Solved VIP612 problem

longaniza

Original poster
Apr 14, 2006
VIP612 should have a way to format the hard drive using the remote (with special codes entered of course)
The dreaded reboot problems happened to me, and I managed to format the drive without taking it out.
Now the receiver is back to normal.

VIP612 should have a way to format the hard drive using the remote (with special codes entered of course)
The dreaded reboot problems happened to me, and I managed to format the drive without taking it out.
Now the receiver is back to normal.

So how did you do it?

There is nothing like giving one's self a pat on the back while not helping others with the same problem.

I had same problem with my 612 and was finally able to not need it any longer and sent it back to Dish. I would still like the info in case problem starts to occur on may other receivers.

There used to be some codes for the old 7100 series and,I recall having to reset a pw on a 2700 years ago that dish tech walked me through.Went to system info screen and did a series of remote presses (non volatile information has been corrupted)

Can't even remember what the code was now.

With the receiver opened, of course:
1- Turn on the receiver, without antenna connected, and wait until the HDD turn on (waiting for the Hdd noise), the hard disc turn on by command, not only by applying power to it.
2- After a little while, the heads are quiets, but the Hdd is on. Disconnect the Sata data cable only (leave the hdd power connected). Be careful not to touch the silver seal, it breaks easily
3- Connect a Sata cable, from an Usb external Hdd enclosure, and connect it to your Pc. Now you'll have access to the hard disk. I tried to repair it but it would take several hours, and as I have not programs to loose, I decided to deleted all the partitions using Windows hard disc manager.
4- Now, safely remove the hardware from the pc. Disconnect the power from the receiver. Put back the receiver Sata data cable. Thast it. When powering on again, it will tell you that the Hdd will be formatted.

With the receiver opened, of course:
1- Turn on the receiver, without antenna connected, and wait until the HDD turn on (waiting for the Hdd noise), the hard disc turn on by command, not only by applying power to it.
2- After a little while, the heads are quiets, but the Hdd is on. Disconnect the Sata data cable only (leave the hdd power connected). Be careful not to touch the silver seal, it breaks easily
3- Connect a Sata cable, from an Usb external Hdd enclosure, and connect it to your Pc. Now you'll have access to the hard disk. I tried to repair it but it would take several hours, and as I have not programs to loose, I decided to deleted all the partitions using Windows hard disc manager.
4- Now, safely remove the hardware from the pc. Disconnect the power from the receiver. Put back the receiver Sata data cable. Thast it. When powering on again, it will tell you that the Hdd will be formatted.

Well glad it worked for you.I wouldn't take a chance on the 612 we have as it's leased.

Good of you to post your method. It should apply to other models as well.

I don't remember what they are, but there is a keystroke sequence that will do the same thing. I'll do some digging.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)