Voom hedq. that the satellite dish was sent and was received by the installer. The guy shows up with dirty plastic Channel Master (30"?) dish, screws the LNB from the top to the handle and puts it on.

It looks distgusting, but it works. How hard was it to go to the distributor of satellite equipment couple of miles away, get a Winegard 30" dish for $29.99?

Voom said they asked them to buy it and charge it to the work order. That did not happen. Anyway, it is working now and I have the firware version of 00.05.08. The signal strenght is ~20. Is that going to change when the firmware updates? If yes, that the new reading is probably going to be?

Also, do you think I should contact Voom and tell them about the dish set up?

Thanks

I just had my voom installed yesterday, I had the same old firmware you did (which sucks BTW) channels jump (image vibrates) and the damn thing freezes

the signal was at around 65 for me with my 18" dish

BUT.... I got the new software overnight and this one is way, way better, it totally makes voom shine, it still has a few bugs, but its much better than before, also my signal went to 96-98 now, so just give it time....

tomorrow it will be much better..

you should prob give them a call though, my signal wasnt that low

DRAKO :)

If your signal is only ~20 that is WAY too low, your dish needs to be properly peaked.
You need to call Voom and get them to send a different installer out to aim your dish.

Also the new update that you should be getting soon (ver 5.86) will also have a different scaling number. I noticed after the download my numbers were higher than with 5.08.

agi said:
I just (FINALLY!) got the Voom installed and after 1 hour on the phone with Installs dept, he got it to work.

Now, I was told by Voom hedq. that the satellite dish was sent and was received by the installer. The guy shows up with dirty plastic Channel Master (30"?) dish, screws the LNB from the top to the handle and puts it on.

It looks distgusting, but it works. How hard was it to go to the distributor of satellite equipment couple of miles away, get a Winegard 30" dish for $29.99?

Voom said they asked them to buy it and charge it to the work order. That did not happen. Anyway, it is working now and I have the firware version of 00.05.08. The signal strenght is ~20. Is that going to change when the firmware updates? If yes, that the new reading is probably going to be?

Thanks

What's the signal quality? The signal strength is too low... I am surprised you are getting a signal.

The signal strenght is between 15 and 22 (satellite signal). Signal quality is 63. Is that because the dish is plastic!?

Anyway, what do you mean by properly peaked? The signal on the meter he had was 99% out of a 100% (the meter was a BirdDog) - pointing Echostar 61.5.

The guy at Installs said it was not great but it was OK for this receiver (??)

What should I do? Should I go and buy that d*** dish. It is a $30! dish. My gosh! How hard can that be to go and get one. I wanted to do it before but was told it would void the warranty! Ehh

Also, I'm using the second output on the LNB for Dish Network International. The signal on the Dish Network receiver is between 80-90 but I can watch only 2 out of 3 channels on my package (I get an error that the signal on one of the transponders is lost).

agi said:
Anyway, what do you mean by properly peaked? The signal on the meter he had was 99% out of a 100% (the meter was a BirdDog) - pointing Echostar 61.5.
That is the mistake alot of the installers seem to make. They need to aim the dish at rainbow1 (the Voom satellite). NOT Echostar. Even tho they are both at 61.5, they are in slightly different positions and it makes a big difference on a 30" dish.

He has tried to install it TWICE. I was trying to tell him that they are in different position but he assured me he tuned it 100% perfect because the meter showed him 99% on Echostar. He said: it is the same bird but different transponders.

Ohh boy! Should I try to peak it a little? Show I move it up slightly?

agi said:
He has tried to install it TWICE. I was trying to tell him that they are in different position but he assured me he tuned it 100% perfect because the meter showed him 99% on Echostar. He said: it is the same bird but different transponders.

Ohh boy! Should I try to peak it a little? Show I move it up slightly?

Yes, you can if you know how to do it. There is a meter in the system settings and that's the one that the installer should really use to peak Rainbow 1. You will probably need another person to tell you what the number is.

I know exactly what you are talking about. I know how a little on how to adjust the dish and just wanted to know if the Rainbow is on top of Echostar or below.

Now, since the last post I turned the received OFF and the software downloaded.

My signal strenght is now at 69 and signal power at 78.

Is that enough?

agi said:

Is that enough?
No. Most people have Signal Quality above 90...

Well, so the installation is messed up then :(

signal

agi said:
I know exactly what you are talking about. I know how a little on how to adjust the dish and just wanted to know if the Rainbow is on top of Echostar or below.

Now, since the last post I turned the received OFF and the software downloaded.

Is that enough?

if you got the new download your signal should be up in the high 80's to low 90's and if you are not happy with the dish i would call install and let them know ( Was it not a new dish),

Well yeah, it was not. In addition, I do not have local channels at all. The antenna he brought was not even close for the required one for my area. I've talked to Wilt, Lori at Voom headq, Installs and so far - it was and is still messed up.

agi said:

Thanks

This installer is a moron and should not be allowed back. If he installed some cheapie used dish when he was authorized to buy a new dish, you can about bet that he charged Voom for a new one and just used a junk one he had. The second thing you mentioned in a later post about his comment regarding Voom being on Echostar - it isn't and he should know that. Repeaking your dish is in order. I would suggest complaining to Voom - saying the guy installed some used crap (probably charging them for new) and then peaked it on the wrong satellite. Insist that they send someone else (another company) out with a proper dish and aim it properly. BTW - the material of the dish is not the problem. That dish should work for you if aimed properly - it's just the point that you are a new customer and should not get junk on your roof.

Well, so I called them and said I'll come over, pick up the dish and put it on myself.
They said that is no problem and that's what I did. Went and returned the old dish to them and took the new one. They saw the old plastic one with the LNB screwed in from the top to the dish and said they could not believe the installer did that. Duhhh!

Anyway, I only played with the dish for couple of minutes as I wanted to get the signal to watch the end of the Sweden-Holland Euro 2004 soccer game (which I paid for - same as the other games) and missed that one as well. Thanks to the installer, I was unable to watch most of the games (saw couple of them at my mother's house with my receiver). Anyhow, I got the signal up to the stable 82-83, which I understand is still not good enough for stable picture, but it can be done. What a morans! Ehh

Somehow, I can not get a signal on when I connect DishNet receiver with the same cable (switching the cable from Voom to DishNet). Interesting ...

Now, I tried re-peak the signal for now almost 2 hours with no luck. I've been going by a single degree from 0-80 (singla strenght) azimuth and 30-80 (signal strenght) elevation and can not get anything better then 80-81. Should I consider buying 30" dish (I think asking Voom to send me one will take another 3 weeks and 3 weeks for the PROFESSIONAL installer to show up LOL)

Will that get me that wanted 90's?

Well, I thought having 24" will take care of signal problem and especially rainfade. It is raining here in Little Rock, and I went to take a look at the signal meter and the signal would drop even to 0! Most of them time it wouls stay between 30 and 50 but then it would drop to dead 0. I was going to tweak it to get that 90' but now I'm considering upgrading it to 30" on my own (I do not feel like waiting 2 weeks for Voom to MAYBE send me one).

What do you guys think? Will it help?

Have you replaced the support arm as well? Because if you are using the old support arm, it may not be proper size for the 24" dish. May have different focal point for the LNB...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)