Software Upgrades, in General

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Proves my point. Win7 never needed to replace itself nor has any update ever been anywhere close to 4.5 GB. I dare say Win10 was working fine before and people should have the ability to easily decline these sorts of updates.
Windows 7 did get an update. To Windows 8. And that got one to Windows 10. With Win 10 they decided instead of periodic revamps of the entire OS, they'd do updates of new features, fixes, etc,

Reactions: Brussam
Proves my point. Win7 never needed to replace itself nor has any update ever been anywhere close to 4.5 GB. I dare say Win10 was working fine before and people should have the ability to easily decline these sorts of updates.
IIRC Windows 7 suffered at least 3 service packs, Windows XP SP2 introduced many new features.

THE semi annual Windows 10 updates are just a compilation of bug fixes, additional features and improvements made the previous 6 months, plus Microsoft is working to compact the kernel (actually make the OS smaller).

IIRC Windows 7 suffered at least 3 service packs, Windows XP SP2 introduced many new features.

THE semi annual Windows 10 updates are just a compilation of bug fixes, additional features and improvements made the previous 6 months, plus Microsoft is working to compact the kernel (actually make the OS smaller).
A lot of talk about Redstone lately. Wondering what that'll be like when it's released

it might be ok, except the simplest things take them weeks & weeks to accomplish

I've been through 3 separate outsourcing engagements in large enterprises. There are IT jobs that can be easily outsourced, and may even result in better service to customers. These are things that are recipe-based, and success relies on accurate documentation of processes and procedures. Now, that said, the reason for outsourcing is usually cost savings. As IT has evolved, a smart companies have realized that things that are easy to turn into recipes can generally be automated, and it is just easier to high some automation engineers to replace those tasks with processes with the added benefit that people who understand how things work are still on your team. As a result, large outsourcing companies are seeing their futures shrink.

The last engagement I went through was torture because the company decided it wasn't enough to replace the 25-year employees (actual average length of tenure of those laid off) who knew how everything worked with random people overseas who knew nothing about the business. They also decided to do the same thing in the division I worked in which was highly-automated with minimal staff and required staff to spend roughly 90% of their time to be spent on critical thinking and 10% at most spent on routine processes. They've had several horrible outages since the outsourcing happened, and yes "the simplest things take them weeks & weeks to accomplish."

Now they are talking about bringing things back in house and hiring new SREs (Systems Reliability Engineers) to get back to where they were 2 years ago. The VP of IT has been demoted and is probably going to get canned at some point. The problem is, in the mean time, they've ruined their reputation and good people are going to be hard to find in a town with companies like Red Hat, IBM, SAS, Cisco, NetApp, Lenovo, EMC, Google, Citrix, and now Apple apparently all hiring the exact same kind of engineers as fast as they can.

Reactions: comfortably_numb
Yesterday, my Win 10 pc rebooted in the middle of the day and after a two hour update, the screen read reinstalling the previous version of Windows. Two hours later, I was back at windows 7. I went into restore and all of my restore points were blank. Lucky for me I had a May 13 backup on an external hard drive. I opened it and clicked on restore and two hours later, I was back up with Win 10. Explain to me how a Win 10 update would automatically restore Win 7, without even asking?
This obvioiusly killed my days use of my computer. I have automatic updates set to install at 1AM.
Now, I am getting a pop up telling me that their is a win10 update ready to downloaded. I guess it is the same one that I got yesterday, since I restored my pc to May 13. Now what?

Last edited:
So you’re saying, sometimes there’s justice in this world?

I guess. The part I left out was me telling them in no uncertain terms that they should not do it because it was doomed to failure. Also, they've already contacted me about the possibility of coming back to help build the new team.

Reactions: comfortably_numb
I guess. The part I left out was me telling them in no uncertain terms that they should not do it because it was doomed to failure. Also, they've already contacted me about the possibility of coming back to help build the new team.
Assuming they offered double your previous salary. (end sarcasm)

Since the update this week to my hws now the box reboots in the morning and random times during the day. Then the "must reboot before you can rescan for ota channels" keeps popping up. :eek:
Hopefully this is a bug and will be fixed "soon". The wife is not happy.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)