Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
Today was an interesting day, as I got to speak to a few interesting folks at Dish and they passed along some interesting information to me, which I in turn am passing to you. :)

The official release date of the External USB storage is August 15th, here there is a chance we could see it a week earlier.

Dish Network will officially support external USB drives up to 750 gigabytes in size, however other larger drives may work on the 622 / 722 but Dish Network will not be officially supporting larger drives at this time. (So in other words try it at your own risk, as it may work, or it may not.) :)

The official USB Hard Drive enabling fee is $39.99. (This confirms what was mentioned earlier today by MrBoylan.) this is a one time fee.

You WILL be able to move the hard drives to other 622 / 722's in your house and enjoy recorded shows on any of your 622's or 722's that you have. However you wont be able to bring your drive to a friends house and watch recorded shows on their 622/722. (This will work at LAUNCH, for awhile there they said they hoped to have this feature available shortly after launch)

An interesting feature was told to me, was that you will be able to somehow hook up your 622 to your 722 and transfer shows between them. (It was not explained to me how this was done)

And finally DishONLINE might not make it out in August, there is a glitch which they have found which may hold up its august release.

My thanks to the folks that I talked to today who passed this info along. :D

$39.99 might hold me up on trying this out for now. Does Dish still plan on allowing you to connect a external HD to a 211 and use the 211 as a DVR?

We did not talk about that. Last I heard that was coming in December.

I am not sure if that $39.99 charge would cover the 211 since you are upgrading it to a DVR not just adding more storage.

Good job Scott as always. I'm really excited to finally get external storage. Been waiting since the 921 came out!

I'm pleased and disappointed at the same time..

new features are always nice and they tend to make switching from one provider (D*, E*, Cable, etc) to another a little easier, but when most are offering features for free and the other charges for features more people will wind up shying away for the nickle and dime company.. especially when word gets around..

It's not like we aren't paying a DVR fee already which should cover enhancements.. even Tivo offers new features for free since you're paying a monthly fee.. seriously cant begin to state my disappointment.. The transfering between boxes (most likely through ethernet) would be a HUUUUUGE plus..

I would be more impressed if and when they include the feature of 622 #1 tells 622 #2 that it has 2 OTA items it wants to record at the same time and #2 says it's free and records it on #1's behalf and transfers the recording over once it's done .. now then I'd be VERY impressed.. :)

$40 ain't bad. I will probably pay it. I knew it would be some price. I wonder how they came up with $39.99...

This might be a dumb question but is this per drive?? That might be disappointing...

Dish makes it difficult for me to stay with them: Big10 HD, FSN WI HD, some premiums HD, which D* promised to deliver... Now this ridiculous USB fee.
I will wait for D* to deliver and maybe just move on.

Me :D... I have about a TB full of Replay recordings that are in Jeopardy now ;) bye Survivor...

I am not a Dish owner but have friends that are. Would you be able to take the USB drive full of DISH recordings and then connect to a PC to off-load and archive to a DVD? Like what we ReplayTV users have done for years?

I am not a Dish owner but have friends that are. Would you be able to take the USB drive full of recording and the connect to a PC to off-load and archive to a DVD? Like what we ReplayTV users have done for years?

Im gonna say no, not with DRM. Other than between the two drives I think thats it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)