Some menu changes coming to VIP receivers

CK SatGuy

Formerly ckhalil18
Original poster
Feb 7, 2011
The Motor City
I found this little PDF on Dish/Echostar techportal explaining some changes to the menus are on the way beginning in March. Nothing major, but enough to notice some differences.

Attachments

• ReceiverMenuUpdates_EXT.pdf
    221.1 KB · Views: 1,537
I am not sure I understand the change to the manual timers. It looks like they are limiting the number of times the timer will kick in. How does this help me? Thanks for letting us know about this thouh.

Well now. I think this will make the menus much clearer. I think some are implemented already, such as the VOD banner ad. I particularly like the new ability to set recording preferences to SD or HD, the default to "new" episodes rather than "all", and the auto resolution setting for HDMI outputs which should help a lot of folks see HD for the first time. ;) It also appears that the guide can be set to HD-only when there exists 2 channels (SD and HD), though the meaning of that menu is unclear. :(

I am not sure I understand the change to the manual timers. It looks like they are limiting the number of times the timer will kick in. How does this help me? Thanks for letting us know about this thouh.

I don't think so. I think the DEFAULT will now be 20, but as always you can change it.

I already disabled the VOD banner ad the 1st day I got my 722k because 1) it's annoying and 2) I think it increases the guide response time (and it's already slow sometimes without the banner) Also, I'm curious about the HDMI auto-detect. My HDTV is 1080p capable. Does this me that the resolution will now be 1080p thanks to the auto-detect or will it still be 1080i? Guess I'll find out when the update arrives.

Last edited:
Also, I'm curious about the HDMI auto-detect. My HDTV is 1080p capable. Does this me that the resolution will now be 1080p thanks to the auto-detect or will it still be 1080i? Guess I'll find out when the update arrives.

The Dish Receiver is not capable of 1080P, so no.

rthomp03 said:
These are nice, but I wish they would spend their time fixing the aspect issue on the ViP-622-722. It's a real PITA.

What aspect issue?

Sent from my DROIDX

Wish they were like the Directv boxes where you have the ability to enter in a primary & secondary market via zip code and have all the program guide data available whether or not DISH offers the channel. Also it would be nice if the program data info didn't stop at the border (Canada).

Tampa8 said:
The Dish Receiver is not capable of 1080P, so no.

Actually the rcvrs are capable of 1080p24. Some of the vod's are in 1080p24. The only reason regular programing is not is due to size and mainly because very few if any channels come in 1080p. So why put it as an option?

the auto resolution setting for HDMI outputs which should help a lot of folks see HD for the first time. ;) (

...unless their TV's HDMI handling is broken, Dish's HDMI handling is broken, or Mercury is retrograde, in which case a lot of folks will be seeing SD for the first time ;)

Still no option for forcing a manual recording onto a specific tuner when in dual mode. I know there are workarounds, but why can't it just be a simple selection from the menu...

The only reason regular programing is not is due to size and mainly because very few if any channels come in 1080p. So why put it as an option?

The reason I asked was because I think on Directv's receivers, they have 1080p as a resolution option (which I think is cool, although I've never tried it since I never had D*)

Actually the rcvrs are capable of 1080p24. Some of the vod's are in 1080p24. The only reason regular programing is not is due to size and mainly because very few if any channels come in 1080p. So why put it as an option?

Are you saying if a VOD movie in 1080P is being broadcast by Dish, the receiver will pass that along to a 1080P TV and display at 1080P? Can people who have actually seen this post please? I am very skeptical that the receiver will pass along 1080P as 1080P.....Can people can tell me a current movie they get in 1080P - not that is just broadcast in 1080P? If the receiver is capable of that I can't believe it isn't an option then, but stranger things have happened!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts