Some Interesting Dish Info

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Newbie here....in fact I'm getting dish installed this weekend.

Can the new external storage be easily backed up? Is the VIP622 OS Linux based?

What I'd really like to do is plug the Dish External drive into my PC and then back up the whole drive as an image using my PC back up software.

I'd hate to have a bunch of HD content stored on the external drive and have it die with no back up....

Thanks!

Last edited:
It will take someone experimenting to determine these things.... I do agree that backing up the ENTIRE image may be feasible.

what a pain that would be..think about it, you would have to move all the data off the external HD, then make an image on your pc, assuming you had enough space to make an 500 gig image on your pc..then, you have to move all the files back to the external hd..If you try to create an image on the external HD itself, there wont be enough empty space, most likely..
Unless you have a gigantic empty space on your pc, hd, this will be a tough one.Not even mentioning how long it will take to move about 500 gigs or so back and forth between your local hd and the external one, and then where do you "store" the 500 gig image you will have?

HalfFull-

partimage may work on this as it makes true clone. I am NOT sure, however how it would handle a non-standard file format. Theoretically if it's doing a bit-for-bit image, it should restore it that way as well and it should not matter if it's encrypted or what file system is used, even if it's proprietary.

Best advice at this point would be to hook up a drive, let the 622 format it, move ONE program that you really don't care about from the 622 to the hard drive. Hot plug it into your linux box, see if it gets recognized. As long as it gets a /dev/whatever assignment you SHOULD be able to use partimage on it and make an image. If THAT part works, then see if you can remove all partitions on the drive or wipe it clean another way.

then try restoring the image, walk it over to the 622, plug it in, and see if it is A.) recognized and B.) if the show is intact.

Linux handles non-standard formats better than windows. I think if you plug it into a windows machine it's going to have issues and maybe ask if you want to format it.

This talk of backing up your archive, the time it will take, etc just makes me think "it's just television shows". Granted, you may archive something that is never broadcast again and yeah, that would be nice to have. If you know it will never be shown again, maybe making a DVD backup, even going from HD to SD, is better than nothing.

If the os can see the device; you're golden :D

THose of us that are unix savvy can appreciate:

dd if=/dev/rdsk/c0t3d0s2 of=/dev/rdsk/c1t3d0s2 bs=128K

It's that simple really ;) Only assumption is that the partitions are the same size :D

Cheers,

hall,

I agree. I just can't see building a "library" of hard drives. Some folks might, though. So... whatever floats your boat I guess. Different strokes and all that. I am personally only likely to use this feature for temporary overflow storage.

I think I've used this example before, but if I want Planet Earth to watch over and over again or to save and watch or to show other people... I'd invest in the DVD set before I'd invest in a hard drive just for that series.

Not exactly HD quality, but.... *shrug* .... it's TV. I have other things to do. This is a nice feature. I LIKE the idea of having this option available, but right this moment and in its current form it's just a neat toy with limited usefulness.

A nice first step. And a welcome one, but it's not what they said it would be and that's a bit of a disappointment. I'll be one of those that does without, until they improve the usefulness of the feature.

This talk of backing up your archive, the time it will take, etc just makes me think "it's just television shows".

Yes, you are probably right. But I've always been kind of a data back-up freak...guess it shows, huh.

Thanks, everyone, for their responses....lots of useful info on this forum:)

I love it. Some folks will spend thousands of dollars for the best HDTV and Theater sound systems but won't pop for $39.95 for DVR external storage??? As Dennis Hopper would say....
"that's just plain crazy, man!"

hall,

I agree. I just can't see building a "library" of hard drives. Some folks might, though. So... whatever floats your boat I guess. Different strokes and all that. I am personally only likely to use this feature for temporary overflow storage.

I think I've used this example before, but if I want Planet Earth to watch over and over again or to save and watch or to show other people... I'd invest in the DVD set before I'd invest in a hard drive just for that series.

Not exactly HD quality, but.... *shrug* .... it's TV. I have other things to do. This is a nice feature. I LIKE the idea of having this option available, but right this moment and in its current form it's just a neat toy with limited usefulness.

A nice first step. And a welcome one, but it's not what they said it would be and that's a bit of a disappointment. I'll be one of those that does without, until they improve the usefulness of the feature.

Well, I bought a HD-DVD (could've done the same for Blu-ray) player and the box set of "Planet Earth" for that very reason. What I can't easily (Okay--cheaply--component input capable PC cards cost an arm and a leg.) put onto a high def disc are things from Food Network, HGTV, Rush and Ultra HD. These are things that I watch over and over and point out to people.

Well, I bought a HD-DVD (could've done the same for Blu-ray) player and the box set of "Planet Earth" for that very reason. What I can't easily (Okay--cheaply--component input capable PC cards cost an arm and a leg.) put onto a high def disc are things from Food Network, HGTV, Rush and Ultra HD. These are things that I watch over and over and point out to people.
$350 is an arm-and-a-leg?
http://www.blackmagic-design.com/products/intensity/techspecs/

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts