Some Interesting Dish Info

Now tell me DTV and CableCo have agreement with content providers from Mars/Moon/Venus ! One use eSATA, others FireWire WITHOUT fee and limits !
Remember from DTV and even cable, this is not an official feature. There is NO support for it, and there is no guarentee what works today will work tommorow.

On dish this is an official supported product.

Smith, honestly I'm tired of listening to your nonsense. If you don't want the feature then don't pay for it. If you think that D* or cable will do a better job of supporting the features that you want then go there.

39.99 no thanks who the hell stores that much TV anyway.

I think $40 is fine as a one-time fee.

There are so many good movies in HD that I want to be able to archive; it makes it much easier than having to build a HD DVD or BR library.

Right now I have three of the six Star Wars films in OAR HD waiting to be archived :D

I will pay the $40. But it had better work flawlessly from day one. I don't want to move shows to another drive after they enable it and have the software flake.

Come on people $40 bucks is not bad at all! Heck wait and see what other TV Service Providers will charge and what their DVR Fees are. Heck in the long run I think folks will be happy with the way Dish is offering this compared to others. I know one thing I will have several friends happy about the news due to they been waiting to here when this was going to happen.

Now on one of Scott questions on how they will transfer data from one 622 to a 722. Well they should be able to go USB to USB then just transfer the data that way or using Ethernet. Overall as long as the hardware can see one another should not be a issue.

Ok, a little off topic but possibly still on. I checked my version and found that I have L409 on my 622. I hooked up my external HDD and got the following message. Attention: You have connected a multimedia device to the USB port. Would you like to view and manage its contents at this time? I chose yes and got a Multimedia menu that has My DISH Receiver|My Photos 1 and External USB Devices|USB Storage 2. I selected 2 and got DISH Recordings(Manage Device and Send to Device). I tried both and got This feature is currently not supported.

The question that I have is, has this happened prior to 409 or has this not happened before? Thanks.

Ok, a little off topic but possibly still on. I checked my version and found that I have L409 on my 622. I hooked up my external HDD and got the following message. Attention: You have connected a multimedia device to the USB port. Would you like to view and manage its contents at this time? I chose yes and got a Multimedia menu that has My DISH Receiver|My Photos 1 and External USB Devices|USB Storage 2. I selected 2 and got DISH Recordings(Manage Device and Send to Device). I tried both and got This feature is currently not supported.

The question that I have is, has this happened prior to 409 or has this not happened before? Thanks.
Its been around for quite awhile... :)

I really wonder, from a technical standpoint, how this one time enabling fee will be well, enabled. Its not really practical to push new firmware just to enable it, so I would assume a tier on the card to be flagged with an "OK" on "ERD". The receivers FW would check the card for the tier, if so, it unlocks the external recording features, if not, it stays locked up.

Come to think of it, I answered my own question!

The fee is worth it. I have all of Live Earth in HD waiting to be archived on one of my many spare hard drives.

For those of you who don't like the fee...

Don't pay it and don't archive/expand. Its cost money to develop software for a feature a minority of subs really want.

Will a 5400 hard drive work or do need 7200?

Will the recording be played directly from the external drive or do have to move back to 622?

Its funny that people have been beating fists on drums to have usb storage for as long as the ports have been on these receivers, then the news is anounced that its coming out and then the drums get louder as they want it now now now and when its anounced for its release and a small fee ( yes its small, they could have truely been greedy and set a fee of $200 or set a monthly fee of $5 ) and now the drums are beating in protest. Im with Scott on this one fully, if you dont like the fee then dont get the service, wait a year or two and the price will probably be half or even less.

we'll all have terrabyte upon terrabyte of movies and tv shows archived

And we still won't be able to find anything we want to watch!

I'm with Scott on this one. $40 is not too much for this. E* probably spent more on lawyers than they did on programming. Plus they will have to support this feature.