Solid signal

Booboy

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 3, 2015
Mississippi
If I order a receiver from solid signal will directv activate it or can solid signal activate it. If only directv can authorize it do they require a truck roll.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

I would personally just ship it back to them and call Directv/AT&T and get one for FREE!

If they activate it, make sure it’s not LEASED, or let them put you in another 2 year agreement.

As a retailer that’s the only way they allow us to activate equipment. Shady signal has no back door or special way to activate equipment than any other retailer out there.

All they will do is put you under a promotion so they can build the work order in OPUS, and activate your equipment.

If it’s going to be leased with an agreement, why pay MSRP through Shady signal when you can get it for free by calling Directv/AT&T?

Solid signal is a shady company to deal with.

Go ahead and run the wire yourself and have Directv send out a tech to install it. He won’t mind and doesn’t care if your other receiver is at grandmas house.

Might be a problem if you live in Canada or moved to get locals.

Don’t say I didn’t warn you

I would personally just ship it back to them and call Directv/AT&T and get one for FREE!

If they activate it, make sure it’s not LEASED, or let them put you in another 2 year agreement.

As a retailer that’s the only way they allow us to activate equipment. Shady signal has no back door or special way to activate equipment than any other retailer out there.

All they will do is put you under a promotion so they can build the work order in OPUS, and activate your equipment.

If it’s going to be leased with an agreement, why pay MSRP through Shady signal when you can get it for free by calling Directv/AT&T?

Solid signal is a shady company to deal with.

Go ahead and run the wire yourself and have Directv send out a tech to install it. He won’t mind and doesn’t care if your other receiver is at grandmas house.

Might be a problem if you live in Canada or moved to get locals.

Don’t say I didn’t warn you
solid signal told me there's another contract for activating a box and it's a leased deal amazon's the same way to. directv does NOT sell the genie systems!!!

One advantage of going with SS is that you can get the specific receiver that you want. It you call DIRECTV and say you want a wireless client you can get a C41W or C61W. But if you want just the C61W the best way to guarantee that is to order from a retailer.

solid signal told me there's another contract for activating a box and it's a leased deal amazon's the same way to. directv does NOT sell the genie systems!!!

Isn’t that exactly what I just said?

Nobody sells Directv equipment. Everything is automatically a lease the second you activate it on your account.

One advantage of going with SS is that you can get the specific receiver that you want. It you call DIRECTV and say you want a wireless client you can get a C41W or C61W. But if you want just the C61W the best way to guarantee that is to order from a retailer.

And they are charging you full MSRP for a box that should be leased to you.

So get a free receiver you roll the dice when the tech brings out the receiver. Pay full price through solid signal, get ripped off, but get the receiver you want.

I agree a retailer is your best option, but NOT solid signal.

At least if you go through an honest independent retailer, you can get the receiver you want and not have to pay full price.

all boxes are leased unless one goes to a dish prepay plan

I will give credit to Dish for one thing. At least you can put a box on any account as an owned piece of equipment.

That’s the one and only advantage they have over Directv.

This is the only time I will ever say anything positive about Dish.

Now where is my gold star.

I will give credit to Dish for one thing. At least you can put a box on any account as an owned piece of equipment.

Its not any cheaper than leased...so who cares...you own a paperweight when you cancel

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• Haha
Reactions: krynn

Is there any advantage to an owned box on Dish? The only advantage for them on Directv is that you can activate/deactivate at will without sending it back, but that's true with most leased H2x/HR2x these days - they rarely ask for them back.

If you saved some money on the fees I could see wanting an owned box, but with the only real advantage gone they no longer serve a purpose on Directv which is probably why there has been so little outrage over people on 'AT&T' accounts not being able to activate owned equipment.

Is there any advantage to an owned box on Dish? The only advantage for them on Directv is that you can activate/deactivate at will without sending it back, but that's true with most leased H2x/HR2x these days - they rarely ask for them back.

If you saved some money on the fees I could see wanting an owned box, but with the only real advantage gone they no longer serve a purpose on Directv which is probably why there has been so little outrage over people on 'AT&T' accounts not being able to activate owned equipment.

Just the fact you can activate and deactivate whenever you want. Also no contract.

But if your buying a box so you can sell it later, forget it. There is no resale value on eBay anymore. Everyone is dumping Directv and Dish.

id'e rather just lease the boxes. if one of them goes busted.. then your not stuck with paper weights that more than likely you would have paid out the kazoo for.. with tech changing all the time it makes no sense to own anything any more. or maybe for someone that has crap credit and can't get approved for service... but there's ways around that to..

Last edited:
id'e rather just lease the boxes. if one of them goes busted.. then your not stuck with paper weights that more than likely you would have paid out the kazoo for.. with tech changing all the time it makes no sense to own anything any more. or maybe for someone that has crap credit and can't get approved for service... but there's ways around that to..

It’s not worth it to own it.

I used to buy my TiVo’s With lifetime service. Then I realized I’m buying the latest TIVO every few years and they don’t transfer lifetime anymore.

So no more lifetime service.

But if you want to buy a $50 Wally I see no issues. But I wouldn’t buy a $200 hopper or $300 genie

I think Claude really did earn a gold star with this post :cool:

i never had any problems getting what i wanted.. the second time around. the first time it was confusing since they don't mention the 4K mini's and or the genie 2 system on there site. i had to call in and tell em i wanted to upgrade my system to 4K and i wanted the genie 2... all free even after the first genie was installed...

And they are charging you full MSRP for a box that should be leased to you.

So get a free receiver you roll the dice when the tech brings out the receiver. Pay full price through solid signal, get ripped off, but get the receiver you want.

I agree a retailer is your best option, but NOT solid signal.

At least if you go through an honest independent retailer, you can get the receiver you want and not have to pay full price.
hell id'e tell DTV that there nuts if they think i'm paying for stuff that i don't own:D, now if i wrecked it then that's different!!! with normal wear and tear expected...

i never had any problems getting what i wanted.. the second time around. the first time it was confusing since they don't mention the 4K mini's and or the genie 2 system on there site. i had to call in and tell em i wanted to upgrade my system to 4K and i wanted the genie 2... all free even after the first genie was installed...
Thats because you were asking for what they were pushing ...

I tried for months to have them listen to me when I wanted to move to 4k ...
I told them I wanted to keep what I had (hr24s and a HR44) Now I knew I would have to change to an HR54 and that was fine, but for months they told me I couldn't do that, that I had to get the HS17 ... I asked them why they couldn't give me the HR54, and they came up with some stupid excuse, so I continued to hang up and call back another time.

Finally about 6 months ago I got ahold of the Employees line (somehow) and they knew exactly what I wanted and sent it out right away.

Reactions: krynn