some dvr questions

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

gravdigr

Original poster
Mar 7, 2006
I am a refugee from directv and just got dishinstalled today. Some first impressions. It seems a lot easier to install as the dvr does not need 2 lines from the satellite to use both tuners. The problem. The 2 room dvr is a bit misleading. We were used to tivo where the 1 receiver in the room could record on 1 channel while watching another. but with the 2 room dvr this is not possible (though it is if you just use it in single mode). My problem is now I would like 2 DVRs in single mode and a normal receiver but it seems I cannot get another dvr from dish and keep the single receiver. But I was told I can buy my own dvr and add it to the account. I was told I would have to pay an extra 5.98 plus a $5 extra port fee. Bleh.

So I'm looking around on ebay and I see these DVRs that say no dvr fee? How does that work? Any suggestions on what I should get? I want my final solution to be a dvr in the living room, dvr in the computer room, and single tuner in the bedroom.

They may say no dvr fee on ebay, but once you try to activate with dish you will be charged. there is no exception to this fee for the dual tuner dvr receivers. The only way you wouldn't have to pay is if you get a 501 or 508-but this are single tuner dvr's with less than 100 hours of record time.

The following DVR's do not have DVR fees ...

501, 508, 721

The 501 has 30 hours of storage time, the 508 has 60 hours of storage time. The 501 and 508 only has one tuner.

The 721 has two tuners but only one television output so it is always in single mode (no dual mode capability). It does not have a DVR fee and it has 90-100 hours of DVR storage. I personally think this is one of the better DVR's. It will cost you more than the 501 or 508 though.

The 501 and 508 are supposed to get name based recording later this year. The 721 is not. Name based recording will allow you to record your shows based upon the name and not the time that it comes on. This is a GREAT feature. It is almost a must-have for some people.

There is no DVR fees on the AEP (America's Everything Package). You may want to keep this in mind if you already have a lot of programming as it may not cost much more to upgrade to that package.

I have recently purchased 2 921's on ebay in error. I thought that one auction expired and it had not and I went and bid on a second one and I won both of them. I'm looking to sell one at what I bought it for which was $258. I'll ship it free. Let me know if you are interested as I do not need two of these, I'm going to list it this weekend.

I forgot to mention that even though there may not be any DVR fee's on the receivers that I mention, due to the fact that there is only one television output, you have to think about the possibility of multiple rooms on the DVR's that do come with a fee. The 522/625 had two tuners and if you keep the phoneline connected then you do not have to pay the additional outlet fee on the second tuner. This does not apply to the 721 as there is only one television output therefore no additional fee charged even if you do not connect a phoneline up to it.

For some a 522/625 may be a good choice for them because they would get DVR functionality in two rooms and even though a DVR fee applies, saving money on the additional outlet fee and only needed one DVR receiverr for two rooms makes up for it.

The 501 and 508 are supposed to get name based recording later this year. The 721 is not. Name based recording will allow you to record your shows based upon the name and not the time that it comes on. This is a GREAT feature. It is almost a must-have for some people.

So, if I understand it right, with name based recording you could select a program and it would record that program regardless of what time and channel it came on (like tivo). But without name based recording you have to set the day and time of the shows to be recorded (like a vcr)?

gravdigr said:
So, if I understand it right, with name based recording you could select a program and it would record that program regardless of what time and channel it came on (like tivo). But without name based recording you have to set the day and time of the shows to be recorded (like a vcr)?

Correct.

OK, next question...what is this I keep reading about a yellow card? My 625 has a card slot but no card.

E*'s first receiver models had blue smart cards, when people figured out how to steal programing from them E* switched the blue cards to yellow ones and receivers being introduced also started having newer yellow cards. Newest receivers have the smart cards built in. Harder to maninpulate and steal programing I guess.