Some Advise on motor setup.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Richo

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 30, 2008
I got a new motor (different MFG.) and need advice on what to do with my true south sat. My true south is 81.0 W Galaxy 9. I can not find on the list any transponders. So, any advice on setting this motor up and a way to point it?

Thanks Rich

you can use 83w or 79w to aim with....as long as you drive the motor to that satellite position using USALS before you do your aiming....

I did use 83W and it is at 0 position on the motor. What is happening is I can track all the sats right on until 95W. After 95W it over shoots the sats by one satellite. I change to DiSEqC and bump it back east until I get a signal on the right satellite and great signal. I don't understand, never had that happen. I have had this set up on this same pole for a little over three years. It is following the arc well because just bumping it back and I find the sat. I even put my old Merc II back online and did the same thing. I am confused. Hope I am explaining it clear enough.

I did use 83W and it is at 0 position on the motor.

Richo,

Currently, the satellite at 81.0°W is the moved Intelsat 3R and it is inclined 1.6°. Although it is very handy to utilize your truest southern satellite, it is not entirely required.

The problem here is in how you aligned to it. If 81.0°W is your truest southern satellite, you cannot dial your motor in to the zero degree mark and then align for 83.0°W. You need to drive the motor 2° west of zero and then align for 83.0°W.

This is most easy to accomplish using USALS with a H-H motor. Since I don't know anything about your system, this is the only and best way that I can present it to you. In this case (USALS with a H-H motor) you tell the receiver's USALS mode what your latitude and longitude coordinates are and then you command the motor to drive to 83.0°W (which moves it two degrees west of the zero position) and then you align your dish elevation and azimuth for reception from 83.0°W.

What you did was align your dish the best you could starting 2° off from the proper reference. This is why when you move further out on the arc, it seems to overshoot or undershoot the statellites (depending upon which direction your motor is covering the arc).

RADAR

Thanks Radar, I think I did just as you said. Since 83 was close I used USALS and moved the dish /motor to that position. Then I put my receiver on RTV and loosened the bracket on pole and turned until I got highest signal. And guess where the motor is... right on 0! I think there is something messed up in the motor. It is a SG2100.

Thanks Radar, I think I did just as you said. Since 83 was close I used USALS and moved the dish /motor to that position. Then I put my receiver on RTV and loosened the bracket on pole and turned until I got highest signal. And guess where the motor is... right on 0! I think there is something messed up in the motor. It is a SG2100.

Richo,

OK. Your motor's zero position may have been offset for some reason. This isn't normal or typical, but it is possible.

You can try to manually position the motor using the buttons on the motor to zero degrees (on the motor's scale) and then perform a reset according to the SG2100 manual. There are a few different variations to the SG2100 motor so the reset procedure may vary slightly. You have the manual that came with your specific version (I hope and expect) so follow that. Then go back and repeat what you initially did in your alignment setup. But, before you begin, note what the motor angle is according to the scale on the belly of the motor for your reference (when the motor SHOULD be at zero). Then, when you command it to move to 83.0°W, take a note that it moved somewhat by listening and that it moves in the proper direction.

RADAR

Okay, Thanks I will do that on Saturday. And yes I read how to reset it. Thank you again.

Radar, just wondering if after I try the reset if that doesn't work could I fudge the longitude. My Longitude: -80.60 and could that be fudged? But maybe if the reset fails I may just call the manufacture and get it replaced.

Radar, just wondering if after I try the reset if that doesn't work could I fudge the longitude. My Longitude: -80.60 and could that be fudged? But maybe if the reset fails I may just call the manufacture and get it replaced.

Richo,

Yes... You can do a lot of "ingeniuous" things to accomplish your task here. But, there is a legitimate reason for your tracking being off. We can determine what that reason is and correct it so that you do not need to "fudge" on anything. It's probably a rather simple thing, it just requires some patience to identify it. Everything can be made perfect or at least near perfect (depending upon your LOS and your level of patience / persistence). Let's just see what your results are from resetting the motor first, we'll all work with you from there based upon your results and findings.

Next, don't rush to replace anything (motor or LNBF or dish or receiver) before you understand it all. If you honestly can identify the problem and it is this or that, then you can send that back to the mfg, but don't do so until you know for certain that that component or piece of equipment is truly defective. We don't know that yet and it usually is not the case, so hold your reigns on that thought for now. OK?

RADAR

I did use 83W and it is at 0 position on the motor

when your dish is aimed at 83w your motor should NOT be at the "0" position....it should be slightly to the west of the "0" position...this is your problem....this verifies to me that your motor is not aimed correctly....you need to drive the dish/motor to 83w using USALS....then go out and re-aim the motor/dish assembly to 83w....

Okay I am going to do a reset Saturday I am off. Well Tron I am good on the 0 setting for now 83W is dead on 0. I live in NE.Ohio and tomorrow we are not expecting rain. Thanks for all the input from everyone.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)