Some of my dishes and a satellite antenna.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

remlap

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 25, 2012
Wales
Here are my dishes listed in my signature

Diseqc Gibertini 104cm different LNB now though old Invacom finally chucked in replaced with Technomate TM-1 Quad.

Channel Master 1m used for picking out satellites when needed. Right now pointed at 22°W for Reuters feeds.

Also may interest you guys in North America my Revox AS-2000 Horn Antenna it's from the early nineties originally only worked with KU DBS band back then but the LNB been swapped out for a Universal, don't worry the lnb outputs have been sealed up with amalgamated tape, the photos were taken the day it was fitted.

Not photographed but now near the 104cm Gibi is a 90cm Gibertini 4 LNB Dish with 9e-13e-19.2e-28.2/5e that also allows me to pull in some of 7e :D

The Channel Master 1m which I am currently getting bits to motorise it with a actutator previously I posted my restoration of a Polar Mount.

My back garden is a mess.

Attachments

• Channel Master 1m.jpg
    Channel Master 1m.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 658
  • Gibertini 1m.jpg
    Gibertini 1m.jpg
    183.7 KB · Views: 608
  • horn.JPG
    horn.JPG
    142.7 KB · Views: 1,743
Could you, please, share more info about this Revox AS - 2000 Horn Antenna? Is it good to receive FTA ? What are its dimensions? Is its inner surface a cone, or, paraboloid of rotation? Cheers, polgyver

Here is a photo of it I've found online. It has a Fresnel lens inside, they were designed to replace 60cm dishes.

There is a company making similar horn antennas today in Egypt and even motorising them on diseqc motors.

Attachments

• CH_Revox_AS2000_Antenne_type.jpg
    CH_Revox_AS2000_Antenne_type.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 1,010
Last edited:
>> Revox AS-2000 << That's one odd lookin' "dish" I remember, many years ago, of plans in one of the hobbyist magazines to construct a C band fresnel out of plywood and, at least, aluminum foil. Glad I didn't attempt. If I remember right, it was HUGH!

Here is a photo of it I've found online. It has a Fresnel lens inside, they were designed to replace 60cm dishes.

There is a company making similar horn antennas today in Egypt and even motorising them on diseqc motors.

I googled Revox AS - 2000, but did not get any info, except the same picture on UK satellite. What satellite do you receive through it? What is its diameter? What material is the Fresnel lens made of? Cheers, polgyver

I googled Revox AS - 2000, but did not get any info, except the same picture on UK satellite. What satellite do you receive through it? What is its diameter? What material is the Fresnel lens made of? Cheers, polgyver

Astra 1 cluster at 19.2e as it was designed for, but see no reason why it wouldn't work with other high powered satellites/clusters over Europe

30cm diameter

Fresenl Lens I believe is perspex.

Cheers

remlap,

Is it FTA friendly, and if so what satellite(s) do you receive with it. It looks so portable and easy to use on a small tripod if it works.

Thank You.

Unfortunately, it would not have adequate gain for the FSS KU satellites here in North America. The European FSS satellites have much higher EIRP in the main footprints and it is often practical to use lower gain dishes in the target distribution regions.

It would be fun to mount a DBS circular for Dish/DirecTV/Bell here in North America!!!

Last edited:
remlap,

Is it FTA friendly, and if so what satellite(s) do you receive with it. It looks so portable and easy to use on a small tripod if it works.

Thank You.

Not sure what you mean by FTA friendly?

It isn't very portable to be honest, its very weighty item, here it be much easier to mount a 40cm dish on a tripod, you could do that for about £40 here if you want new gear.

>>FTA friendly [provider]<< Programming providers who actually enjoy citizens using their own equipment to enjoy their programming, FREE. NOT requiring a subscription. Advertiser supported. Very few on this continent.
>>FTA friendly [dish]<< Think that was answered by SatAV. Recap-Not for our weaker N.A. satellites.

Last edited:
>>FTA friendly<< Programming providers who actually enjoy citizens using their own equipment to enjoy their programming, FREE. NOT requiring a subscription. Advertiser supported. Very few on this continent.

