Some Interesting Dish Info

He posted his info, you said it wasn't finalized yet, then you were told the same thing. Why is it when he posted it, it wasn't final or official, but when you did, it was ??

Me myself have no problem paying $40 for this feature as here just 2 weeks ago dish sent me a 622 for free to replace my 211 & 811, so the way i look at it they gave me a $400 dvr so me giving them $40 one time im still ahead of the game

$40 ain't bad. I will probably pay it. I knew it would be some price. I wonder how they came up with $39.99...

This might be a dumb question but is this per drive?? That might be disappointing...

Hey, this is better than them supplying one brand of drive at twice the market cost to monetize their investment.....

Believe me, this is a cheap "vig" to basically give you unlimited storage (however much you want to add)

I'll pay it to order to be able to archive all 6 Star Wars film in HD plus others not available on HD-DVD or Blu-Ray.

... and I'll pay it to be able to move all of my recording to a high quality / high lifespan drive. I have had my 622 die on me twice, and both times I lost a bunch of recordings. Not any more.

There will be a monthly fee on the 211 is you turn it into a DVR as there is for any DVR on Dish Network.

For those who wondered whether the 501/508/510 dvrs would ever get name based recording , the answer is NO . The 211 with a external hard drive is your answer if you only want to record one thing at a time.

I have two fears.

1. That Dish will decide to one day abandon this $40 fee and I will feel dumb for having paid it in the first place. I remember when the OTA 8VSB tuner for a Dish 6000 receiver was $150 and the 8PSK module was $79. I paid for both. Not too long later the 8PSK module was free and the 8VSB could be had from Dish for $9 + shipping.

2. That this will eventually evolve like the DVRs did into a monthly fee. Does the phrase "we were leaving money on the table" ring any bells out there? At least if we get in on this now, we will likely be grandfathered if they go that route. Like 501/508 DVRs.

The problem with the latter is that you may "lose" your grandfathered state when you have to upgrade you receiver for some reason. I had to do so when I got frustrated with the space limits on my two 501 units. I went up to two 522 units just before they were freely available (bought on ebay). I loved the extra space, but I still didn't like the extra monthly "because we can" fee. :)

Though I paid it because I loved the space better.

Now I am, ironically, paying Dish #18+ a month just to let my two 522s access my "free" lifetime SkyAngel sub (whcih will be going away soon from the looks of it). But I keep paying it because I love the amount of space. :)

I am tempted to jump to HD, but not quite tempted enough yet.

Brad

I'd rather pay a one time fee than $5 a month as previously stated.

With the 211 USB Drive combo (when its ready) you can turn your 211 into a DVR.

Therefore you can record directly to the drive. :)
I'd rather pay a one-time fee than $5 a month as previously stated. Have I heard it correctly that there is no monthly fee?

If this works well it is a bargain. I think of it as recovering R & D. I’d like to think they feel new features are worthwhile investing in. So I hope this is popular.

What is the deal on “on demand” you still pay a big price for this. It is not like the Comcast on demand function, which is mostly a standard perk of the service.

That’s my 2 bits. :hungry:

Just to clarify.....

I just want to make sure I understand this correctly first.....

1. For $40 one time, you can enable using an external hard drive on the 622. This means you can use as many hard drives as you want. They don't charge $40 for each hard drive connected, they are charging $40 to enable the 622 to use the hard drives.

2. You can play back from the external hard drive.

Naysayers should explain themselves.....

I've noticed a a number of people thinking they are being "nickel and dimed" by dish, and this is the latest example of that. I haven't read much as to why they think that.

There are a few issues I see wth this.

First, does anybody remember why we are charged this VOD fee every month?? The 508 wasn't charged the VOD fee, the 721 wasn't charged the VOD fee. Do you remember why?

The VOD fee is charged monthly BECAUSE OF THE HARD DRIVE! Specifically, it has been charged on DVRs with a hard drive bigger than 100GB.

This makes me leary of what is going on here. 1st, it could be argued that we are being charged again for adding hard drive space to something we are already paying a monthly fee for.

Second, it makes me wonder if they might decide later on to start charging a montly fee for external hard drives over a certain size. The DVR fee might not be $6/mo, it might become $12/mo, or $18/mo or whatever they decide. They can charge now based on how many drives, or how big the drives are.

The next issue is development cost.

How many of you would gladly pay Microsoft $40 every time you added a hard drive to your computer?? Maybe you would pay Apple? How about a $40 donation to Linux? External hard drives are supported on all three platforms. You can add external hard drives to an HTPC without this cost. I a pay $5.98 DVR fee, a $6 HD Enabling Fee, a $6 access fee, locals don't cost me $5/mo, they cost me an extra dollar, $6/mo. These fees add up to pay for infrastructure, customer support, development, etc.. We all pay most of them, the access fee is hidden in the AT package for most.

An OEM version of Windows XP costs $140, that money included software updates and patches for over five years now (they are still being developed and will continue for years to come). Windows has a lot more users than Dish network does, but Mac OS is far more comparable. Their market share is less than 5%, and they sell about 20 million computers per year, mostly to their installed base. A copy of OS X costs about $130 and is also supported over many years.

The DVR software is not as complicated as an operating system. A free HTPC DVR program, Myth TV, which is more full featured than the 622 was written by a single person on his spare time.

Development costs are well paid for by the $6 DVR fee. They even developed software before there was a DVR fee, when Dish said there never would be a DVR fee after they got rid of the Microsoft agreement.

I would not be surprised if this does not turn out to be the last external hard drive fee. Charlie was a professional poker player wasn't he? He treats his vendors and his customers like he is playing poker. Remember the Viacomm standoff when we lost CBS for a few days?? That was called a bluff!

For those who wondered whether the 501/508/510 dvrs would ever get name based recording , the answer is NO . The 211 with a external hard drive is your answer if you only want to record one thing at a time.
Do you have some insight into the ViP211 getting NBR as a result of adding an external drive?

The VOD fee is charged monthly BECAUSE OF THE HARD DRIVE! Specifically, it has been charged on DVRs with a hard drive bigger than 100GB.
The 508 has VOD, yet doesn't sustain a VOD fee. I'm not sure I buy your long-winded argument. You don't get much more VOD on the 510 than you do on the 508 (if any).

I have no desire to subscribe to VOD service; especially if I must pay a premium for the movies.

1. For $40 one time, you can enable using an external hard drive on the 622. This means you can use as many hard drives as you want. They don't charge $40 for each hard drive connected, they are charging $40 to enable the 622 to use the hard drives.

Correct on both

I will pay the $40. But it had better work flawlessly from day one. I don't want to move shows to another drive after they enable it and have the software flake.

Thats my thing....I don't mind paying it if it works....If I pay the $40.00 and then have to spend hours on the phone with some guy from India, that 1). I cannot understand and 2) doesn't know jack about what I am talking about, That will just totally ruin it and make me want to leave. I sincerely hope they are doing a crapload of testing!

1) One flat $40 charge for all the compatable receivers in your house for as many drives as you want. :)

2) Yes you can play back off the drive. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts