Some bad DP+ Twin LNBF's

Clancy

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 3, 2006
Dealers have been reporting a lot of bad DishPro + Twin Lnbf's lately.
This is the assembly that accepts a feed from a Dish 300 along with its own 110 and 119.
Some are heating up to the point of hot to touch. Others are changing up and down with signal strength. Some are causing different problems with dual tuner receivers.
If you are using a DP+ Twin LNBF assembly and are having unexplained problems with your set-up, it may be the LNBFs.

The remanufactured units that have been sent back seem to be ok.
No recall yet.

Tony S said:
Thanks for letting us know about this! Is E* aware of this problem?

I have been having what seems like a temperature related problem with my DPP LNB:

http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=77802

There are plenty of DP+ Twin's failing. For Dishnetwork to ask you to send in $100. ( as mentioned in your thread 77802 and subsequent replies) for a replacement which is their problem, not the customers, maybe should be looked at by some state attorneys.

I began to have problems with 129 transponders going blank, even numbers 22-32. First recommendation from Tech was to switch over to 61.5. This did not work. They then replaced my dpp twin. Still same problem. Said was 622. Repaced it. Still same problems getting hd programming. Replaced dp dual to pick up 129. Ran direct line from dual(not thru twin) to 622. Still had these losses. they sent me a dp dual. THAT WAS THE PROBLEM. I have sent the dual back to engineering for them to take apart to help find problems with these lnb's

So if some of you are having problems, especially getting certain transponders, check out your lnb's. They say there has been some problem with the soldering.

Clancy said:
Dealers have been reporting a lot of bad DishPro + Twin Lnbf's lately.
This is the assembly that accepts a feed from a Dish 300 along with its own 110 and 119.
Some are heating up to the point of hot to touch. Others are changing up and down with signal strength. Some are causing different problems with dual tuner receivers.
If you are using a DP+ Twin LNBF assembly and are having unexplained problems with your set-up, it may be the LNBFs.

The remanufactured units that have been sent back seem to be ok.
No recall yet.

One of my responsibilities at the shop is entering the trouble call tracker information for all trouble calls, and I must say I enter ALOT of DPP Twin info into the beast (computer) - many DPP Twin fail. Known problem.

Clancy said:
There are plenty of DP+ Twin's failing. For Dishnetwork to ask you to send in $100. ( as mentioned in your thread 77802 and subsequent replies) for a replacement which is their problem, not the customers, maybe should be looked at by some state attorneys.

If your system is not in warranty, it's just that not in warranty. You can always sign up with DHPP for in home warranty plan. I think it's $5.95/mnth or $6.95/mnth. New connects automatically come with a 90 day installation warranty.

Last edited:
dodge said:
I had a couple that when trying to aim with my birdog, once it hit the 119 bird, the birdog would shut down and say lnb short?? so I must have a couple bad ones as well.

Negative... Birdog meters will not work with DPP Twins due to DPP drawing too much current.

I have a customer that has a 522 receiver with a Dish1000 dish. The receiver worked fine for a few weeks then one morning they notice that one tuner does not have signal or channels coming in for 110 but the other tuner does. I talked to customer on the phone. I had them switched the wires on the back where it says satellite 1 and satellite 2 and it has the same issue on the same tuner. Just the 110 channels and 110 signal will not come in on tuner 1. I even had her do a receiver reboot and it still done this. Would this be the result of the DPP twin lnbf being bad or would this be a bad receiver (1st tuner bad)?

Stargazer said:
I have a customer that has a 522 receiver with a Dish1000 dish. The receiver worked fine for a few weeks then one morning they notice that one tuner does not have signal or channels coming in for 110 but the other tuner does. I talked to customer on the phone. I had them switched the wires on the back where it says satellite 1 and satellite 2 and it has the same issue on the same tuner. Just the 110 channels and 110 signal will not come in on tuner 1. I even had her do a receiver reboot and it still done this. Would this be the result of the DPP twin lnbf being bad or would this be a bad receiver (1st tuner bad)?

I always assume it's the LNB or whatever switch is being used before the receiver. Until I can prove otherwise. Particularly on a new connect. And Particularly if a Plus Twin is involved.

I am well aware of Dishnetwork warranties and I am of the opinion that if any of their electronic equipment in this year of 2006 cannot work without breaking down before at least 1 year then it's high time Dishnetwork gets a different manufacturer for their products.
The public deserves to have confidence that the money they are spending is well spent. Should not be a cross your fingers situation with electronics in 2006.

Stargazer said:

My first guess would be the reciever, though ya never know ;)

I had the customer take a DPP lnbf with him and he is going to try that to see if that corrects the problem. I tested the DPP lnbf I gave him to make sure it worked on my receiver which is identical to his and it works on all the channels. If that does not work then it would be the receiver. I was thinking it was the receiver too but with the DPP lnbf problems that are being reported and it being a different beast than the lnbf / switch configurations in the past, I wanted to make sure that this lnbf was not the cause.

I'm saying LNB. Tuners can go bad on the receivers but it's rare. Well except for the 5xx series, some of them had problems with the satellite tuners and that was/is a defective chip.

Just a follow up on the bad DP+ Twins.
It has been reported that the DP+ Twins made in the USA by Cal.Amp. have had problems.

The ones made in China by Sharp are alright.
It was also reported that peaking the dish with a legacy LNBF and then replacing with the DP+ LNBF is easiest.

And now you know the rest of the story. :)

I had the customer replace the DP twin and it still would not work in the second room. I had them look at the check switch screen and all seemed fine there. I had them go ahead and do another check switch. All has been fine since. That was very weird that a simple check switch fixed the problem even though the check switch screen said everything was fine before.

I have found that various combinations of LNBF's and switches and receivers at times need more than one check switch for the system to function. Two or three check switches usually works. Failing that, rebooting helps.

Well things are not all fine. Things failed on tuner 1. Now everything fails. I have them swap the cables then do a check switch. The problem now follows the wire instead of staying on the same tuner. This is very strange. With original DPP twin lnbf it follows the tuner, now it follows the wire. Very confusing.

Stargazer said:
Well things are not all fine. Things failed on tuner 1. Now everything fails. I have them swap the cables then do a check switch. The problem now follows the wire instead of staying on the same tuner. This is very strange. With original DPP twin lnbf it follows the tuner, now it follows the wire. Very confusing.

Try putting new connectors on the cable might just be a single strand touching the centre connector.

I've had that mystify me before. Sometimes the eye misses what it should be seeing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)