Some dish configuration advice?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Slickums

Original poster
Sep 9, 2009
Mexico
Helping a friend here setup his DirecTV stuff. While I have some experience with Dishnet and the general technology, I am not that familiar with the newer Direct stuff. He has a HD Dual Tuner/Pvr unit, brand new but not sure of the model (I can check if needed). We are in a very weak signal area, and his existing setup is two 33" dishes. I helped him aim one at 101W and he is getting TV off that just fine. However, none of the "Locals" are coming in, and we are not sure which satellite to aim the 2nd dish at to get them for the Nogales area. That was the first problem. The second is he popped for the HD service as well. We were told that a "larger" dish was needed in this weak signal area. No problem, we can do that, but WHICH satellite do we aim for to get the HD stuff. Is it on one satellite or more? And lastly, do they make a "switch" to tie these 3 dishes together? I know his old setup had a 22Khz switch, but that only handled 2 sats. Are there switches for DirecTV that handle 3 sats into one Dual Input box? Thanks for the help! Sorry, I put in breaks for paragraphs but they didn't take!

Helping a friend here setup his DirecTV stuff. While I have some experience with Dishnet and the general technology, I am not that familiar with the newer Direct stuff. He has a HD Dual Tuner/Pvr unit, brand new but not sure of the model (I can check if needed). We are in a very weak signal area, and his existing setup is two 33" dishes. I helped him aim one at 101W and he is getting TV off that just fine. However, none of the "Locals" are coming in, and we are not sure which satellite to aim the 2nd dish at to get them for the Nogales area. That was the first problem. The second is he popped for the HD service as well. We were told that a "larger" dish was needed in this weak signal area. No problem, we can do that, but WHICH satellite do we aim for to get the HD stuff. Is it on one satellite or more? And lastly, do they make a "switch" to tie these 3 dishes together? I know his old setup had a 22Khz switch, but that only handled 2 sats. Are there switches for DirecTV that handle 3 sats into one Dual Input box? Thanks for the help! Sorry, I put in breaks for paragraphs but they didn't take!

Unless you are right along the border, it is highly unlikely you will be able to get the hd channels, and unless you are trying to get NYC or LA locals, there is no way you are getting any local channels, either.

My understanding is you can do what you want with three large dishes, you will need to connect all three dishes to a WB68 multiswitch. There are four inputs on the WB68, you will only need to use three. Depending on how far south you are, it may will be difficult to achieve good signal strength....

As JD Spencer said, you need to hit the 99 and 103 satellites for HD.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)