Hmm, I was assuming what was meant was good for satellites with FTA. Here every satellite and cluster has FTA some more than others.

Hmm, I was assuming what was meant was good for satellites with FTA. Here every satellite and cluster has FTA some more than others.

Unfortunately for us in North America, FTA is not very widespread, and the pay satellite services hold somewhat of a monopoly on entertainment received from satellites. Most of the FTA we receive is not intended for Direct To Home, rather it is uplinked for cable providers and broadcasters. There are many "wild feeds", which can be anything from news reporters in the field to sports events. These feeds offer some of the best FTA programming in North America, in my opinion. You never know what you'll stumble across while scanning the skies ;) ...

Oh yes feeds are common here as well, maybe even more common, I like the catch, be it maybe an odd channel, or a weak transponder on a satellite I shouldn't be getting.

Cheers for the explanation.

Unfortunately for us in North America, FTA is not very widespread, and the pay satellite services hold somewhat of a monopoly...
And it's even more extreme in Canada. Under the guise of "protection of Canadian entertainment culture", a government organization called CRTC in this country prohibits any Canadian resident from receiving any subscription TV from outside our country, even when there is no similar source from within the country to protect. A good example of government control out of control. The best example is that it is against the law here to receive satellite services such as Dish from the U.S. which carries many international stations that cannot be received in any way legally inside Canada. This has created over the decades a very small number of huge broadcast enterprises that have taken over all broadcast and print media, and which wield unacceptable control over what Canadians have access to.

FTA is a rare alternative outside the control of the CRTC. So although North America may have the finest collection of television entertainment sources in the world, you Europeans should be proud of the freedom to the airwaves that you enjoy via FTA.

It's not really freedom of the airwaves, satellite broadcasting is regulated in every country within Europe, its more it makes commercial or practical sense to be in the clear.

It's not really freedom of the airwaves, satellite broadcasting is regulated in every country within Europe, its more it makes commercial or practical sense to be in the clear.
Regulations can often be good and may be necessary. Commercial or practical reasons determining in the clear broadcasting is capitalism at work and that's good too. But other than countries like North Korea, maybe China, Myanmar, are you aware of any other country in the world that prohibits its citizens by law from receiving telecommunications signals from another country? This is one of Canada's embarrassing not-so-secret secrets. Like many laws, this may have made sense at one time (debatable). Now this law protects companies like Bell, Shaw, Rogers...among the largest telecommunications and publishing entities in the world, I would guess.

Iran prohibits it but its generally ignored, the security forces try to dismantle dishes but they pop back up.

I had no idea that Canada blocked reception of foreign broadcasts, how are the cable and satellite companies able to carry US stations on their systems?

So what you are doing in Canada is a grey area?

I will make this my last comment on this subject since it's off-topic. No, Canada does not block reception of foreign broadcasts. Canada prohibits the reception of encrypted satellite signals unless the method for decryption is provided by a Canadian entity. This is why encrypted Dish or Direct TV reception here is illegal, even if you pay for the service. All American programs on American stations seen via cable in Canada are blocked and substituted with the Canadian network carrying the same program at the same time, if there is one. That means: no Superbowl commercials can be seen in Canada via cable, and endless trouble for Canadian viewers if an American live program runs overtime and the Canadian company has to switch to a different program at the top of the hour.

By the way, it's not illegal to own Dish or Direct TV equipment; only illegal to use it for its intended purpose. I'm not aware of any action that has ever been taken against an individual user, other than threats from the government, but there have been significant actions taken against Canadian companies that sold American satellite receivers and associated equipment to residents of Canada.

What we do with FTA is completely legal. There is no law against receiving any unencrypted signals, for example FTA or any other kind of unscrambled broadcasting. Ironically, OTA from the US is completely legal even while the same programming delivered via encrypted satellite may be illegal to receive. So the majority of Canadians living within OTA signal reception distance of an American city can watch it if they choose; those who live beyond OTA signal reach cannot. Watching FTA originated by any country is completely legal in Canada.

It's a mess that probably costs Canadians millions of $ annually in government costs.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)