SolidSignal Guide to Ethernet Over Coax Using CCK's/DECA

Status
Please reply by conversation.

schneid

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 27, 2007
In the Wind
SolidSignal published a great guide to using your home CATV/coax to carry Ethernet in lieu of pulling Cat 5/6. Using an HR34/44 or CCKII, CCK or old white DECA connected to your router to inject Internet connectivity and Network Switches, 2-port splitter, and CCKII, CCK or old white DECA's at remote locations to feed PC's, BD Players, Roku's, etc. Internet connectivity only via coax just requires a CCK. You only need a switch when a DirecTV device must share the connection with an Ethernet device. For just Internet, only the CCK is needed.

Anyway, check out SolidSignal's guide as it has step-by-step instructions for each scenario. Only downside is that Ethernet is limited to something like 100mbs which would be an issue if you had Gigabit devices that actually needed it. I have 30mb down Time-Warner and get that at the PC through DECA.

The link:

http://forums.solidsignal.com/docs/Coax Networking White Paper.pdf

Forgot, CCKII's are only about $8 on Amazon.

Reactions: SolidSignal
Interesting. That paper says that the Band Stop Filters (BSF) are to prevent damage to the non-networking devices such as a D12, H20, etc. I've never heard that before, and I've only ever heard (and experienced) that non-networking devices will interfere with the network. I suppose that both could be true... But in practice, I've never had an IRD damaged from not having a BSF installed on it when connected to a networked coax system.

I had to use a BSF on my HR20-100 when I got MRVed but it was a weird box to MRV. Don't use them on my current HR34, HR24, H24 setup with Ethernet over my DirecTV coax. As the HR34 has DECA builtin CCK's are no longer required. They are required at the terminus to break the Ethernet back out to Cat5/6 for non-DirecTV devices. I don't think the number is limited. You still only have 8 SWM channels but you can feeding numerous Ethernet connections. For me it was a savior as I just bought a brick house with fancy baseboards and was loathe to start drilling in to nice plus hard stuff. I now have the capability for Internet everywhere I have a Coax wall jack.

I also didn't want to drill the wood floors to route 5.1 speakers. Vizio now sells a 54" Soundbar with Bluetooth Subwoofer and Surrounds. Bought mine for $500.00 on Amazon. Probably not fit for an audiophile but I'm pretty impressed.

Interesting. That paper says that the Band Stop Filters (BSF) are to prevent damage to the non-networking devices such as a D12, H20, etc. I've never heard that before, and I've only ever heard (and experienced) that non-networking devices will interfere with the network. I suppose that both could be true... But in practice, I've never had an IRD damaged from not having a BSF installed on it when connected to a networked coax system.

I think I read there is a capability to backfeed your home Ethernet out to world using this scheme but also that you can't backfeed out the dish nor a cable modem. Might be a DSL issue. Unfortunately I no nothing technical about this. I'm just monkey see, monkey do.

I wonder how far you can send ethernet over coax... I would love to shoot a wire about 1000' through some woods using solid copper RG11... You can get that stuff for around $150 for a 1000' spool. Put a powered DECA on each end and presto! ...Maybe?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts